Any Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEN

Hi I am new on here. I am single, female and am trying to do my own repairs at home. The coving and cornicing was removed from my ceiling for repair, and in the wait for the new one, which may be a month, i want to cover the gaps up. Should I use plaster of paris. I want to seal the area, and then the landlord can attach the new coving. Any tips from your experienced members would be very much appreciated. Yours Jen:RpS_unsure:

Alright jen:RpS_thumbup:Why not get the guys who took it down to fill your gap,why's it takin a month anyway?

Hi Fatarm, that would be the ideal. It will be happening eventually and underline eventually, due to costs to my landlord. I am expecting a friend from abroad on holiday and the ceiling is a mess, i dont know what to do. I have asked the landlord and he says it will happen, but its going to take time.

Hi I am new on here. I am single, female and am trying to do my own repairs at home. The coving and cornicing was removed from my ceiling for repair, and in the wait for the new one, which may be a month, i want to cover the gaps up. Should I use plaster of paris. I want to seal the area, and then the landlord can attach the new coving. Any tips from your experienced members would be very much appreciated. Yours Jen:RpS_unsure:

I would wait the month. If you get this wrong and you end up proud you will cause a big problem for the new corniche installers.

If they had any sense they would have done it already so it was dried out and ready.

Fatarm, the old corniche has probably been sent off to be replicated. It takes time to make the mould, run it and ship it off. I used to work in a fibrous plaster shop. Unless there is an urgency one off's have to wait there turn.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks Fatarm, that is very helpful. I will just have to be very patient. Its just that it looks terrible and my friend is due over to visit. Thanks very much, Jen :)

Fatarm, the old corniche has probably been sent off to be replicated. It takes time to make the mould, run it and ship it off. I used to work in a fibrous plaster shop. Unless there is an urgency one off's have to wait there turn.
cheers rigsby, do you have to take all the old cornice away to run a mould? Can you not take just a section or a profile? It's not somthing I'm familiar with

cheers rigsby, do you have to take all the old cornice away to run a mould? Can you not take just a section or a profile? It's not somthing I'm familiar with

Both. I used to take a profile as that is what we worked off in the shop.

The way I was thinkin was the op had a full length of cornice or more removed, leavin a right eyesore. Where as I thought the guys who were doin the job could have just taken a piece say bout 300mm long, done the mould of new lengths required. Leavin her with only a small area of mess for the Time being till they came back to fit the new? Or am I all wrong rigsby?.. Mabye it is just a small piece the op is talkin about:RpS_unsure:

The way I was thinkin was the op had a full length of cornice or more removed, leavin a right eyesore. Where as I thought the guys who were doin the job could have just taken a piece say bout 300mm long, done the mould of new lengths required. Leavin her with only a small area of mess for the Time being till they came back to fit the new? Or am I all wrong rigsby?.. Mabye it is just a small piece the op is talkin about:RpS_unsure:

It may have ready for falling down so it was removed before it fell down. I would have done the plastering repair first though unless this was like an emergency call out. risk removed and get the work done in one operation.

I don't like the idea of sticking new corniche up with tile adhesive onto just set plaster though.

It could just be a small area like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.