Advice

Members online

jeffreypca

I have a 1865 victorian. Had to take down plaster ceiling because was falling down. I am installing gyprock on ceiling. I have plaster crown that I am trying to save, So I am butting gyprock up to it. My question is can i use construction adhesive to bond crown that will meet gyprock to the lathe to prevent crown from moving/falling apart. Or what else can i use? Thank you!

I have a 1865 victorian. Had to take down plaster ceiling because was falling down. I am installing gyprock on ceiling. I have plaster crown that I am trying to save, So I am butting gyprock up to it. My question is can i use construction adhesive to bond crown that will meet gyprock to the lathe to prevent crown from moving/falling apart. Or what else can i use? Thank you!
damp it down first and let your glue push up through lath

20201216_205503.jpg

I would try and strengthen from the back of the cornice mould. Dampen down lime/plaster cornice and apply hessian scrim cloth soaked in class A/fine casting plaster to the back. Try to position the plaster wads over any supporting timbers. Its going to be messy and difficult to get access but it will give strength if done correctly. To support the plasterboards where it meets the cornice if the distance is more than 300mm. I would position timber the correct thickness, or use lime/plaster to get it flush, then plasterboard over and if needed screw through plasterboard and plaster into timer laths. You have done well to cut back laths without damage to cornice.

@Casper

No
Use board adhesive and if the gaps are nasty - buy a square meter of hessian cloth, pull apart the cords/stands and use them to build up the infill. Leave it shy off the intended finished surface and skim over with ceiling