Am I Missing Something Here?

Members online

roryston

Ok so I priced a rendering job last year and got it.

Couldn't start it until the windows were fitted and said I will not do it in December, January or February.

Customer contacted me a couple of weeks back asking if its possible for me to get a scratch coat on the gaball end as its been taking the brunt of the bad weather we've had.

No problems I spent half a day loading the job out Thursday by myself, went there Saturday and Sunday with my labouer and layed 2 and a half ton of gear on (stone work needing 2 scratch coats to bring it out to level for top coat)

Before I even started she asked about payment and I explained to her id take it out the original quote so just keep it in the kitty until ive finished.

The windows are not being fitted until end of next month so I will be a while until I complete my work however its not a problem for me. Ive allowed for the materials and my labourers money, I can wait for mine and pay for that until completion.

Had a text this afternoon, please can one of you lads explain to me what the hell she's on about?

I made it crystal clear I don't do day work on big jobs. Nothing gets my goat more than a customer thinking you've done 10 hours one day and 5 the next.

Ask for the half day part, starting at 8am and finishing at 1.30 on a Sunday isn't half a day in my book.

Do you lads think there trying to get me to play her ball and do it on day work in the hope it'll save them money?

wp_ss_20170227_0002.png

I'd just confirm that there is no need to pay anything until the job is completed . Thank you see you next month x

If your quote is down in wrighting as price not day work tell her straight ooossshhhhh.

Sounds like her mates gonna finish it :( now all the prep is done they think there is only a day and a half left and the easy part lol if you have a price in for it there shouldn't be a problem explaining. Someone posted a similar set up the other week didn't find the outcome.

Sounds like her mates gonna finish it :( now all the prep is done they think there is only a day and a half left and the easy part lol if you have a price in for it there shouldn't be a problem explaining. Someone posted a similar set up the other week didn't find the outcome.

Yep! They've got the OP to do the donkey work and getting someone else in to do the easy part.

Op, tell her youll just collect it when the jobs finished. If she mentions she's looking to pay for what you've done, be very suspicious. Have seen it loads of times happen.

I turned up to a job once to fix a stone wall that was hit by a tractor for a friend of a friend during recession. 50mins away. Pulled the mixer out at 9.30 and was finished by 12.45 and the fella tried to hand me a score note lol. Told him to go get another 4 or 5 of them. His reply was, sure ya only worked a few hours. My reply was I don't give 2 fucks, it takes me near an hour here, half hour to get tools ready and a mix on. Few hours work then same amount of time to pack tools away and home and the 120 is cheap because I could easy charge 200-250 for it. Heard few weeks later he was in the pub saying I was a robbing f**k*r lol. Ya just can't please them I tell ya.

What superspread says! She doesn't know your day work rate! Charge whatever you want. Open to further discussions of course.

Yeah I may be thinking to much into it, when someone mentions "what do I owe you for today" usually comes across as how much is it per day for you.

Like I said probably me just over thinking

Be an arse back and ask for the majority
But only do this if you have a feeling like above if you think someone else will be topping your graft.

You've done the hard graft. So someone creaming off the top is a no no in my book and I'd be a prick about it but only like I say if your gut is telling you you won't get to complete.

If she argues tell her what you've done is the majority of the work and the materials cost plus a Sunday.

But put on reply your also happy to wait until completion for full amount.

If you've got a contract and somebody else finishes it bill her for the full amount like the cheeky t**t she'd before doing that.

This is all purely speculative as I don't know your customer and you've dealt with her face to face

That hasn't crossed my mind, If that's the case there welcome to it.

I've got the whole house held to a price not just the gaball, the gaball cant be finished yet either as the front and back of the house needs scratching until I can set the angles up either side. So atm its basically just a scratched gaball with 5x1 timbers set up either side.

Also the customer is good as gold so I'm not slating them just got a little concerned when I was asked to speculate how much I'm owed but they may just be being nice.

They are trying to break down your price into day work and will say at end well you didn't do a full day there

That hasn't crossed my mind, If that's the case there welcome to it.

I've got the whole house held to a price not just the gaball, the gaball cant be finished yet either as the front and back of the house needs scratching until I can set the angles up either side. So atm its basically just a scratched gaball with 5x1 timbers set up either side.
Might be sound and just paying you for your time off the price, tell her you will collect half once it's all scratched on.

It's funny how quick we are to jump to conclusions. It's also not so good asking for opinions sometimes. No one knows what they mean but her so either ask for what you want or take what you mention.
If you don't want to ask directly then over compensate for what was done and you'll find out from the reply.
Sometimes it's better just to ask then speculate as that's how things can go wrong.

If you want to be easy just reply with something like
I'm happy to wait until it's all scratch coated and then can receive half then rest on completion.

This is why it's better to have terms sent with the quotes no matter how there agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saying what I said I done a job once and the bloke insisted on paying daily for some reason

Nothing worse than taking some money off the job and having to go back and feel like your working for free cos you already had the money

She is sound and doesn't want you to wait X amount of time for work that is done that's all.
Why does everyone jump to the worst case scenario?
'They are all out to get me' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People can be very awkward about money - some have to pay right away otherwise it will be spent or wasted on something else. If people start 'asking' me about price/daywork/how much an hour I charge, I always say "if you go out for a meal and it cost £100, whether you sit eating for 10 mins or 3 hours it's still £100", they then usually agree and Bobs your uncle.
My missus likes me to get money as soon as possible - she said to me once "what happens if you have a hideous accident like being decapitated by a bus or falling off a 10 story building and we can't recognize you.....lovely caring soul she is!

People can be very awkward about money - some have to pay right away otherwise it will be spent or wasted on something else. If people start 'asking' me about price/daywork/how much an hour I charge, I always say "if you go out for a meal and it cost £100, whether you sit eating for 10 mins or 3 hours it's still £100", they then usually agree and Bobs your uncle.
My missus likes me to get money as soon as possible - she said to me once "what happens if you have a hideous accident like being decapitated by a bus or falling off a 10 story building and we can't recognize you.....lovely caring soul she is!

Liked