always the way

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix

how often does this happen to you guys:

got a call at work monday asking me to price a job gave them a call back today with final price and they said could i do it next weekend? i said im gonna check the diary and good news im free :RpS_biggrin: then on the way home from work today i got a call from another spread saying he got this job he dont want to do he said its a good touch told me the price and what the job was and i thought fcuk yeah i will have some of that an easy few days for a decent wedge....... so i phone the customer and guess what he wants it doing the same weekend as my job :RpS_cursing: i phoned my client asking if we could move the date and he has the builders booked in to do some remedial work that week so he cant move and the other one is just being a c**t and wont budge as the other spread has put him off for a few weeks now not happy im now gonna try and do a weeks work in 2 houses in just 2 days

It never rains it pours marra. bit ambitious a weeks work in 2 days .just remember no man is an island....:RpS_wink:

i gotta tack 3 bigish ceilings in 1 house dab 6 walls and skim it all back and in the other its basically skim all the ceilings downstairs to cover the artex arghhhhhhhh artex the vile stuff

Last edited:
eh? you trying to say i will sink? no man is an island im confused

I think he means you dont have to do it alone. Whatever happens you are gonna need a fair few cans of monster to get through that lot. 1 week condensed down into 2 days, best of luck you fkin nutter:RpS_thumbsup:

when its my personel reputation no1 is good enough i will have to just s**t the bed and get a few hours kip in the motor zzzz in between both jobs!!
stuff that mate no use killing yasen get some 1 ya know to do 1 of the other jobs ull be tired and rushing round like a bluearse fly and thats when things go wrong id pass 1 of the jobs on to some1 else ya know does a good job etc

thank goodness MY customer phoned today saying his job has been put back a few weeks,which i really dont mind, so it leaves me just the big over skim job and my gosh i went to have a look at it last night luckily enough thats next week as the bloke who priced it up in the first place, well god knows how he was gonna do it its only 12 bags he said yeah right more like 20, and the customer is a haggler had to go in with a revised price and all i can say is damn sales men bastrad hagggleddd me down but its stilll netter than what the other spread was gonna charge him...

whats best for going over shallow artex? wba or a couple coats of pva?

thank goodness MY customer phoned today saying his job has been put back a few weeks,which i really dont mind, so it leaves me just the big over skim job and my gosh i went to have a look at it last night luckily enough thats next week as the bloke who priced it up in the first place, well god knows how he was gonna do it its only 12 bags he said yeah right more like 20, and the customer is a haggler had to go in with a revised price and all i can say is damn sales men bastrad hagggleddd me down but its stilll netter than what the other spread was gonna charge him...

whats best for going over shallow artex? wba or a couple coats of pva?

My preference is: WBA/ or Artex Sealer/ or PVA in that order

One coat of Artex Sealer, drys in a few minutes, then skim as normal. Needs to be dry to touch though.
My local B&Q sell it.
Works well on Silk paint too.

is it expensive? i got 20 bags to skim this weekend its more like 16 but wanted a few extra.... JUST INCASE ..... how many tubs would i need?

Don't waste your money on Artex sealer. The name itself is a little misleading as it wasn't originally made to seal Artex but to seal plasterboard before the application of Artex. That's why it has a pigment in it as a lot of Artex patterns if done correctly cut through to the board, which is why it's white, so that once dry the whole ceiling is white.
For re-skimming IMO you're better of using either PVA or as I prefer WBA/Bluegrit.

Thats right Andy.
I've only ever used it for preparing backgrounds ready for artexing.
It is good stuff & quick drying but never used it for skimming.

Don't waste your money on Artex sealer. The name itself is a little misleading as it wasn't originally made to seal Artex but to seal plasterboard before the application of Artex. That's why it has a pigment in it as a lot of Artex patterns if done correctly cut through to the board, which is why it's white, so that once dry the whole ceiling is white.
For re-skimming IMO you're better of using either PVA or as I prefer WBA/Bluegrit.

I think you'll find I did say I prefer WBA.

Thats right Andy.
I've only ever used it for preparing backgrounds ready for artexing.
It is good stuff & quick drying but never used it for skimming.

It is used for preparation of artex to kill suction.

But someone gave me this tip once and i'm just passing it on. WBA needs several hours to dry and PVA isn't that great over a textured finish especially if it is unpainted. The sealer dries almost straight away and you can go on it as soon as its dry.
I didn't believe it myself when I got told but it does work, I use this technique quite often.

It is used for preparation of artex to kill suction.

But someone gave me this tip once and i'm just passing it on. WBA needs several hours to dry and PVA isn't that great over a textured finish especially if it is unpainted. The sealer dries almost straight away and you can go on it as soon as its dry.
I didn't believe it myself when I got told but it does work, I use this technique quite often.

No probs mate was just saying I've never skimmed on it.
Yeah it dries quick & sticks really well like you say.

I've used it for years but the only reason i never used it for plastering with was it is like silk emulsion when it's dry isn't it.
So there's no suction & no key, But then again the artex sticks to it well. :RpS_thumbup:

No probs mate was just saying I've never skimmed on it.
Yeah it dries quick & sticks really well like you say.

I've used it for years but the only reason i never used it for plastering with was it is like silk emulsion when it's dry isn't it.
So there's no suction & no key, But then again the artex sticks to it well. :RpS_thumbup:

No worries, give it a go sometime on a texed ceiling. Something else in your armoury.
I've never had a problem with it.

well thats made a simple jon harder than it needs to be!!! pva wba artex sealer.............i just want something that i can skim to!!!

Just go with a bonding agent. Certain artex can be hard work with PVA. Coat the lot with bonding agent and then you can go at it without pissin about between mixes.

well thats made a simple jon harder than it needs to be!!! pva wba artex sealer.............i just want something that i can skim to!!!

Whats hard about it?
If you have WBA use that, if you dont have any or don't have time to wait around use sealer. If you have neither of these then PVA.
Simples

i did end up using pva as i had 2 tubs of it but i wanted to try something new but went with the old trustee............ maybe i should have gone with the artex sealer but didnt and i wish i did as the stuff went off like lightening even tho it had 3 yes 3 coats of a strong pva mix

so i went to finish the house today and jesus man 3 coats of pva again as i didnt wanna go get artex sealer for what was left and fook me i bloody well should have from start to finish the sets went off in just over an hour i was gutted at how quickly i had to fly over everything did have time to sit down for my 3 cups of coffee per set lol

Next time your out, phoenix, pick up a tub and keep it on the van. Give it a go sometime and see how you get on, I promise you you will use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.