am i rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

Just done a fairly heavy artex ceiling today. Prob about 5 x 4 m.
price 120 inc materials. Started at 10 and finished at 3.

I like to think I have fairly high standards and i do beat myself up a lot.
And would say I am paranoid at times and overthink my work.

I work with a general builder who always says I give myself a hard time and
That my work is good.

So I am using today as an example of everyday life atm.

1. Scraped back high points of artex
2. Pva'd
3 when tacky I knocked up a mf and bonding mix to level out artex
4. Left an hour then 2 coat skimmed and 3 rubs
5. Tidied everything clean and packed up.

Now ceiling was looking good other than maybe 5 small bits over the ceiling where you could just see the
artex faintly showing through.

Now the guy is fussy I have worked for him before and I assuered him that the paint would cover that

Anyway he paid and a fiver tip. And I cant help feeling bad.

What would others of done ? Mixed up another batch and spent another 2 and a half hours there.

I know the ceiling will look great when painted. Sorry for essay

sounds ok.... maybe try scrapping the artex right down more , if its showing through.. you got a tip, so thats good... he must have been happy...

Chill out bud it will be ok, is 1988 your year of birth? 26. You'll have plenty more artex ceilings to skim, be a bit more aggressive with your scrape, I've got a floor scraper and the blade is very sharp, gets these ceilings right back. Nowt wrong with being a exact with your wok

Cheers guys . Think my confidence is a bit low atm. Yes I am 26 btw.

What price would you say for that? I know I did underprice a bit (long story)!!. I would usually prob charge 150

£120 for a 20m2 artex ceiling???
No wonder he give you a tip!!

anyway like the boys said don't be shy when scrapping back

Scraping back is frowned upon firstly, did you get an asbestos test done,? At the very least damp down before scraping back, I would coat it with half and half bonding finish then lay over with finish ,job done, stop discussing rates also.

Cheers guys . Think my confidence is a bit low atm. Yes I am 26 btw.

What price would you say for that? I know I did underprice a bit (long story)!!. I would usually prob charge 150
Like John said, we don't like discussing rates openly here. Get another 970 posts clocked up and you can enter the private area :RpS_thumbsup: you'll also get Beddys ball bag wiped across your face.......:RpS_unsure:

Firstly I'd say way too cheap on price for whatever reason..

Sounds like u done method ok but prob needed more scraping off..

Did u get a test on artex..??

Sorry didn't realise about the rates topic. The artex was only 5 years old so I assumed it was ok. Am I right in thinking that?

Sorry didn't realise about the rates topic. The artex was only 5 years old so I assumed it was ok. Am I right in thinking that?
It's probably safe but there's no certainty,problem arises when home owner starts to worry starts to feel sick and says the plasterers disturbed artex ,

I can be abit hard in myself too but I think it is good sometimes improves your standard if you will. All my customers are really happy (well I hope so) with my work and that's what matters at end of the day. Don't make a hard job harder by beating yourself up

Like John said, we don't like discussing rates openly here. Get another 970 posts clocked up and you can enter the private area :RpS_thumbsup: you'll also get Beddys ball bag wiped across your face.......:RpS_unsure:
Well that should make him post like mad:RpS_unsure:

That my work is good.

2. Pva'd

Now ceiling was looking good other than maybe 5 small bits over the ceiling where you could just see the

Now the guy is fussy I have worked for him before and I assuered him that the paint would cover that

What would others of done ? Mixed up another batch and spent another 2 and a half hours there.

Your alright mate I reckon ,especially for the doe you charged him. Some ceilings are all over the place so unless you treat it to a straight edge with your bonding very low points stay low if you know what I mean.

It's probably safe but there's no certainty,problem arises when home owner starts to worry starts to feel sick and says the plasterers disturbed artex ,
Or die John , but hay ho ,all in a days work , always feel a bit awkward at the funeral talking payment :RpS_wink:

Or die John , but hay ho ,all in a days work , always feel a bit awkward at the funeral talking payment :RpS_wink:
Ha ha, pin please.. You have to be careful people look for fall guys , ps been offered work whilst at funerals before ..

Scraping back is frowned upon firstly, did you get an asbestos test done,? At the very least damp down before scraping back, I would coat it with half and half bonding finish then lay over with finish ,job done, stop discussing rates also.

Agree with this.

ive been on here for years and have got a lot of advice but feel I have given some also( maybe not all good) but FFS I'll hopefully be retired by the time I get to a thousand, or should I just start talking as much **** as others on here?
What I'm saying is, you could be a great tradesman ( which I think I am) without being big headed.. So only post on things you feel you need to.

Or you could be a complete bellend/cowboy and post a lot of pish for a few weeks and get a1000 posts and weyhey!, Don't make sense to me! Danny, get it sorted!!

ive been on here for years and have got a lot of advice but feel I have given some also( maybe not all good) but FFS I'll hopefully be retired by the time I get to a thousand, or should I just start talking as much **** as others on here?
What I'm saying is, you could be a great tradesman ( which I think I am) without being big headed.. So only post on things you feel you need to.

Or you could be a complete bellend/cowboy and post a lot of pish for a few weeks and get a1000 posts and weyhey!, Don't make sense to me! Danny, get it sorted!!

only 783 posts to go......you could be a private member by 2024......:RpS_thumbsup:

Like John said, we don't like discussing rates openly here. Get another 970 posts clocked up and you can enter the private area :RpS_thumbsup: you'll also get Beddys ball bag wiped across your face.......:RpS_unsure:[UOTE]

just the once - or is that fore play:RpS_lol:

Like John said, we don't like discussing rates openly here. Get another 970 posts clocked up and you can enter the private area :RpS_thumbsup: you'll also get Beddys ball bag wiped across your face.......:RpS_unsure:[UOTE]

just the once - or is that fore play:RpS_lol:

several swipes :RpS_thumbsup: you just have to hope you catch him on bath night :-(

Everything gets turned to smut one way or another. As for people talking shite to bump up their post numbers, it's a forum. If people didn't wind down and talk about crap there wouldn't be anything to read. I'd put something positive and useful about marks opening post but it's been more than covered. Or I could just copy and replicate what everyone else has said and pretend I know what I'm on about

That my work is good.

2. Pva'd

I never scrape the Artex, always a risk of Asbestos in it. It's better to bond anyway. Bond it get it completely flat, then an easy skim.

If the Artex is coming away, cracked through, overboard the ceiling.

Your price is way too cheap, it should be double that plus materials.

Hence why rates sjouldnt be duscussed. We gone from 120 to double plus mats.
Too many variables to fix a price everyone to agree.
Your area.
The state of ceiling and obsticles
Type of customer
The list goes on.

If your happy with what you earn its no one elses business. Dont let others influence hour pricing.

One job you may be the cheapest the next youl be too dear.

Hence why rates sjouldnt be duscussed. We gone from 120 to double plus mats.
Too many variables to fix a price everyone to agree.
Your area.
The state of ceiling and obsticles
Type of customer
The list goes on.

If your happy with what you earn its no one elses business. Dont let others influence hour pricing.

One job you may be the cheapest the next youl be too dear.

Agree to some extent, but there should be a minimum price and go upwards from there, not down.

Thanks for replies. I am certainly in agreement about scraping artex. Too much risk involved. The guy who trained me always did it. But I think I am going to steer clear from now on

Sound like u done everything right to me mate. Nothing wrong with taking extra hour an making sure everything right. More people should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.