Amount of plasterers

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Do you think that there are less plasterers about now than say 5yrs ago? personally I do though I do think that a lot of people have gone on courses etc if been made redundant from other jobs etc but I think they just fade away due to being unable to get enough work etc.

I definitely don't think I see as many vans knocking about as I used to.

What you recon????

Zombie

when times get hard its harder for the rough ***** to keep getting work, these are probably the ones that have left the trade over the last few years still to many spreads around though , if you count the skimmers as spreads

Recession sorts the wheat from the chaff....

Recessions are not really a bad thing in my eyes... if you prepare for them in the boom when they do come its a lot easier....

I think when I was learning I was told that but my skint boss....lol

I live by the coast , we have approx 60 plasterers within a 5 mile half radius , at a guess 50% of that amount are just skimmers that have started within the last 5 years , so i would say in my area there are more than there use to be .

We always see vans from Coventry in our posh area. :RpS_sneaky:

When theres an abundance of £60 a day plasterers in cov we have to come over to stratford to keep busy. On the plus side we can earn £85 a day as youre rich bastards

I think there is more lads who turn there hand to a bit if re skimming as and when work crops up and these are the 60 a day merchants , in saying that a lot of people want plastering doing for feck all just for the fact they do not value our trade, we done it to ourselves like a dog going back to it's own vomit and eating it. Maybe it is a easy trade to learn the basics re skimming I mean.

"We done it to ourselves like a dog going back to it's own vomit and eating it."

fukin hell henry, you know how to put a spin on words

It's ok saying it shifts the Crap out during a recession and yeah I agree to some extent but the firm I worked for had a few good plasterers working there.
When it went under there were around 45 blokes out of work.
We had ask been cards in till then and write a few of us didn't fancy the self employed option. I know at least 6 if the blokes who I would happily pass work onto, at the risk of my own reputation. Of the 6 only 1 set up on his own, the rest, like myself ended up having to find other work because the s.e. route, in my case, was a bit too scary. I'm simply want brave enough to risk it.

It's ok saying it shifts the Crap out during a recession and yeah I agree to some extent but the firm I worked for had a few good plasterers working there.
When it went under there were around 45 blokes out of work.
We had ask been cards in till then and write a few of us didn't fancy the self employed option. I know at least 6 if the blokes who I would happily pass work onto, at the risk of my own reputation. Of the 6 only 1 set up on his own, the rest, like myself ended up having to find other work because the s.e. route, in my case, was a bit too scary. I'm simply want brave enough to risk it.
what put you off going self employed mate,,,,, the tax situation ,, finding work,,,??????????????/

what put you off going self employed mate,,,,, the tax situation ,, finding work,,,??????????????/

The wife had just been made redundant as well and with all the other spreads looking for work I was scared to risk it in case I couldn't get the money in quick enough. Seemed easier to let someone else worry about paying me.
I've never been self employed and the whole process seemed too daunting.

Defiantly a lot around, turned upto a quote on Friday to look at a old Victorian house with damp external walls, I gave him a few options and he said "that's interesting as the other 3 that have been round all said to dot & dab it" I explained why this wouldn't be my first choice of solutions and he asked my when I could start, I got the job.
No doubt the 3 before me were skinmers.

The wife had just been made redundant as well and with all the other spreads looking for work I was scared to risk it in case I couldn't get the money in quick enough. Seemed easier to let someone else worry about paying me.
I've never been self employed and the whole process seemed too daunting.
it can be quite a worry,, if you working now for someone else best to keep doing that for now and wait and see what happens in the future, hope all turns out well for you both

Loads round here lol.
one lad near me didn't last 12 months after his course down near landan :rolleyes)
he bought a van sign written, website, all the tools, think he had a handful of jobs off family & friends then couldn't get the work & jacked it in no doubt this happens a lot that's why we keep seeing loads of new plastering tools on eBay :RpS_thumbsup:

Loads round my way as well, new vans all over the place and when i say new i mean brand spanking new 13 plate vans all sign written. Wonder where they get the cash from...

Where I am in Essex, I'm getting calls daily and when I call looking for labour all are busy!

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.