Another new member

Members online

No members online now.

rroobb21

Hi all just wanted to introduce my self rob here
I'm having a career change at the ripe old age of 42.Im an engineer at the moment with a full apprenticeship and have done the same thing since school.
Iv not enjoyed my job for yrs and fed up moaning about it without doing anything ,the same hrs being controlled by bell end managers has finally pushed me over the edge haha
So iv booked in for a city and guilds /nvq qualification course early next yr and planning on after getting bit of experience learn how to venetian plaster
Will start by doing the odd job on weekends and in between shifts just to gain as much experience as I can.
Anyway wishing everyone a happy xmas

Honestly mate you'd be off your head to leave a job in engineering to start out as a plaster at 42. You've no idea how hard it's going to be to first get to a good level and second have enough work and contacts that you will make money. All the best anyway

Do it bud and if you stick to the Venetian we won't have a problem;)......only joking good luck you will need it it's a hard job to get into at your age! Get ready for muscles to ache that you didn't know you had. Maybe the Venetian stuff a good idea but what they teach you ain't gonna be enough you probably need to jump on with a Venetian guy as a labourer willing to learn on a lower rate if anyone will take you, as us plasterers are lonely miserable c**ts that hate people! That's me anyway good luck welcome to the forum:bailando:

Welcome to the forum.Don’t mean to sound negative but you’d be mad to give up a job as an engineer to become a plasterer at 42.But then again stranger things have happened.Good luck.

Do it bud and if you stick to the Venetian we won't have a problem;)......only joking good luck you will need it it's a hard job to get into at your age! Get ready for muscles to ache that you didn't know you had. Maybe the Venetian stuff a good idea but what they teach you ain't gonna be enough you probably need to jump on with a Venetian guy as a labourer willing to learn on a lower rate if anyone will take you, as us plasterers are lonely miserable c**ts that hate people! That's me anyway good luck welcome to the forum:bailando:
I’d def meet the miserable c**ts criteria . Not a great fan of ppl either .
Thanks for all the replies sort of what I expected . I wasn’t thinking of giving up immediately , as I work weekend shift some mths I could do work in the week. Was just thinking of another trade which actually interests me.

So the general opinion is not to leave my factory job. I do understand what your all saying but i just wanted to gain another skill so if I ever did lose my job for what ever reason I could earn some extra money and have another skill to fall back on rather than go into another factory. The shifts I work would give me time to train and do the odd job to gain experience,i also have quite a few friends in the construction industry who could maybe put small jobs my way.
I really have had enough of the job I'm in and going to another engineering firm would be like out of the frying pan into the fire.
thanks again for all the input.

So the general opinion is not to leave my factory job. I do understand what your all saying but i just wanted to gain another skill so if I ever did lose my job for what ever reason I could earn some extra money and have another skill to fall back on rather than go into another factory. The shifts I work would give me time to train and do the odd job to gain experience,i also have quite a few friends in the construction industry who could maybe put small jobs my way.
I really have had enough of the job I'm in and going to another engineering firm would be like out of the frying pan into the fire.
thanks again for all the input.
Just go for it if you can try it out round your job, everyone spends prob 90% of their lives at work and life is way too short to be miserable!

I'd be interested how many self employed plasterers would swap places with you, quite a few I'd imagine. Someone should do a poll and see what the consensus is. Self employment or full time engineering job with holiday pay/pensions and more free time.

I'd be interested how many self employed plasterers would swap places with you, quite a few I'd imagine. Someone should do a poll and see what the consensus is. Self employment or full time engineering job with holiday pay/pensions and more free time.
Yeah those are the good things for sure. It all depends on what makes you happy I guess. The bad things are being controlled in everything you do . What time you have a break and for how long . Can’t even have a good sh*t without being asked where you’ve been . I think ppl always think the grass is greener. I’m under no allusions how hard it would be.

Welcome Rob

Give it a go while you have the engineering job as well...

Where are you based? Maybe get palled up and get some proper experience....

Good luck

A friend of mine runs a manufacturing firm, they wanted a meeting room which I did for them, and the few days I was there it’s was grim, I don’t know how they do it. Being stuck in a factory all day is not for me

Yeah those are the good things for sure. It all depends on what makes you happy I guess. The bad things are being controlled in everything you do . What time you have a break and for how long . Can’t even have a good sh*t without being asked where you’ve been . I think ppl always think the grass is greener. I’m under no allusions how hard it would be.
But you are controlled being self employed. Phone constantly going trying to juggle what days you go where and you know how bad it is if you can't make it on a the day you said.

Hi all just wanted to introduce my self rob here
I'm having a career change at the ripe old age of 42.Im an engineer at the moment with a full apprenticeship and have done the same thing since school.
Iv not enjoyed my job for yrs and fed up moaning about it without doing anything ,the same hrs being controlled by bell end managers has finally pushed me over the edge haha
So iv booked in for a city and guilds /nvq qualification course early next yr and planning on after getting bit of experience learn how to venetian plaster
Will start by doing the odd job on weekends and in between shifts just to gain as much experience as I can.
Anyway wishing everyone a happy xmas

lots of plasterers would love to work in engineering :D I know I would for sure :D

Welcome along :D

Most people wanna get out of the trade but if you love it can give it a go always got the option to go back to your other job, it’s not an easy trade and doing few walls indoors isn’t the reality, many on here are just saying from personal experience,and for most we were think cnuts and we didn’t pick plastering plastering chose us

I apprenticed as a lathe operator and worked my way through various aerospace jobs, changing about every 2 years. After 20 or so years I got sick of idiots running the business.
Left to teach Pysics at GCSE/A-level. 8 years later got sick of idiots running the business.
Left to become self employed builder, now I only have to put up with one idiot running the business!

It's physically demanding but I think it really comes down to what you can afford. If you don't need to be making massive wodges then you can afford to get trained up and do like runswithscissors says and team up with someone. Labouring/assisting a skilled plasterer will advance you massively. I'm always watching other tradesmen to steal any good ideas that they may have.

It's graft but it's more rewarding than sitting in a meeting playing bullshit bingo.

I apprenticed as a lathe operator and worked my way through various aerospace jobs, changing about every 2 years. After 20 or so years I got sick of idiots running the business.
Left to teach Pysics at GCSE/A-level. 8 years later got sick of idiots running the business.
Left to become self employed builder, now I only have to put up with one idiot running the business!

It's physically demanding but I think it really comes down to what you can afford. If you don't need to be making massive wodges then you can afford to get trained up and do like runswithscissors says and team up with someone. Labouring/assisting a skilled plasterer will advance you massively. I'm always watching other tradesmen to steal any good ideas that they may have.

It's graft but it's more rewarding than sitting in a meeting playing bullshit bingo.

hmmmmmmmmmm

Where abouts in the world are you? Remind me of someone I know :D

My wifes a maths teacher 11- 18 year olds :D

I'm in the land of sun and fun (Blackpool).
Condolences to your wife! I always enjoyed the teaching side but there's to much bullsh1t involved and the hours stupid when you take into account planning and marking.
I do some stupid hours now, but it doesn't feel as bad when it's self inflicted!

I can relate to the idiots running the company and being treated like I'm still at school drives me nuts.
Iv been working it out and I can afford to train by working certain shifts which will give me time off.I have no doubt its going to be hard work but I'm looking forward to trying something different. Even if it fails il be able to do my own plastering and just carry on doing what I do.
I have a few friends that are plasterers and they all give me sh*t when I told them haha but they said they would give me a hand so maybe I could help them out and learn bit. Just out of interest are the 6/8 week nvq/city & guild courses any good ?

Trust me mate you are!!!!

I mean this in the nicest possible way....

If your not thick as f**k then plastering is not for you @Pagey nailed it plastering chooses you...

I along with every other plasterer do it because we are thick and cannot do a thing else worthwhile....

You've clearly got brains...so work with your brain and not your body or at least a bit of both like a sparky or plumber...

Your 42 how long do you really think Your going to be able to plaster for? I'm same age and if I can still plaster at 50 nd be competitive I will be gobsmacked!

Trust me mate it really ain't all that unless your at the top of the contracts pecking order with the big boys which with all respect your never going to have the timescale and contacts and trade knowhow to get there starting this late!!!