A guide to using stilts

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
@carobyn don't fall off is always good advice, not been on mine in years ,but take it slowly, start at lowest level near a wall,have a plan to dismount

Last edited by a moderator:
ok then if you do fall do not grab hold of any light fittings as they tend to just end up on the floor with you :RpS_thumbsup:

Walk around the kitchen in them and hold on to the kitchen cupboards, provided they are fixed well and the tiles aint too slippy, also if u have the opptunity, insulate a ceiling, (this helped me greatly), u measure them and have some1 to cut them for u and you fit them, if u get a little unsteady grab a joist

Lowest hight first,take short steps till u get used to them stu,and walk with your legs slightly wider apart than norm.
and if you do take a tumble mind and throw yer trowel:RpS_thumbup:

What about adjusting them, how do you know what they should be set at?

Measure the height of yourself and add 6-10 ish inches, once u have this measurement adjust your stilts till the foot plate is up to this measurement

They are pretty easy once you get brave enough to take your first steps. Before long you are walking without thinking about it. I did my first ceiling off them the other day, slow going at first, liking down almost every step till I thought sod it and went for it.

Oh..when you first get on them try to stand straight up..if you need to lean back or forward to balance then the for plates need moving and the leg brace twisting slightly.

Check the floor for nail heads or screws yourself before getting up on them, my only close shave in 15years was due to a screw head sticking up a few mm on a floor that the labourer said checked!! Wasn't him clawing for the wall.

Best to get someone adjust the springs for you while you are on them. You want them so you are balanced or leaning forwards ever so slightly.
Definitely not backwards.:RpS_thumbup:

to add to 4x4's post if it feels like legs are being pulled in or pushed out at knee, adjust leg brace in/out to foot plate. also make sure leg brace is just at top of you calf

stomp rather than walking normally ,if you stand on stuff that's dropped you'll do the splits , take your time and use them

Hope you bought DURA-STILTS...and if you did then take a look at the instruction sheets here;

http://www.carobyn.co.uk/_uploads/product_manual/ds_in-manual_en.pdf

- which you can save, print out, and keep as part of your method statement (always handy if called to site). Some of the adjustments may be different depending on which manufacture yours are - the geometry is v. important in getting properly comfortable, and not all 'copies' get this right.

It's very much like riding a bicycle first time out - just relax and it should be straight forward, walking at normal speed etc.

practise in a hallway so you can reach the wall either side of you,, you will be going up and down stairs in no time,, get yourself a tall stand and dont forget to duck when going through doorways,,lol

Ah, that's maybe why he sold them on...the SW2's are difficult to walk on due to the lack of 'parallelogram action' keeping your foot parallel to the floor - they only pivot forwards and then back to upright, holding your ankle rigid. A rigid ankle is not a comfy way to walk, let alone work, and more taxing on you. Plus they are upwards of 1.5Kg heavier per leg, so you get a good work out during the day.

Just to add to a few posts already memtioned.. make sure the leg brace is at the top of your calf.. will stabilise u more.. spring setting wise I compress the spring when extending stilts on high ceilings to minimise the flex in them making them more sturdy higher up.. myself I am 6ft 4 so dont really have to go full height that often..!! You will get use to them and find your own settings to suit u.

Just to add to a few posts already memtioned.. make sure the leg brace is at the top of your calf.. will stabilise u more.. spring setting wise I compress the spring when extending stilts on high ceilings to minimise the flex in them making them more sturdy higher up.. myself I am 6ft 4 so dont really have to go full height that often..!! You will get use to them and find your own settings to suit u.

Couldnt agree more with james about the MT2.0's .... main points being the calf brace being in the right spot and also tightening up the springs ... you'll know if the springs are wrong as you'll be bowing over head first when there loose

Same height as james so no often I use them on full extension .... only other tip ould maybe when your doing the catch up on the extension bit .. if its stiff pull the foot plate and it clicks a tiny bit making the catch fold over easy ... seen a few ham fisted people snap em

First day on the stilts today and seemed to get on alright. The ceiling was quite high and I was a bit apprehensive of raising them on first job but found the over stretching put you off balance quite a bit. Raised them up and they were fine. A few questions though.
1 how the feck do you get on and off them?? I reckon I'd find it easier mounting a fat bird after 15 Stella and a bottle of vodka than getting on these things. The job I'm on I'm doing living room and hall and there was a high window in the hall I could sit on but if that wasn't there what do you do?
2 when your strapping them on which straps do you do up first?
3 do you just hose them down when finished to clean?

ta

Stu, Lean against a wall. Strap your foot into one. Lean on the wall and stand up onto that foot and place your foot in to the other strap. Or stand on a hop up or easiest of all sit on a windowsill

It becomes second nature. For now stand on a hop up so if you lose your balance with one foot in you can just stand back on the hopup.

Cheers bud, I'll give it a bash tomorrow. Couldn't find my spot board as I've no used it in years so just put stilts on after laying in second coat to finish. Is it worth getting the higher spot board or is the normal one ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.