A Belfast Builder Jailed For Tax Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Belfast builder has been jailed for tax fraud after he was investigated by the HM Revenue and Customs.

http://www.plasterersnews.com/a-belfast-builder-jailed-for-tax-fraud/

HMRC_Self_Assessment_tax_return-1024x768.jpg

The tax man is been a kunt these days ,after everyone ,fining lots of people for small oversights ,they only publish the big stories ,not the ones where they fine £400 for been one week late on £500 , tax is supposed to be fair but it's far from been fair and its fairness is subjective,the treasury is hungry for money ...

it will depend

it depends if he has any assets in his name. no one can chase good money after bad money.

Until the day he dies he will owe, it's possible that unless he does pay he could end up with a longer stretch and still owe the money

Until the day he dies he will owe, it's possible that unless he does pay he could end up with a longer stretch and still owe the money

debts are uncollectable after 7 years. he could have extra time added to his sentence if they can get a court order against him, that will only stand up if they can prove that he has hidden assets.
it costs about £400 per week to hold someone in prison and all he will be doing is watching day time tv which in its self is a punishment!

debts are uncollectable after 7 years. he could have extra time added to his sentence if they can get a court order against him, that will only stand up if they can prove that he has hidden assets.
it costs about £400 per week to hold someone in prison and all he will be doing is watching day time tv which in its self is a punishment!

It's only 7 years if there is no contact in that time. The fella is an absolute dick and deserves all he gets

There cracking down on trades these days, Hmrc will investigate anyone regardless of turnover, I wouldn't do a cash job under any circumstances these days, if you do you deserve all the hassle if you ever get rumbled.

Why do people always assume a cash job isn't declared? As long as it's declared what's the problem?
Look at shops, cafes, market traders, burger vans, laundrettes, hairdressers, pubs, car washes, mechanics, tyre fitters etc etc..... they all deal in cash, but no one ever says anything about them, it's always tradesmen they pick on!
Try buying a pint with a cheque or a bank transfer lol :rolleyes:

the tax office do their sums all day long. every year a number of traders will have an investigation. an investigation can last years .if you are ever under investigation you can forget about getting a tax rebate on your 20% stoppages.

Why do people always assume a cash job isn't declared? As long as it's declared what's the problem?
Look at shops, cafes, market traders, burger vans, laundrettes, hairdressers, pubs, car washes, mechanics, tyre fitters etc etc..... they all deal in cash, but no one ever says anything about them, it's always tradesmen they pick on!
Try buying a pint with a cheque or a bank transfer lol :rolleyes:

yep, i meant cash jobs as in to avoid the vat
but your right its always tradesman that get looked into.

the tax office do their sums all day long. every year a number of traders will have an investigation. an investigation can last years .if you are ever under investigation you can forget about getting a tax rebate on your 20% stoppages.

its happening to a pal of mine at the moment, a roofer says hes done nothing wrong and I believe him he runs it straight, but someone has grassed him in, must have made an enemy somewhere.

I was investigated years ago, it wasn't a full on investigation, but still that's why I pay a tax investigation fee protection to my accountant :)

yep, i meant cash jobs as in to avoid the vat
but your right its always tradesman that get looked into.

Yeah I know mate, your post reminded me of something in the news a few years back saying don't pay tradesmen in cash if you do they are Cowboys, or something similar.

its happening to a pal of mine at the moment, a roofer says hes done nothing wrong and I believe him he runs it straight, but someone has grassed him in, must have made an enemy somewhere.

the tax office do know what a roofer or any one else earns. they deal with every trade.
each trade has a lower level and a top level of earnings. if anyone gives a return below or above that level it will ring alarm bells and start an investigation.
i remember when i purchased a car for £70,000 i got a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.