Advertising yourself, help required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denn

I have always worked for a company and always been in the comfort zone. I spent the last ten years on social housing schemes but 2 years ago I had two knee ops where I discovered the news that I had grade 4 osteoarthritis. I was struggling but never knew it was that.

Whilst recovering the company went bust and left me with no other options but to go solo.

My knees are bad and I couldn't possible to a full time job plastering, I have posted business cards to local areas but I have not picked up one job. The only work I have managed to do are from people that knew I was a good plasterer.

Is there any good advice how to put across to the public that I am available?

Kind regards Denn

Unfortunately Denn there is no short cut for this one marra it takes time. I know some use flyers now rather than business cards cos they are cheaper to produce/buy. I know way back when i first started on me own i built up the contacts from weekend work etc and used that as the gauge as when to go alone i.e. when i was not getting any time off and turning work away ! Good luck to you and welcome along

Welcome to the forum Denn.
Apart from leaflet & business card drops,
Try ringing local plasterers/plastering firms, building firms, loft conversion companies etc that you could sub to.

Get you van sign written,
Get a website, (Ask Danny)
Make a Facebook page, (FREE)
Join Freeindex website. (FREE)
etc....

Good luck
:RpS_thumbup:

Hi Denn

Welcome along mate...

It is a word of mouth and getting yourself known thing I am afraid..... Where are you actually based? Lots of guys on here suddenly get busy and need a hand now and then.... let us know what you can do, or want to do...

do you have transport? how far would you be prepared to travel?

there is also a section on here where plasterers advertise looking for other plasterers.... have alook there

Good Luck mate - afraid it is a time thing...

You could always try the BNI meeting thing kebab king swears by it, never been meself.
I think he just goes for the free breakfast to be honest :RpS_biggrin:

Retrain, if ya knees n bones are that bad , you really need to rethink your options

Thank's for all the replies.

Knees are bad but I manage to do a couple of days now and then. Done a few ceilings for a guy that doesn't really like doing them (Skimming over artex).

Applied for several different jobs but my age of 57 seems to put them off.

45 years in the trade.

Knees are bad but I manage to do a couple of days now and then. Done a few ceilings for a guy that doesn't really like doing them (Skimming over artex).

45 years in the trade.

Ah right, then maybe retire ! lol only kidding , your never too old to retrain though, teaching, assesing etc

Built it my arse ...... its aquapanel then wallcrete .:RpS_wink:
him and Rich done it one weekend when they were apprentices .
yen in hand job no doubt.:RpS_sneaky:

Good gear they used ,lasted well :RpS_mellow: ,must get on a coarse :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Osteoarthritis is my constant companion since my thirties, both knees are finished, I will end up with prosthetic knees in a couple to five years, plastering is tough on the bones, I do know how you feel, best to get light duties ,maintenance or such like, best of luck ..

Osteoarthritis is my constant companion since my thirties, both knees are finished, I will end up with prosthetic knees in a couple to five years, plastering is tough on the bones, I do know how you feel, best to get light duties ,maintenance or such like, best of luck ..

You got bad knee as well John? :RpS_lol:

45 years in the trade.

Am I the only one who noticed he started plastering at 12?!?! No wonder your bones are buggered, child labour is banned for a reason!!

For me, website works a treat, never listen to cold callers promising you a profit as they will never, ever work out to be what they say! Never really leaflet dropped, always leave about 5-10 business cards with customers for them to pass on and give incentives for them to pass my name on (10% off next job, win win really, more work from them and my name passed on!). No point saying this if you've been in the game for 45 years, but leave a good job and you will always be in work.

As for easing up the work for your bones and body, have a look at all the plastic stuff going on atm (speedskim, plastic trowels etc..) they make it a hell of a lot more easier on the body, no more chasing the mix drying times, piece of p1ss to flatten etc.. Get yourself down a gym, never too old to work out, and it will be beneficial to you to work out and build a stronger core, and muscles are there to support your bones so its kinda a no brainer.

You are a inspiration to the plastering trade, someone who has literally worked all their life in the trade should be proud of themselves, and as warrior said above me, perhaps teaching or assessing could be a decent future, 45 years is a LOT of experience so im sure there will be plenty of opportunities in this path?

Proud to post a message to a true veteran of the trade, i hope i get to meet others in real life! You and others deserve more kudos than anyone! Plastering is not the easiest on the body, and to last that long is a true achievement! I congratulate you sir, and i idolise your persistance.

(yes, i am a bit drunk, but still mean it all)

Am I the only one who noticed he started plastering at 12?!?! No wonder your bones are buggered, child labour is banned for a reason!!

For me, website works a treat, never listen to cold callers promising you a profit as they will never, ever work out to be what they say! Never really leaflet dropped, always leave about 5-10 business cards with customers for them to pass on and give incentives for them to pass my name on (10% off next job, win win really, more work from them and my name passed on!). No point saying this if you've been in the game for 45 years, but leave a good job and you will always be in work.

As for easing up the work for your bones and body, have a look at all the plastic stuff going on atm (speedskim, plastic trowels etc..) they make it a hell of a lot more easier on the body, no more chasing the mix drying times, piece of p1ss to flatten etc.. Get yourself down a gym, never too old to work out, and it will be beneficial to you to work out and build a stronger core, and muscles are there to support your bones so its kinda a no brainer.

You are a inspiration to the plastering trade, someone who has literally worked all their life in the trade should be proud of themselves, and as warrior said above me, perhaps teaching or assessing could be a decent future, 45 years is a LOT of experience so im sure there will be plenty of opportunities in this path?

Proud to post a message to a true veteran of the trade, i hope i get to meet others in real life! You and others deserve more kudos than anyone! Plastering is not the easiest on the body, and to last that long is a true achievement! I congratulate you sir, and i idolise your persistance.

Well said viva! A lot of sense spoken in there :RpS_thumbsup:

only true emotions come out when your intoxicated marra...........................:RpS_thumbsup:...................:RpS_unsure:.................:RpS_crying:

45 years in the trade.
Try flexiseq for the knees, its for sale in the uk now online ,for osteoarthriti

How do you know that asif? ............have you got bother with your knees?? you've never mentioned it................:-0

How do you know that asif? ............have you got bother with your knees?? you've never mentioned it................:-0
A man in the pub told me, he'd bore you about the knees, when he first said the knees were bad, I thought he said his niece...

only true emotions come out when your intoxicated marra...........................:RpS_thumbsup:...................:RpS_unsure:.................:RpS_crying:

Oh I don't know.................I've a tear in my eye as I write this :RpS_crying:

Good post though :RpS_thumbup:

hi mate sorry about the knee problem nothing worse try some of the free directory sites you can register with them for free

ive just recently registered with one company called the community trader for £100.00 per year its a trusted trader site.

the trusted trader thing, I find is what people want now

its great because so long as you have public liability and no ccjs or criminal convictions they will list you on there site and recommend you to their members.

its been great for me so far the work is flooding in the site is The Community Trader Find a Trusted Trader local builders, plumbers, plasterers, tilers, carpet fitters, and much more have a look let me know good luck with everything pal

We run this little service in our local town where the public can get quotations from local recommended traders with plasterers being one of them. The public love it and so do the businesses, so if you have a service like it local to you its a great way to get an instant response if run correctly and to promote yourself as trusted. Our site is www.medwayprofessionals.co.uk if you want to see more on what the service is about so you can find one local to you. We obviously have to generate leads for our plasterers and we swear by our website which was created by this company: www.getmeleads.co.uk getting a website and making sure it appears for people looking for plasterers in your area is a very great way to increase enquiries.

Can't say leafleting is great, local monthly reference books can be very good if they're distributed to a big enough reach - you kind of want 15,000+ per month really.

Hope you can find the right form of advertising for you, even if its making a build your own website and invest a little in adwords, google now and again do little vouchers so if you google adword vouchers you be sure to find some.

Remember it takes time, people must get used to seeing your business name. Never do anything over the phone with people if they pester you as its most likely a con, always do business with people local when it comes to advertising as if it doesn't work you have a local office to visit so they can get it working for you.

Wish you all the luck in the world with your marketing ventures and happy to assist anyone who has any questions on marketing as this is what we do for our local plasterers.

Status
Not open for further replies.