Advice needed

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Ok,so I did my diploma l1 last year and am now undecided on what to do next,do I A,go back for my level 2(another year), pay and do an nvq with goldtrowel( short and sweet but is it worth the fees),or 3, try and gain as much experience in the real world as I possibly can? I can do a bit but I found college slow last year and not as hands on as I hoped. There was talk that the tutor was going to try and change that for this year with less classroom time and more time working with the tools. Any input would be appreciated.

Ok,so I did my diploma l1 last year and am now undecided on what to do next,do I A,go back for my level 2(another year), pay and do an nvq with goldtrowel( short and sweet but is it worth the fees),or 3, try and gain as much experience in the real world as I possibly can? I can do a bit but I found college slow last year and not as hands on as I hoped. There was talk that the tutor was going to try and change that for this year with less classroom time and more time working with the tools. Any input would be appreciated.

You defo want your NVQ 2 as all sites will be only accepting that as a minimum, year 2 should be more hands on so I heard...
@Pudlove or whatever his name is, is a lecturer I think so hopefully will be able to give you more of an insight??

Last edited by a moderator:
You defo want your NVQ 2 as all sites will be only accepting that as a minimum, year 2 should be more hands on so I heard...
@Pudlove or whatever his name is, is a lecturer I think so hopefully will be able to give you more of an insight??

Yeah just some of last year's level 2ers where wank,to put it politely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi George -

regarding the above, level 1 diploma is more of an introduction to plastering, progressing onto level 2 should be more hands on practical, training with a practical synoptic end test for each unit - for example internal plastering plasterboard and set to ceiling float and set to a window wall. There are six practical units internal solid, external solid, dry lining, floor screed, produce fibrous products and fix fibrous products- the other 3 units are more paper based Health and safety, communications and quantities, construction technology.The diploma evidence is produced in the training environment, with the NVQs the evidence is produced on construction sites. Like spanky says in the future you'll require The NVQ to work on construction sites so it would be an advantage to continue at college, but continue with your own jobs - to further your experiences:RpS_thumbsup:

Yeah the tutor was good,just a few problems with how it worked,we did the morning theory and afternoon practical but they was planning on changing that so we did more theory at home so more hours going over the practical stuff. I think ill stick with college as it's more affordable than a short intense course that I may end up walking away with nothing more than I know now,if that makes sense .
Cheers for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.