Advise please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianw

Some advise please gents.I plastered an artex ceiling in one hit with 2 coats last week.The customer has just rung me saying that three quarters are fine but one quarter is rippled. She said another plasterer did the same up stairs.why is this and how can I quick fix it.

ripples will tend to occur when the substrate hasnt got enough suction for the thickness of plaster being applied...
e.g. say you pva'd the ceiling, it was already painted i.e. youve prolly overdone the pva, it was tacky where you started laying on but still wet for the 1/4 you finished up at...
youve put it on too thick and rather than dry as it should (from the back) its dried from the top i.e. its sat there grinning at you for an hour then flash set..
all youve done in the meantime is trowel the entire thickness round the ceiling causing ripples..
solution, do it again..

sounds like it could be the high points of the artex coming through when you trowel up. That might explain why some of it's alright and the rest is rippled.

pva it and whack another coat on?

Bag of Easifill mate, and skim out the ripply bit. Think of the extra weight you are adding by skimming it again.

adrianw said:
Never used it mate.How Do you apply that is it same as skim, pva and 2 coats.

no, it's a jointing finish. Just skim it on over the rough bit and sand it when dry. A bit like polyfilla but on a larger scale.

Just been round to look at the offending ceiling and i'm a bit p..sed off. There is f..ck all wrong with it.It's as smooth as my head and i'm bald. I honestly don't know what they want from me.

has it been painted yet? could be they think it looks rippled because of the different colour in plaster due to different thickness...?

adrianw said:
Just been round to look at the offending ceiling and i'm a bit p..sed off. There is f..ck all wrong with it.It's as smooth as my head and i'm bald. I honestly don't know what they want from me.

So whats happening then?

adrianw said:
Some advise please gents.I plastered an artex ceiling in one hit with 2 coats last week.The customer has just rung me saying that three quarters are fine but one quarter is rippled. She said another plasterer did the same up stairs.why is this and how can I quick fix it.
Did you look at the example upstairs?

You say it's smooth, could it possibley be caused by sunlight comming through the window and creating some kind of siloet(or however you spell it)?

adrianw said:
I wba the ceiling then went back the next day to skim

Did you use multi finish or board finish cos like someone has already said the ceiling is completely sealed and is therefore a low suction background, I prefer board finish when theres not sucky sucky ;)
makes life a lot easier than hanging around for pimple patches setting enough to trowel em out.

You've already had to go back, and now you want to know if you can one coat it? How long is it gonna take you to put on the second coat! Personaly it's always 2 coats for me, except on the odd reveal or patching around sockets, but that's just me

Im not doing anything with it cos ive been back to look at it and theres f..ck all wrong with it.He probably had muck on his glasses the to..er.

Status
Not open for further replies.