Advice please on overboarding lath wall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamruairi

Hi there, and may I say thanks for a brilliant forum! Searching around is great, really helpful stuff.  I tried searching this specific problem but to no avail.  I am putting a new kitchen in (advanced DIYer) and one wall has a door being blocked up with plasterboard. The wall this is in is old lath and plaster.  I am going to strip the wallpaper off this wall and overboard it.  A professional plasterer told me to uni bond the wall and overboard (screwing boards into wall joists). What does he mean? Surely he means overboard, THEN prime the plasterboard with pva before painting? Why would I uni bond the laths? Apologies if this has been talked about before, I just wasn't sure what he meant. Many thanks for any advice this forum has been really useful so far in my renovation project!
liam

Hi
yeah just overboard it like you said,no need to pva before doing so.Then dryline or skim before painting.

Thanks guys that's the reason this forum is so good, quick concise friendly answers and advice! I was always told to prime the plasterboard before painting if not skimming and a pva solution was best, or emulsion with 10% water added to stop the joints soaking up paint at a different rate to the p/b? It's not going to be tiled I know not to PVA a p/b wall that's going to be tiled (this forum taught me that!)

Just paint the plasterboard in 50-50 paint water for its first coat. This seals it so to speak, then paint as normal. No Pva required.

not much else to add to the above answers, but i would just go with the watered down paint for the first coat then 2 normal coats

Status
Not open for further replies.