Am I using my refina plazzi right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Bought a 14 plazzi ( sponge back one) and managed to get it out the van today. Not impressed, but wondering if I'm using it proper?

I laid on using my mt, then used it on first trowel. Now, it was a biggish ceiling but the gear was ok, but the plazzi just wouldn't flatten off the firmer bits of the gear. I got my mt out and finished the job, no problems.

The trowel seems far too flexible, should I be using it this way? I tried to put it to use on the second trowel, but it left a very rough finish. I did give it a rub up with some fine wet n dry before to remove the burrs etc.

also, when I was trying to get into the corner of ceiling, cos this sponge is soooo thick, I couldn't see the corner!

Am am I using it right?

As jesssop said final trowel I usually trowel twice with steel trowel then 3rd trowel with plastic using hardly any water if any I wouldn't be without mine now

Bought a 14 plazzi ( sponge back one) and managed to get it out the van today. Not impressed, but wondering if I'm using it proper?

I laid on using my mt, then used it on first trowel. Now, it was a biggish ceiling but the gear was ok, but the plazzi just wouldn't flatten off the firmer bits of the gear. I got my mt out and finished the job, no problems.

The trowel seems far too flexible, should I be using it this way? I tried to put it to use on the second trowel, but it left a very rough finish. I did give it a rub up with some fine wet n dry before to remove the burrs etc.

also, when I was trying to get into the corner of ceiling, cos this sponge is soooo thick, I couldn't see the corner!

Am am I using it right?
Its only for your last trowel buddy, think I remember recommending a stainless s*p*r*lex to you in another thread? Don't get me wrong using a plazzi on the last trowel hardly any pressure!! Its the nuts but stainless s*p*r*lex kicks ass all the way!! :RpS_thumbup:

My first trowel is over soft gear....I try not to use any water. Second trowel, gear has firmed up, I use a bit of water to lube the surface and spread the fat. Final trowel, no water, dry, sharp trowel at an angle. The way I was taught......

How will this soft as **** trowel work on a last trowel.....?

Im im gonna try it tomorrow.

Same with s*p*r*lex. My mate tried it on second coat but it did like you said. Wouldn't flatten down the firmer gear going off. I only use it after second coat to give it a nice easy rub up

Stainless s*p*r*lex works best applying second coat then ( on plasterboard) 10 mins max wet the blade and glide over and then again after 10 mind or so (I have a brew in between so circa 10 min etc ) @scottie5 is a better person to ask as he helped me :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
It does all what a steel trowel does on the final trowel without all that pressure just easier on the muscles lol

At the end of the day we all do our methods slightly differently but the main thing is the job is done correctly and that should be that??

A while back we had a thread on here about worn in trowels and one of the veterans of the trade said they could finish a wall to a high standard with any trowel straight out of the box (might of been gibbo, I'm not sure) anyhow, it reminds me of a pool player I used to know. He was Shiite hot,he used to say I could beat any man with any cue even a stick. And he did. I've worked with some awesome spreads and they can finish to a high standard with the cheeks of their arse if they had to. My point is , if your skilled enough you can finish a set with steel, carbon, plastic, flex or any other kind of trowel.

.........tipsy :RpS_unsure:

I know 2 lads who put on with mt ..75m sets 3 times a day.
Only time mt is used is to 1 coat and fill and defects...In between plastic all through set. Hits done in 2.5 hours. The fuuuckers make it look easy !!! The work is spot on.

Only time mt is used is to 1 coat and fill and defects...In between plastic all through set. Hits done in 2.5 hours. The fuuuckers make it look easy !!! The work is spot on.

Thats how it's done

So, 225m a day? That's impressive.

Tried the plazzi again today. On second set, I put the second coat on real tight....and I mean tight.. First trowel with my Mt, hardly needed it but done all the same. Used the plazzi with a little water on second trowel......still struggled with it.....there were one or two high spots it just couldn't flatten......got the mt back out.....!

Those of you who are using these refina plazzis, are you using the sponge backed blade? I notice the one a pal had was a lot firmer, thicker blade........., had no sponge..

dont use these, but surely the " hard bits " shouldnt be there by the stage you use the plazzi..

if you're getting hard bits that wont trowel out, you're getting on it too late

i didn't say hard bits, I said high spots and I mean relatively soft high spots..

I agree in an ideal world all high spots have been troweled in, on first trowel. Maybe I need to spend a bit more time on first trowel and stop being a rough ass!

as i said, you're getting on it too late, try troweling sooner, I cant see why else you would be having problems with "high" spots, I use my plazzi 1st, 2nd & 3rd trowel with no problems

I lay on rough as shite but flatten off with mt. always finish with the plazzy.. no problems with the finish

as i said, you're getting on it too late, try troweling sooner, I cant see why else you would be having problems with "high" spots, I use my plazzi 1st, 2nd & 3rd trowel with no problems

Fair point.

Would you say you need to get on it earlier with plazzis then, in general? Cus I just did a Small, 2 bag set and had to wait for it to pick up.....maybe I should have troweled earlier than I would normally with my mt????

I jumped on the plazzy way too early wen i forst got it. Looked ok till it dried out then it looked like the sand wen the sea has gone out.. since then only to trowel up

So, if your using your plazzi to trowel up, do you still do a dry trowel at the end? Presuming you do a dry trowel that is......I do, some don't.....do wonder why I bother sometimes tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.