Am I taking the piss ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan198Zero

Hi everyone just joined and was after some sound advice.
I started as a laborer and worked my way up for around 6 years then after a bad time and my old boss making out I was'nt worth any more then £60 a day I joined the Army. 7 years later I'm back fitter, stronger and better. Been working now nearly 2 years for the same bloke who gets me all my work being self-employed of course. Now I'm happy earning what I get paid and have only once got complaints about my work. Most my work is re-furb and its going over some of the worse stuff you could imagine. I have come to expect this from the main building company and just get on with it. But today there was a big argument about why I go home at 3pm. I spread around 5-6 bags a day while trying to teach a apprentice my boss has dumped on me. I get day rate becoz working on a price for these cowboys would be pointless, The other week I had to block up all the tops of walls and finish screwing the ceilings. Anyway am I being a nob or are the people I work for being nobs? I get £120 day rate for spreading 5-6 bags and Im home before 4pm everyday. Also got told I would be on price soon but getting £3 a metre while I know he charges £5. Long story a little confusing but after a pump day and a few beers I'm not in the best of moods.

if u can spread 5-6 bags a day on cowboy workmanship, what your asking for is reasonable

My day rate £****.** and I work from 8-4 some days longer but I try to balance it out. end of the day your self employed so you set your hours

You sound like an old woman to me to be honest.if you're on day work you should have a start time and a finish time agreed

This is why I rarely do day-work, it's like being grounded as a kid.
Even if you do think you're giving them value for money, the client will always (quite rightly) expect a full day, so you'd need to spin it out a bit :RpS_thumbup:

Hi everyone just joined and was after some sound advice.
I started as a laborer and worked my way up for around 6 years then after a bad time and my old boss making out I was'nt worth any more then £60 a day I joined the Army. 7 years later I'm back fitter, stronger and better. Been working now nearly 2 years for the same bloke who gets me all my work being self-employed of course. Now I'm happy earning what I get paid and have only once got complaints about my work. Most my work is re-furb and its going over some of the worse stuff you could imagine. I have come to expect this from the main building company and just get on with it. But today there was a big argument about why I go home at 3pm. I spread around 5-6 bags a day while trying to teach a apprentice my boss has dumped on me. I get day rate becoz working on a price for these cowboys would be pointless, The other week I had to block up all the tops of walls and finish screwing the ceilings. Anyway am I being a nob or are the people I work for being nobs? I get £120 day rate for spreading 5-6 bags and Im home before 4pm everyday. Also got told I would be on price soon but getting £3 a metre while I know he charges £5. Long story a little confusing but after a pump day and a few beers I'm not in the best of moods.
are you anywhere near lowestoft?

Say to him thats your normal working hours and ask him why he did not ask you what he was gettin for a 'days' work , times etc . Have u completed the job and brought up at the end or have you just started ?

Ive been subbing off him for nearly 2 years now and he knows I finish around 3pm. Told him I do enough work to cover my money and earn him some. But as always that's not enough. Think I'm going to have a look else where and find my own work. Tired of day work and getting nowhere. Cheers for the advice

there is a medium size building firm, locally, that employes subbies and direct workforce on daywork.the most important thing is that you are on the site 7 30 am till 5 pm it does not matter if you have not produced much. they charge the clients top dollar, their sales talk is "our workforce work a 9 hour day thats why we charge extra" sometimes they have a sub contractor who tells them i go home at 3 pm on price work so i go home at 3 pm on daywork, they may last a few weeks but they try to get rid of them at the first opportunity.

My old man's on about retiring at the end of the year, so I will be looking for someone toward the end of autumn.

I shall ask again end of the year Scottie if you've found anyone. If you need any help the odd day before then, would be nice to get about and work for someone different message me here if you want my number cheers.

there is a medium size building firm, locally, that employes subbies and direct workforce on daywork.the most important thing is that you are on the site 7 30 am till 5 pm it does not matter if you have not produced much. they charge the clients top dollar, their sales talk is "our workforce work a 9 hour day thats why we charge extra" sometimes they have a sub contractor who tells them i go home at 3 pm on price work so i go home at 3 pm on daywork, they may last a few weeks but they try to get rid of them at the first opportunity.

A company I worked for used to do loads of pub refurbs for the local brewery and that was all day-work. I fkin hated it cos if there was nowt to do the gaffer would still have you there and just have you sweeping up all day or some other sh1t like that :RpS_thumbdn:

Mind you -some of the more lazy b4stards on the crew loved it :RpS_laugh:

Well thanks for support/banter/piss taking. I very rarely drink and after 4 stellas last night I was being a bitch. Found my nuts dansoutcoast thanks. Enjoy your bank holiday lads.

Why do most bitches called Dan ??? :RpS_laugh: Not a dig at you @Dan198Zero my lad/bitch called Dan too and gets awful stick off the lads on here lol:RpS_laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do most bitches called Dan ??? :RpS_laugh: Not a dig at you @Dan198Zero my lad/bitch called Dan too and gets awful stick off the lads on here lol:RpS_laugh:

My old apprentice/minion who actually believed that bin men only worked one day a week, was called da da da da da daaa Daniel. Spooky but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.