advice on plastering over damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave w

Hi Guys
Been asked to do some work in a old church to repair damp plaster around some windows, they don't want old plaster removing as it is around old stained glass windows, any idea's, i was thinking scrape off damaged paint & plaster , rub down, sbr & limelite finish, i've told them it needs to all come off but they just want it skimming.

Attachments

• 0212hunt-05.jpg
    0212hunt-05.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 626
@seanlar problem I see is its lime plaster,sbr will stop it breathing ,I am not an expert on this at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they call in a plasterer ,when " they don't want old plaster removing " :RpS_confused: God works in funny ways

The first thing is curing the damp problem. You don't want to just cover it up and the damp still be there. They'll be calling you back saying it's falling off even though you have already told them it needs removing.

As was said you don't want SBR as it will stop the wall breathing but there is clearly a serious damp issue to cause even the lime to blow like it has.

If you have to remove it, which I would suggest as you have then stress to them that it will be done by hand. Will probably just fall off anyway, you won't be using a breaker just hand tools. If they are adamant they just want it covered then pre worn them and get them to sign that they are happy with it.

You can get a fibre lime. Lime skim with lots of fibres mixed in it which is ideal for over skimming. But it looks like your going to need to take at least some of the bubbling off unless you want to cause yourself more problems.

looks like salt.............whats the condition of the stone work and pointing outside?. hiding it is a waste of time and money.

especially when the need the money for the church roof.

Nearly every church av been in is saving for the new church roof but av never seen a church with a new roof...........................:RpS_unsure:

looks like salt.............whats the condition of the stone work and pointing outside?. hiding it is a waste of time and money.

especially when the need the money for the church roof.

Nearly every church av been in is saving for the new church roof but av never seen a church with a new roof...........................:RpS_unsure:
Or a steeple needing renovating ..

Church where I got married got a new roof last year. Only because my mother in law is part of the church committee thingy I know how much it actually cost to replace a church roof. Wait for it

Half a million quid

Church where I got married got a new roof last year. Only because my mother in law is part of the church committee thingy I know how much it actually cost to replace a church roof. Wait for it

Half a million quid

Was it lead ? one of my marra's up here quoted for one of the churches in town at 140k for welsh slate (it's a big roof) and he got knocked back, the firm who did do it were 25k under his price (big firm from north west somewhere) mind they did have to come back with buckets and mops more than a few times :RpS_lol:

Half a million quid
Which church?

Hi Guys
Been asked to do some work in a old church to repair damp plaster around some windows, they don't want old plaster removing as it is around old stained glass windows, any idea's, i was thinking scrape off damaged paint & plaster , rub down, sbr & limelite finish, i've told them it needs to all come off but they just want it skimming.

I'm guessing the external masonry is sand stone?
Are you talking about the internal window stone mullions?
Normally they are fair faced (smooth) for internal masonry and nearly always finished with thick lime wash (when constructed), but very rarely plastered unless the stonework has perished or suffered damage.
Use an old sharp chisel and have a good look underneath.

LOL just noticed this;
"Use an old sharp chisel and have a good look underneath"
Any priest worth his salt would love that!
A big burly spread having a good old look underneath his cassock at his perished mullions
:RpS_blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.