Advice please on which rendering system

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dholmaster

Hi,

I need advice on which would be the best rendering system for me to use on my house. I have been going the forum and am confused on how my house should be rendered.

The render needs to be applied to a mixure of surfaces; bricks, blocks and ply.

The building control officer recommended i should use a mesh thing where any bricks and blocks meet to reduce cracks which is something i am very concerned about. I would appreciate advise on how best to render my house e.g. how to prepare the surface, which rendering system to use; traditional sand & cement or the monocouche stuff like k rend or weber pral etc.

I have attached a couple of picture of the house to give an indication.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC03339.jpg
    DSC03339.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC03383.jpg
    DSC03383.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 369
your choice really depends on your budget, but a monocouche would look well or you could use a lightweight base rend and top in an acrylic

onto brick and block you would be best advised to use a polymer basecoat with a mesh embedded in this - this will help reduce cracking and help to strengthen the render. there will not be a significant difference between using k rend and sand and cement - long term you will have to paint numerous times whereas with a through coloured render you will only have to wash every now and again. hence long term big savings and level of performance of the render can be controlled to a certain extent.

onto ply you will have to use a render carrier system such as a good quality cement board - then apply polymer modified basecoat and you will have the option of thincoat render or scraped textured render.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I need advice on which would be the best rendering system for me to use on my house. I have been going the forum and am confused on how my house should be rendered.

The render needs to be applied to a mixure of surfaces; bricks, blocks and ply.

The building control officer recommended i should use a mesh thing where any bricks and blocks meet to reduce cracks which is something i am very concerned about. I would appreciate advise on how best to render my house e.g. how to prepare the surface, which rendering system to use; traditional sand & cement or the monocouche stuff like k rend or weber pral etc.

I have attached a couple of picture of the house to give an indication.

Many thanks in advance.

We can offer you the JUB system, with this you will have a full specification and BBA approval along with manufacturers guarantee. You can opt for a Render only system or we can offer the Insulating system / Energy saving system as well.

Dependent on your budget we we can offer you products from basic acrylic to self cleaning render with Nano technology. The system has a 10 year guarantee

If this is of interest please do not hesitate to contact me on: 01242 236699

Ryan

Personally I'd go with traditional sand and cement which is considerably cheaper material wise than any of the monocouche type renders. Mesh can also be bedded into S&C to alleviate the likely hood of cracking and there is a choice of finishes available. S&C can easily be used over all the substrates you mention.
A good quality paint will last ten years and there aren't many mono jobs that still look all that good after ten years. Or you could even have a white cement render or white cement with an added colour.

http://sandonplastering.co.uk/Light...ullsize/external-rendering-12-w700x500_fs.jpg

This property is mainly blockwork but the projection is three coat render on ply.

Hi, thanks everyone for their advice.

I've had someone local to come take a look and he has recommended eml mesh all over the house to help strengthen the render and help prevent cracks. K rend polymer base coat and then K Rend Silicone FT.

I mentioned fibre glass mesh to him and also how i thought the k rend stuff is a single application straight to block and brick work. He said a polymer basecoat and EML over fibre glass mesh is much better at resisting cracks.

How does this sound?

Agree with Warrior, this would cost a fortune. Parex supply fibreglass mesh in different strengths which would be more than adequate. I would go with a polymer base coat though.

That does sound expensive if you have it done that way , why not consider the external wall insulation with a thin coat render,it will never crack

That does sound expensive if you have it done that way , why not consider the external wall insulation with a thin coat render,it will never crack

Status
Not open for further replies.