Advice with Plasterers

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandogs

Hi folks, new to here and possibly posting in the wrong section so apologies if I am.

I need a bit of advice from some professionals...

Got some plasterers in my house at the minute (front room and dining room) and want to know what sort of finish I need to be looking for?

Currently on the ceiling I can see the lines of the plasterboards underneath the skimming...Is this normal?

On various points in the wall and again on the ceiling I can see a fair bit of mesh (it looks like mesh anyway, I am sure there is a proper name for it!) through the the plaster.

Finally, I can still see various parts of the angle beads that haven't been covered properly.

Just wondering if any of the above is normal or I should be pointing these things out to them?

Any help would be very welcome

Cheers

Pete

Hello mate,

Sounds like one coat cowboys? Pull them up on this and ask them to rectify.

Pat

thanks for the advice...not great at confrontations, but this looks like it is going to descend into one :-\

As above you should never see the tape and the only part of the bead showing should be the finished edge which should be whiped clean

Na, I went for the middle of three

£600 for two 4x3m rooms with ceilings boarded...not sure if that is cheap?

depends where abouts you are, a fair price if the ceilings already boarded imo

they boarded the ceilings, myself and father in law boarded around the windows (old house...needed doing)

based in manchester

No excuses for bad beading. Sometimes when the plaster is drying you can see the outline of a board. This is down to different thicknesses of plaster. Were the joints are, more platster will be present and will dry a little slower. If when it drys you can still see the lines thaen that is unacceptible. Have a look on line at finished plaster walls and ceilings.

Hi Pete , by what you described , it doesn't sound good >: what you are looking for is neat and tidy work , sharp and straight angles ,clean and a flat finish along the skirting board lines , no holes or gaps in the junctions of the angles and uniform one colour to the drying out plaster .Was these guys reconmended to you ?

CHurch i always suffer from my finish drying in a load of different colours, although it paints up ok. I tend to do reskims on old backing plasters. Is it still possible to get uniform colours on older backgrounds?

Yes its possible , but what im trying to get at in my above post is trying to find out if they are using Fat to trowel up and fill in with ;) dont worry about yer work mate im sure its fine ;)

The mesh that you can see is scrim grinning through, it should't be there mate, sounds like a abit of a rough job. you need to say something and give them chance to sort it but if not satisfactory then hold onto your money. There's not really any excuse for it showing through though. Do you know the guys doing the work......?

don't sound good :mad: sounds like they have come in with a lowish price and tried to one coat it. to make up the time.
scrim, should not be showing! joints only show if thinned over! sometimes you can make out beading but should never see the metal only the edge.
I'm on a kitchen at the min i boarded the walls, but the customer boarded the ceiling which was not the best,
i had to double tape some joints ..which meant nice thick two coat (only way) no tape and no lines!!!

P1050526.jpg

You say your in manchester? Sounds alot to me like some fella I have heard of from those ways. Did he show you a gold card when he came to look at the job and call himself flynnyman? ;D

You can sometimes see the joints in plasterboard after its dried, its to do with different depths of plaster its just ends up a different colour for some weird reason. So variation in colour isnt a problem as long as its actually flat.

Being able to see the scrim and beads however, is a problem and as some people above have allready said its probably too thin.

Three coats of woodchip should sort it out ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.