advise on retraining as a plasterer please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tourian

Hi, my names jason, im 28, live in the bognor and chichester area of west sussex. I've spent the last 10 yrs or so working as a chef (Dont worry im physicly fit get downthe gym and run marathons..,. Well 10ks and halves lol) and a year before that in my teens genral labouring, I kind of fell inro chefing and as such dont have a level 2 qualification in the subject which seems to be causing more and more problems as time goes on but more to the point I dont want to do it anymore. I've reached apoint in my life where I could go back to college if I wanted to, and I fancy plastering, have for a while. The courses available at the local college is cskills diplomas from level 1 to 3 however as I understand it you must then find work and complete an nvq before you can be concidered a plasterer. This I all get but I wonder if after obtaining the level 1 and 2 qualifications and being at 30 yrs of age by then I would have problems getting somone to take me on, I. Dont mind starting from the bottim again and am a. Grafter. I have few commitments so initial low wages wouldn't be a problem and I drive and have my own van and would assume by then my own tools but am I likley to get anyone to take me on and conrinue to teach at that point.... all. Advice appreciated cheers fellas

well i thought you were gonna tell me your grannies secret reciepes there ! lol good luck by the way

hi tourian first off bud it will take at least a couple of years on the trowel before you are classed as a plasterer/ improver at least 2 and only then probably a skimmer, if i was you i would honestly get the nvq in what your doing now times are seriously hard in the building at moment and spreads are not even taking young apprentices on because they cant afford to pay them at the minute , then theres getting all your tools around you and a van plus after all that you will need a cscs card /public liability insurance /asbestos awareness cetificates for certain jobs all your kit will need to be pat tested i could go on and you also need to be a bit mad i found it ok im a doctor part time:RpS_laugh:

welcome along and good luck but, Plastering? if i was your age and looking to retrain i would seriously look at the so called technical trades, Electrical or Plumbing. Electrical in particular can lead to more than just construction or property renovation and give a broader possible career path. If you are sure plastering is the only thing for you bare in mind it is hard physical work which takes it's toll on the body over the years from carpal tunnel to tennis elbow, dodgy knees, shoulders etc etc. Finding someone to work with after your initial training may be hard in the current economic climate but not impossible. So after my 2p worth good luck again whatever you do :RpS_thumbup:

well i thoght you were gonna tell me your grannies secret reciepes there ! lol good luck by the way

Haha thanks man, you could always ask ;) . Read up on first posts and thought id introduce myself an get as much info out there as poss. Lol. It really is just that end bit that concerns me, rest doesn't. Phase me its what I want to do.

Cheers for the imput fellas ill bare it in mind but pretty sure im gonna put in for the corse
still some usefull pointers there cheers

Welcome Jason, yes plastering will suite you because you have been used to multi tasking and working under pressure whilst keeping yourself and tools of your trade clean.
You will be fine, best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.