advice please re; flooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

right then saw 2 jobs last night, 1st=
terrace house flooded last year water damage about 10-12 inch up from floor. i was goin to bond it up then skim over top and take skimming about 2ft up from floor. they also want me to put skirts on (the wooden kind).
problem is the original plaster which got water damaged is still on the wall, it has been left for 12 months but i am unsure about the air getting to the damp brickwork. will a really good coat of PVA sort this out or does it need choppin back then leaving again for a certain period of time.

2nd=
burst pipe under floorboards of bathroom above kitchen insuranse job, ceilling re-board (10-11 ft high)
1 wall got water damage and the rest wants skimming, problem is the guy who owns the house doesn't want the skirting of so i was goin to reboard top half of the wall skrim, bit of bonding and then skim the lot.
its a pretty bit room and i am bit unsure on the price so any help regarding insurance work and the price will be sound.
16ft long
12ft wide
10-11ft high
materials alone come to £170
scaffold hire about £30-40 yet to check.
then me and labourer £510
total of £720.00 does that sound fair.
askin this because as i have said before i am use to site work but unable to drive at the min so takin what i can.
cheers lads for any help

right then saw 2 jobs last night, 1st=
terrace house flooded last year water damage about 10-12 inch up from floor. i was goin to bond it up then skim over top and take skimming about 2ft up from floor. they also want me to put skirts on (the wooden kind).
problem is the original plaster which got water damaged is still on the wall, it has been left for 12 months but i am unsure about the air getting to the damp brickwork. will a really good coat of PVA sort this out or does it need choppin back then leaving again for a certain period of time.

2nd=
burst pipe under floorboards of bathroom above kitchen insuranse job, ceilling re-board (10-11 ft high)
1 wall got water damage and the rest wants skimming, problem is the guy who owns the house doesn't want the skirting of so i was goin to reboard top half of the wall skrim, bit of bonding and then skim the lot.
its a pretty bit room and i am bit unsure on the price so any help regarding insurance work and the price will be sound.
16ft long
12ft wide
10-11ft high
materials alone come to £170
scaffold hire about £30-40 yet to check.
then me and labourer £510
total of £720.00 does that sound fair.
askin this because as i have said before i am use to site work but unable to drive at the min so takin what i can.
cheers lads for any help
the first one i would strip back and replater in limelite and finish the next day in limelite finish(not cheap tho)
the second one depends on how long it will take you as you have to put up scaffold,strip plaster,bag it and dispose of it,look to earn £200 a day
hope this helps

never used that limelite before the wall is dry but that fact that the original plaster is still on worries my slightly,
the 2nd 1 the plumber is meant to be taking the ceilling down, how much of that he does is unknown i haven;t qouted for us doing that as the guy who owns it said the plumber will do it.
should take 3 days
1st day re-board prep dot n dab beads tape up ect
2nd day skim ceilling couple walls
3rd day finish skimming tidy-up
this is what i hate about private work.
the guy from the second house was pestering me for a price yesterday i told him i would need to work out materials and labour charge's
i eventually said between 600-700 he didn't look happy but i dont work for free.
any way i wasn't too far out thankfully with £720
but now if i get the job and have to take the ceilling down too, this will force me to charge extra
therefore he wont be happy because i haven't stuck to my price.
got to ring him later with the price i will have to explain all this too him

the brick behind may not be dry tho(limelite allows any salts and moisture out after plastering)
the second one,your doing extra work so why shouldnt you charge more?

If the second job is an insurance job the price should be irlevent to the guy as his insurance is paying for it. Saying that some folk are funny and will still submit the cheaper quotes! You get what you pay for! He should be pestering you for a written quote to send to insurance. If this is the case, most insurance companies want 2 quotes. My advise is quote for the unexpected and try and find out if someone else is quoting for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.