another gloomy post - is everyone a plasterer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol...

well done chris w, i think freerider just went in guns blazing... thing is freerider im not saying if you cant work out multi finish your a s**t spread, if you
read between the lines is the bigger picture im talking about. By the way as chris W expertly pointed out it is quite common sense to work out materials,

multi finish 9m2 a bag at two coats... from that any area can be worked out
bonding 2.75m2 a bag at 11mm thickness
etc etc

Free rider u comment on me just coming out of college and a know it all, im not a know it all. im not calling my self a plasterer, more of an apprentice plasterer, but the above calculations i assumed everyone knew but obviously not, ive done jobs based on the above calculations and it worked out perfectly to
the last trowel full. So please read carefully next time, i think you freerider are the know it all, and dont take that the wrong way freerider im not trying to be rude!!

sparks

Yeah ignore me dude I did only read half your post before replying! just had one of those days!

Your deffo going the right way about things! it was only the sort of comments im fed up of reading people moaning about people "not being spreads" just because they see them drive down the road in a brand new sign written van, like loads of people queuing up for multi where you work.. im sure one or two of them are actually spreads or atleast have some idea of the trade! not everyone is what people judge them to be!

Chris - thats exactly it, if needed I would work out materials with the above style calculations, but generally doing domestic work its not hard to guage a whole house worth of materials by guess work through experience and what you get out of a set.. thats all I was stating, NOT for a block of 60 flats, that isnt something I think I would ever price up being a one man band! (would love to though, keep me busy for ******* years)

it does happen though mate, you can still find yourself pricing up a 1,2 or 3 house newbuild plot off drawings at distance... even 1 up...
or you'll work for builders with 20 odd plasterers on the books and get lobbed the metreage to figure out just to help the gaffer out...
99 times out of a hundred though, I just do what you do, walk into a room, go '1,2,3,4 plus an extra' times that by a fiver, add a tub of pva and 4 beads or so, add 150 quid and price it on the spot...
why bother messing around going 'ill have a price to you by the end of the week' when you know there'll be another bloke along in half an hour thats gonna do exactly the same thing... confidence goes a long way with the public...

maybe thats the wrong way to do it?
maybe I'd be better off turning up in a shirt and tie carrying a f'ckin briefcase full of bogroll making a big play out of f'ck all... :RpS_biggrin:

tell you what though....
blokes with a briefcase full of bogroll and a gobfull of chat always seem to make more money than I do.. :RpS_scared:

I must admit I do go away an type them up an estimate, but I email it to them within 48hours, even on small jobs I cant stand being put on the spot, esspecially when they are looking at you the whole time with this weird awqward silence thing going on lol

You are right with the confidence thing, something I have been really having to work on, hard to win jobs over when you price against these cockey builders/salesman all the time and it dont help when your my age and look a lot younger than ya are!

I always pretend to "phone the office to see if we get you a discount" when I price up :RpS_lol:

Yeah ignore me dude I did only read half your post before replying! just had one of those days!

Your deffo going the right way about things! it was only the sort of comments im fed up of reading people moaning about people "not being spreads" just because they see them drive down the road in a brand new sign written van, like loads of people queuing up for multi where you work.. im sure one or two of them are actually spreads or atleast have some idea of the trade! not everyone is what people judge them to be!

Chris - thats exactly it, if needed I would work out materials with the above style calculations, but generally doing domestic work its not hard to guage a whole house worth of materials by guess work through experience and what you get out of a set.. thats all I was stating, NOT for a block of 60 flats, that isnt something I think I would ever price up being a one man band! (would love to though, keep me busy for ******* years)

good man freerider!!

So have I read this right, you're Irish living in England moaning about foreigners taking the work? ******* rich or what:RpS_confused:

So have I read this right, you're Irish living in England moaning about foreigners taking the work? ******* rich or what:RpS_confused:

If your not winding me up.... which i know you are as your 45 years old... The irish and english have a long history and repuatation of working
together from day one?

..but again if you read my post properly, you will see i said "it was disapointing to see that not one of the customers was english"

specsavers mate

Dont think so mate ime half Irish so i can say what i like but i remember the Lump when Paddy werent paying any tax and the 715 ticket was brought in to combat it which F*****d it up for every one, then Paddy soon found a loophole in that and then in th 80s Paddy earnt fortunes then F****d of back to Ireland when the recession came and paid nothing dont tell me any different cos i was there.

Dont think so mate ime half Irish so i can say what i like but i remember the Lump when Paddy werent paying any tax and the 715 ticket was brought in to combat it which F*****d it up for every one, then Paddy soon found a loophole in that and then in th 80s Paddy earnt fortunes then F****d of back to Ireland when the recession came and paid nothing dont tell me any different cos i was there.

half irish, your a plastic then, can you chill out a bit lucuis, you sound like your a bit twisted and the world owes you something... relax mate

ok you were there in the 80's good for you, im 31 so i wasnt but i know a few who has...
Not getting political or anything, but take a look at your own history... ?

You were moaning about foreigners a twist of words wont change that. Your statement "English and Irish have a long history and reputation of working together" is built on what basis, your the one who should get your history right the luimp was in the late 60s earlier 70s and because of this the 715 was brought in and many people were forced into self employment losing all their benefits trust me there was a lot of discord between English and Irish on sites in London at these times made worse by the IRA campaign.I have no problem with foreigners coming here to work if there work to be had, many of us on here have worked abroad,but abide by the rules and respect the country your in unfortunately a lot of people find this hard to do.As for your comment about me being a plastic Paddy which is completely irelevant to this thread ime not going to comment on.

well i like my trade... made a very good living for the past 35 years at it... i have never ever really been skint... but i know that every year i will have at least 2-3 months off... thats just the way it is... if i needed work i would look further a field, which i have done in the past

you dont really get much further than barbados render...
where you goin this year? the moon?:RpS_blink:

i'v just cleaned back of my van out and realised you dont really need much to be a plasterer (so to say).

i'v got straight edge's, levels, spot board, endless hand tools, endless brushes, floor scrapers, loadsa buckets, hop-ups, crates ect i even have a backup mixer in the shape of an evolution 100 i carry just in case the megamixer goes.

i even have a hilti thats been out of its box 3 times maybe in nearly a year.

the point is, you dont need all this stuff to be a plasterer. all you need is

*a cheap mixer £50 off ebay they go for now maybe less

*trowel, hawk, gauger, buckets, brushes and a hop up.

*a vehicle

the above items along with a slight knowledge of how to skim a small wall and a bit of cheap talk can get you alot back for your outlay.

i'v just cleaned back of my van out and realised you dont really need much to be a plasterer (so to say).

i'v got straight edge's, levels, spot board, endless hand tools, endless brushes, floor scrapers, loadsa buckets, hop-ups, crates ect i even have a backup mixer in the shape of an evolution 100 i carry just in case the megamixer goes.

i even have a hilti thats been out of its box 3 times maybe in nearly a year.

the point is, you dont need all this stuff to be a plasterer. all you need is

*a cheap mixer £50 off ebay they go for now maybe less

*trowel, hawk, gauger, buckets, brushes and a hop up.

*a vehicle

the above items along with a slight knowledge of how to skim a small wall and a bit of cheap talk can get you alot back for your outlay.

Off the top of my head I would add a scraper and a cordless drill to that list. Im sure there is plenty of other stuff that is essential

why is a cordless drill essential? most cowboys work i'v seen is nailed up.

i do 95% site work and like i'v said i dont even use my hilti gun. i could go with out it and still earn.

scraper, debatable - no good on carpets but essential on site. a cowbay on site would just use his trowel though

A lot of lads have come into the game some from site work others just trying to turn a coin . For sure it will be a hard year you just have to get your slice of the cake before some other fooker get's it it' always been this way in plastering or in business come to think it.

Here is something .My mate going to do a car boot at the same time he going to have a display of His plastering business selling himself business cards leafletts etc good luck to him for trying

Yep also spending less is a great way to get through bad times... I have a mate who has no work yet blows £3k at christmas on presents for his kids which he sticks on credit... dick!

Why cant people live within their means?

The definition of wealth is how long you can live without working...

Another gem I was told, in the good times save for when the bad times come!

Your wealth is your family and friends. Money is just bits of paper, sometimes you'll have more sometimes less.

The problem is business expences, I'm paying almost £400 a month for the privilege of being a plasterer irrespective of how many jobs I get, this is why it's so hard during lean times

The problem is business expences, I'm paying almost £400 a month for the privilege of being a plasterer irrespective of how many jobs I get, this is why it's so hard during lean times

We all have overheads mate ,some spreads more than others,try to reduce these!!!

Shop around for van and liability insurance.
Check with ur accountant ur claiming back everything ur entitled to EVERYTHING .
Reduce ur adversing?
Cut down on ur spending and try to reduce wastage of everything from bags of finnish plaster board to fuel.
Dont hire labour unless its really necassasry
Price right

Dont work harder work smarter

Hello Mate
Do monitor my expences, dont include matts as this is passed straight onto customer, do my own accounts so dont waste money on an accountant for what is a simple account (sole trader) and work on my own. My expences are as follows: Fuel (biggest outlay) £150-180 / van insurance £42 / NI contributions £10 / Advertising £46 / Liability Insurance £16 / business account £18 (i know you dont need one but as I do my own accounts I do) Van running costs excluding fuel £38 (thats MOT/Service/Tax and this does not include any additional problems i.e. MOT failures etc) business phone £35 all that is £350-382 depending on how much fuel I use, also not included is tool up keep / work clothes / stationary /.

You were moaning about foreigners a twist of words wont change that. Your statement "English and Irish have a long history and reputation of working together" is built on what basis, your the one who should get your history right the luimp was in the late 60s earlier 70s and because of this the 715 was brought in and many people were forced into self employment losing all their benefits trust me there was a lot of discord between English and Irish on sites in London at these times made worse by the IRA campaign.I have no problem with foreigners coming here to work if there work to be had, many of us on here have worked abroad,but abide by the rules and respect the country your in unfortunately a lot of people find this hard to do.As for your comment about me being a plastic Paddy which is completely irelevant to this thread ime not going to comment on.

lol

that was a very weird reply, im not commenting further, but as you dont know me... i very much respect this country and have always
payed tax since being here about eight years..

Hope you have a better day tomorrow mate !!

The comment about not respecting the country you work in was not directed at you personaly "a lot of people" it was a generalisation on what has historicly happened. End of.

this reminds me of a documentary I saw on youtube - it's been removed now cos of copyright. It was called the forgotten Irish. It followed people who came over in the 40's and 50s. Then it shows how they live now, mostly in poverty over here - hence the title, The Forgotten Irish

if its any concelation 400 quid is nothing to find.
im more than that a week to just stand still thats before any wages are paid out,my fuel alone last year was pushing 8 grand.i know its all relative but i still have to find the work aswell.
just a small note, swap to santander business banking its free,i swaped last year after getting mugged off by a well known high street bank and it aint much hastlle.
an accountant might seem a high expenditure, but they can save you more than your outlay times over, even as a one man band.

The comment about not respecting the country you work in was not directed at you personaly "a lot of people" it was a generalisation on what has historicly happened. End of.

right your getting boring now lucius, shut up now
hope next year will be better for you

Hello Mate
Do monitor my expences, dont include matts as this is passed straight onto customer, do my own accounts so dont waste money on an accountant for what is a simple account (sole trader) and work on my own. My expences are as follows: Fuel (biggest outlay) £150-180 / van insurance £42 / NI contributions £10 / Advertising £46 / Liability Insurance £16 / business account £18 (i know you dont need one but as I do my own accounts I do) Van running costs excluding fuel £38 (thats MOT/Service/Tax and this does not include any additional problems i.e. MOT failures etc) business phone £35 all that is £350-382 depending on how much fuel I use, also not included is tool up keep / work clothes / stationary /.

Ur biggest outlay is fuel,same as every body else @128 for diesel its one of the most expensive costs we have
.But you wouldnt be spending that on fuel if ur were not driving around back and forth to work.
What u spending on advertising is a pitance.Try spending more on advertising this will hopefully lead to more work etc etc.
Work will not find you ...you will have to find the work
.No offense but you would not be winghing about £400 a month overheads if you were earning that every other day or so which is what you should be doing.
You have got to get more work or give the game up!!!

Tell you what,every trade and career you can thimk of is flooded with people,think the answer is to get as qualified as you can to outgun some of the chancers,soon you will need minimum nvq2 just to get on site and i think joe public may demand to see some sort of qualification in the future.....just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.