akward places

Status
Not open for further replies.

trowledover

just read somthing from dannys post and gave me an idea to start off a new threadakward places ?

radiators feather around them or what :-?
what are other peoples annoyying obsticals and how do you get around them?

I never feather any finish plaster and as for radiators I always request that they are taken off the wall. If customers wish to leave the brackets on the wall I have no problem plastering round them. For plastering round akward places I have a selection of small contractors tools e.g small tool, margin trowels, pointing trowel, gauging trowel, migit trowel and sponges. These normally get in the tight areas but I will always try and get a finishing in a space where it fits as this produces a better finish than using the smaller tools. I always make sure that awakard areas get well pva'd so that I have time with plastering around things, I also like to use the sponge float around awkward spaces as it helps to keep everything flat and leave a nice finish. Bathrooms are the rooms I hate where you get asked to plaster round sinks, toilets, wastes, pipes, baths, built in shelving etc, etc! Bloody nightmare jobs, but its work I suppose so won't complain, much! For those narrow areas down the sides of internal doors I always apply the plaster with my margin trowel or small tool and then use an old one inch decorators brush to brush the plaster up and down as this evens the thickness out. when trowelling up, I alternate between say the brush and margin trowel and the last trowel is done with the margin trowel. This method works well with me. Hope this helps

aaaah hate em!
Last week took 4 hours to do bay window with sockets pipes etc. after that was 18' wall which had nothing on it and took 1hr and half to finish.
Small tools is the answer but it's fiddly and time consuming. That's why I charge a day rate.

Also annoys me when sockets and switches ain't removed.

its good to see were all the same when it comes to the akward bits a pain in the a**e i tend to feather around radiators custemer not alwasy happy with taking them of but i explain how i will need to go around it. sockets i take of the wall where i can and cover with a old bread bag :D pipe work arhh they certinaly can slow the whole thing down ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.