image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi everyone
I have had my ceiling skimmed this week and to be honest i arent very happy with it and i also noticed something never seen when ive had work done before there appears to be a line halfway across the ceiling and its drying differently on either side. Where it meets in the middle its very rough and uneven as shown in the photos when i hold something flat up to it could someone advise me why. Ive held a piece of plasterboard up to ceiling where the line in the ceiling is and the photo where it shows a drawing on the piece of plasterboard shows the difference in colours between both sides. It seems to have a lot of marks on it will these show when painted bearing in mind spotlights will be shining across the ceiling not downwards.

Hiya the bear beef
No to be honest i am an engineer by trade haha i once had a go when i was 17 is am 38 now! And i couldnt get it even on the hand trowel! In all seriousness as a plasterer do you think i should be asking a few questions. I dont know him he came recommended to be honest and i am really curious why its so different colour wise on both sides!
Thanks for your response

Its hard to give an honest opinion from pictures, you always get slight bumps in plaster as its a hand applied finish. Using a foot of plasterboard isn't really a good way to check either.

Without seeing it properly i'd say let it dry give it a coat of paint and if your not happy call them back. Colour of it doesn't say a thing really either as it could be 2-3mm thicker on a joint and if bits needed filling out and areas will dry at different rates.

Lads come on get off the fence. I was trying to be diplomatic about it.

To be fair i thought it looked shite but im on the app and thought it was harsh to just hammer it off a 4" screen.

I'm on a phone and it looks s**t it's full of slacks on one side and it is full of grit on the other where he has lost it and scraped back once it has set, no two ways about it's rough as f**k :)

Hi everyone thank you for all your feedback. My concern is the spotlights on this ceiling in the kitchen will shine across rather than downwards. The ceiling has section in the middle which is lower like the photo i have attached so am i right by assuming it will look even worse with the lights going that direction? To be honest hes doing it in stages and we have paid him £250 so far for the internal section of the ceiling to give you an idea of its size its around 4 meters by 3.5. I guess when he said he had been plastering for 20 years he was telling me fibs! The piece of plasterboard i used for the photos was on the square edge i will try a spirit level though.
Would you recommend getting somebody else to over skim it or could it be sanded? Thanks again for all your advise

get a coat of paint over it and have a look :)

You cant really tell for sure how bad it is till its had a coat :)

What happened is he didn't flattened the ceiling enough with the first trowel and tried to fill the gaps and marks with the wet trowel. The darker sections are clearly showing you how he finished the faltering of the ceiling and the the rest is just attempt to make it right. Don't even bother painting it. Once the light hits the wall will be complete disaster. I bet he hasn't heard of the magic speedskim and über flex trowel? They can do all of this in one go for you :lol:

Go over it with your hand and see how it feels. Sometimes these marks are ok for painting. My main concern is the bump.

I'd say by the pics he hadn't been plastering 20 minutes let alone 20 years!
Board and skim that size ceiling is usually a days work for me and I asume the same for many other spreads.the section in the middle that he has already attempted is tiny,if the ceiling was the only job you contracted him for a spread would have not just put the middle bit on as anyone with anything about them would have pleanty of time to put the rest on and still make a quality job.
It would be worth getting him back to make him realise he can't get away with this again.
If your looking for someone else to do the work ask on here and let us know where your from.:)

Thanks For all your help everyone when you run your hand over it i can feel all sorts of bumps and marks you can catch your finger nails in some of them! I am from the outskirts of leeds in west yorkshire. I am going to call him back on monday and just tell him i arent happy with it! I wont mention ive put the pictures on here i dont want to get into a mud slinging contest with him if i can avoid it. Ive put a spirit level on it and it rocks were the line is all down the middle its 2mm out in most places and the marks on the photos are everywhere ive also noticed that light coloured streak marks which when you rub them come off like a powder! Thanks again

Hi everyone thank you for all your feedback. My concern is the spotlights on this ceiling in the kitchen will shine across rather than downwards. The ceiling has section in the middle which is lower like the photo i have attached so am i right by assuming it will look even worse with the lights going that direction? To be honest hes doing it in stages and we have paid him £250 so far for the internal section of the ceiling to give you an idea of its size its around 4 meters by 3.5. I guess when he said he had been plastering for 20 years he was telling me fibs! The piece of plasterboard i used for the photos was on the square edge i will try a spirit level though.
Would you recommend getting somebody else to over skim it or could it be sanded? Thanks again for all your advise

Skim only go's on at 2mm. U should but a spirit level on the plasterboard before it is skimmed. And if it is out get the carpenter back to fix it. Ps the skimming in the picture is sh1t finish.

It will look shitt painted, but paint it any way, then you have a a good reason to call him back and be more than reasonable about the complaint, also any re-skimming will be better off after its had a coat of paint.

image.jpg
He didnt skim onto board it was an overskim and the plaster he was plastering over was fine and level etc the previous skim was done about 8 years ago and was very good finish wise (nothing like this)unfortunately that plasterer now lives in australia! The outer section is new plasterboard though were its been timber framed.
I asked for it replastering just to make sure it looks okay and there was a couple of slight cracks i asked him if it needed replastering or over boarding as the joiner called it and the plasterer said i didnt need boarding! The end product should look like on the photo.

i would cut the hump out, overboard and skim. i would not float the ceiling out as it has already been skimmed at least twice.
you need to have a decent job of this ceiling as it is a feature of the room with both downlights and uplights hitting it. i would not let your plasterer any where near it!

Thanks malc and everyone else in the forum who has commented! I can imagine its annoying for you all when you get lads who cant do the job call themselves plasterers! If any lads cover the outskirts of leeds can you send me your details please.

Its as rough as assholes!! Thats plain to see from pic's my ex apprentice covers whole of leeds will send u his details! Hes very good!

I put a spirit level on the joint that runs down the middle and it rocks like a see saw its about 2-3mm out my sparky had a look and he said it looks like hes done it in 2 halfs and tried to join it in the middle. He said he hasnt seen that done before! I will get it redone by someone compitent! Do you think i should ask for the money back?
Ive checked all the other marks and you can feel them pretty badly there is also lines everywhere which are about 12 to 13 inches long what are those?

[QUOTE="Shawnyb, post: 857850, member: 28714"
Do you think i should ask for the money back?
[/QUOTE]

why not ,you have not received value for money!

12 to 13 inches long what are those?
these are trowel marks by the sound of it, I do believe you have been conned by a 5 day course man who isn't fast enough or good enough to be trading as a plasterer , And don't forget your a engineer working to tight measurements, plastering is using a wet product applied by hand over extensive area not always perfect ,but there definitely shouldn't be a line or joint halfway through your ceiling ,im in your area but got a bit of work on at the moment

Who knows what circumstances he had to work under. Maybe the rest try was fine. Could of been a bad but he had to work in. More pictures

Who knows what circumstances he had to work under. Maybe the rest try was fine. Could of been a bad but he had to work in. More pictures

if the conditions are not correct then you do not start. that is why i am not rendering today, as we have rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.