Advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtybill

Done a small plaster repair job few weeks back about 1m2 in a living room, now the problem is that there is a dark line as though it hasnt dried properlyt between the finish on the patch i did marrying into the existing plaster which is old school plaster (lime maybe not sure) this line seems to be persisting even after the painter using a stain block and two coats its still evident.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Forgot to mention the area i plastered had been damaged before and when they renovated and i think they used plaster board then a backin plaster (browining) on top then multi, could the gyproc behind have any sort of effect?

There was water staining (brown stain) up high in corner which was also in the cornice, i reckon there must have been a freak leak at some point as i checked the loft space and there was no evidence of water pen at that time, the stain had been there a year before i seen it and had neither grown nor receeded.

have done a few jobs lately where there has been staining like that, its always where some one has reskimed over the old sand lime plaster. to me it seems as though the new skim is drawing any moisture that is in the old plaster and holding onto it :RpS_unsure:, just started 1 today in a attic bloke had a leak , he got that sorted about 7 month ago, after he painted the stain came back worse than ever ! have taken it back to brick and the reskim was dark as tho it had moisture in it but old stuff behind it was bone dry, gona s & c then skim it, always seems to work.

did you put the skim on thick in this area what is not dried .

No just the norm

have done a few jobs lately where there has been staining like that, its always where some one has reskimed over the old sand lime plaster. to me it seems as though the new skim is drawing any moisture that is in the old plaster and holding onto it :RpS_unsure:, just started 1 today in a attic bloke had a leak , he got that sorted about 7 month ago, after he painted the stain came back worse than ever ! have taken it back to brick and the reskim was dark as tho it had moisture in it but old stuff behind it was bone dry, gona s & c then skim it, always seems to work.

This was my initial thought, how the feck do we rememdy it outwith s/c ing it bearing in mind its gyproc behind in this area?

Probably a problem with the gutter getting behind the facia and soaking through, the probs not been sorted and patching with gypsum backing your wasting your time.

Thanks for that but you can safely rule that out as its smack bang in the middle of a gable and the walls behind are bone dry.

P.S i never put the gyproc in it was there from previous damage whilst renovating

noticed some stains also on a flat i have just rescimmed ove lime plaster like a brown kinda rust about 5 different spots, their was dampness their before scimming it

I have seen something like this , somebody made good chasing on ground floor walls, which also was lime render they did the backing
coat in hardwall and skim never dried out and plaster was dark looking.If it was me I would cut and use sand .cement then skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.