Another Artex question - sorry!

Members online

No members online now.

jonesp1

Hi guys,

New to the forum so hello everyone.

Have patched some of my ceiling as had put my foot through it a year or so ago.

Have brought the level up with some easifill and sanded.

I am practicing this pattern but am struggling to reproduce it, any tips?

Been trying a sponge in a bag with some easifill. Do I need to try artex?

Thanks

IMG_20200513_175226.jpg

IMG_20200513_175231.jpg

Hi guys,

New to the forum so hello everyone.

Have patched some of my ceiling as had put my foot through it a year or so ago.

Have brought the level up with some easifill and sanded.

I am practicing this pattern but am struggling to reproduce it, any tips?

Been trying a sponge in a bag with some easifill. Do I need to try artex?

Thanks

View attachment 49105
View attachment 49106

artex have some vids somewhere online that show you how to create various textures. Hate the stuff though and as malc says, you won’t hide it.

You need to scrape back the artex nibs around the edge about two inches, apply some more filler to the area in The middle and leave this slightly proud. When dry sand it down so you no longer have a ridge. Apply artex sealer to it and where you knocked nibs off and let that dry for 2 hours.Mix artex or filler to a very wet consistency, wrap a plastic bag tightly around a large sponge and dip into the wet mix, dab onto ceiling randomly to match stipple effect. Easy.

Stipple is hardest pattern to patch. That's a over thinned mix so no spikes. Use damp sponge around edge. Try out on bit of board first and when you get right mix go for it. Id use easyfill to pattern but that's just me. Always found it better for patching. More body and faster setting vs artex

you are never going hide that ridge . employ a plasterer a get the ceiling skimmed.

Thanks. I forgot to add to my post about this option.

Will likely go for this when it's safe to get someone in but if I get a good repair it will save me spending out.

Out of interest. How messy is it to get a ceiling skimmed?

I've painted the walls ‍♂️

Stipple is hardest pattern to patch. That's a over thinned mix so no spikes. Use damp sponge around edge. Try out on bit of board first and when you get right mix go for it. Id use easyfill to pattern but that's just me. Always found it better for patching. More body and faster setting vs artex

Agree. I tried with a sponge and bag but maybe my mix was too thick as I was getting spikes.

Will try again

You need to scrape back the artex nibs around the edge about two inches, apply some more filler to the area in The middle and leave this slightly proud. When dry sand it down so you no longer have a ridge. Apply artex sealer to it and where you knocked nibs off and let that dry for 2 hours.Mix artex or filler to a very wet consistency, wrap a plastic bag tightly around a large sponge and dip into the wet mix, dab onto ceiling randomly to match stipple effect. Easy.
Thanks for your help.

You make it sound easy haha

I'll give all that a go.

“Have brought the level up with some easifill and sanded“

Wait, you sanded a textured ceiling? Hope you had an asbestos test on it..

“Have brought the level up with some easifill and sanded“

Wait, you sanded a textured ceiling? Hope you had an asbestos test on it..

No didn't sand the ceiling. I had originally just painted over the crack with paint quite thickly.

Realising this was wrong I peeled the paint off and with it came the artex. So I filled the void and sanded that.

The artex peeling off probably isn't great but better than sanding.

Yes that will do, as said by someone else try on a bit of plasterboard or painted ply to get a feel for the texture you need.

I can patch any artex work seamlessly. Although i preferred to re do the entire panel. I could patch stipple and comb patterns alike. The blue stipple brush was for the DIY market. The proper stipple pad made by artex is way superior. I’ve still got 2. They are 30 years old now but still usable.
I’d happily still be artexing if it was still in demand. Great money for a fraction of the effort involved in plastering. A sample of my recent work (6 years ago lol)
C983AF6E-D01E-47BB-845E-753DBA2CB1FD.jpeg

I can patch any artex work seamlessly. Although i preferred to re do the entire panel. I could patch stipple and comb patterns alike. The blue stipple brush was for the DIY market. The proper stipple pad made by artex is way superior. I’ve still got 2. They are 30 years old now but still usable.
I’d happily still be artexing if it was still in demand. Great money for a fraction of the effort involved in plastering. A sample of my recent work (6 years ago lol) View attachment 49163

If you could just pop down to Kent in the South East that would be great. Ta!

Do those stipple pads just make spiky stipples or is it the consistency of the artex that determines that?

Whenever I Artex, I gloss paint the background then you can go on it pretty much right away. Get a proper bag of Artex - if you fukc up the pattern just scrape it back off and start again :)

Right. Have got rid of any ridge and feels as flat as I am going to get it.

Quick question. Do you spread the artex on and then use the artex pad or just dip it and then apply it?

I am concerned that when I apply it then it will end up proud of the rest of the ceiling. I suppose if it's thin enough it won't.

I was going to take back the artex by 2 inches like suggested but put off by asbestos concerns.

IMG_20200516_162049.jpg

Right. Have got rid of any ridge and feels as flat as I am going to get it.

Quick question. Do you spread the artex on and then use the artex pad or just dip it and then apply it?

I am concerned that when I apply it then it will end up proud of the rest of the ceiling. I suppose if it's thin enough it won't.

I was going to take back the artex by 2 inches like suggested but put off by asbestos concerns.

View attachment 49251
you're over-thinking this way to much......you could probably get close to that pattern just by slapping paint on with flat side of brush

The current Artex stipple is all over the place so patching It in will be quite easy, make sure the suction is killed
2A284AC4-521A-4366-9690-A0DD3DD18DBA.jpeg
. I’m pished, it’s Saturday night and I’m cooking a barbie, cheers :)