advice on plastering around an arch window

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

olyboy

hi all!! i pricing a job at the mo and wondered the best way of going about plastering around a arch window reveal. the wall is currently a bare brick wall with a arched window in, i was going to just hardwall the wall including the reveal with no beads and then nail a thin coat plastic arch bead and skim with multi. is this the way or should a be beading the window before i hardwall it?? ?? blah blah blah hope this makes sense, thanks for any advice......

Depends really on the arch, you could buy arch beads or plastic floating beads that do the same job, bang it on and then fix your arc bead or plastic bead leaving it equidistant from the frame and keeping the arch in the original line of the plaster that was.as I said depends on the arch, do it right and it looks sweet, do it wrong and its cat, enjoy.

I don't use that crap I use lime lite snd use render beads render as normal then scrape back a few mm in to allow a flush finish when skimed, then put a bendy bead on obviously befor u skim

Sorry that looked rong I mean on ur straights like and everything lime lite put the bendy bead on befor u skim, poor explaining sorry

righty ho so, i could hardwall it using a arch render bead ( forgive me if thats not what there called :) ) and then fix another thin coat arch bead over the top and skim....

in case i didnt explain properly the arch is already there and window in but its just bare brickwork

A bead that is designed to be flexible will do ,one that can do the 360 degrees,, no need for second skim arch bead unless you leave the floating one rough

Olyboy i really don't mean to sound harsh here but, if you do not know how to form the arch should u really be putting a price in anyway? Why risk doing something it would appear u have little knowledge of and then risk it all going t#ts up and you looking like a right ar#se ?

Yeh more than 1 way to skin a cat as they say , I do diffrent things all the time jus to suit the ******* job

When I asked my old man how he learned to do arches, he said he went to bed with his arm round a P*ss Pot:RpS_confused:

i know what your saying man :) im just asking different ways of doing it, i know im capable if pointed in the right direction, im the first to admit im no plasterer, yeah i can skim but ive not done much work with floating and setting, all my work has been dot and dab and fixing to studwork. i'll do my research and then decide to put a price in or not :)

Oly I'd set vertical beads and rule the arch like you would a reveal then do the face and stick an arch bead on it, you can try bending beads but I've never had much luck

You could always dab a board inside reveal leave it past wall for a guide hardwall front of wall then fix plastic arch bead eyeing it up to the arch window then skim

is it an arched window or is it a semi circular window ie do it have to vertical reveals then the arch or is it a horizontal going straight to the arch or what type of arch is it ? is it classical ? gothic ? segmented ?

The bead you're describing is for skimming asif it's a lot different bedding them on for floating

The bead you're describing is for skimming asif it's a lot different bedding them on for floating
There is one for floating too spunky, I have them in my lock up, used them in Nottingham hill around an external arch where the rendered had to be repaired , a lot easier than when I had to make my own and a lot of them fail as the kink.

right oly will try to explain here goes: set the angle beads to the reveal corners first these should be cut and set to the wall so there tops are exactly at the intersection of the vertical to the start of the radius check with a level that they are at the same height cos if not u will be in s##te later. check the beads for plumb set your return widths then stand back and check by eye that your beads are square to the window frame if they are not check for plumb again and if ok and window is on th p#ss call the window fitter a to##er and point out his shoddy workmanship to the customer:RpS_lol: Then as John says use a flexi bead to actually form thr arch cut to length and depending on the type of bead it is cut the heads off a couple of clout nails slot them into the tops of the verticals and gently nip them into place leaving approx 3 to 5 mm showing for the flexi bead to slot onto this will give a nice smooth transition into the arch check the reveal widths of the arch and remember to keep stepping back and look at it to make sure it looks right. oh you would set the beads in place using a stiff half ucket of multi hope this helps !

rip it out and put a square window in sorted. then bill them for fitting the lintel doing the brick work and window fitting and plastering it

rip it out and put a square window in sorted. then bill them for fitting the lintel doing the brick work and window fitting and plastering it

Surely you get sick of doing the same old boring square angled flat walls... Arches, bullnoses and curved walls/ceiling is what keep me interested.

Spanky i hear you brother i hear you as sad as it is i dream of the day's when someone rings me and ask's if i could give them a quote for a pair of in-situ niches or a circular room with a 6ft radius and a domed cieling oh and by the way we also want in-situ dadorail and a freeze cast around the top. it has been years since i had a phone call like that years:RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.