6 week intensive course??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisbon67

ive asked this b4 but would appreciate ome more views,a friend did the 6 week intensive plastering course and is making good money i was thinking about doing 6 week intensive plastering course then 1 week tileing course as i would like to try and work for myself,is this poss with these courses? and is there work out there ? cheers

be a labourer for a plasterer then learn it that way, after a six week course i wouldnt let someone in my house to do the work. you wont learn everything you need to after 6 weeks.

i reckon irrespective of what he does now theres gonna be plasterers looking into other things same way.. recession and all that...
i wouldnt bother mate, stick to what youre good at and hang in there, try different avenues of the same route so to speak... it'll get better....
theres work about but youll do well to get it at decent money. good spreads are having to work theyre nuts off for a wage, youre gonna look silly fresh off youre 6 week course, and the domestic side isnt much better though that does have a tendency to depend on where you are, out in the stix you might stick a bit of a chance cos youll get away with it a bit easier...

Your freind may have been lucky up till now. I don't think you'll learn much from tiling in 5 days, that you can't learn from trial and error. Done a few months labouring for a tiling firm ten years ago, learn't a bit, but not realy enough to make a living. It may not seem like much, but there's quite a bit to learn from tileing

a 6 week course will cost a considerable amount of money i would guess £3 /4 thousand ?????????.then you gotta get a van and all the plastering tools mixer ladders scaffold epuiptment etc
.Then you gotta pay for advertising and websites printed lettheads business cards etc,youl then need public liability insurance and a waste disposal license.
Even if you do this on the cheap £10,000 wont be enough to get you all the equiptment and advertising your gonna realistically need to make a decent livning.
I personally know people with many years experience in the game that have very little work and its been like this for the last few years.
look how many people on this site are struggling for work,this bull s**t storys about plasterers earning £1000+ week every week are just that storys.
Realisticaly if all you can do is plaster with little experience and and medium to ok finnish at a slow speed.Domestic is your only avenue and that my son is a cut throat bsuiness that a 6 week course wont prefer you for and thats a fact!!!!!
Every day on domestic plastering .......situations arise and you wont know the answers,sometimes i dont know the answers and i been plastering for 22 years .You will need a good knowledge of building regs and other trades also to compete on domestic.

Personally if i had a spare £15000 which is what i belive youll need to kick it off and giver ur self a chance id take my kids to disney land and stcik to my day job.
Not wanting to put you off plastering as its fed my family for years and can be lucrative,but now is not the time really to start a new business in construction pal in my opinion.

Hi Mate
So its a six wk course 5 days a week you should come out OK at that.
I think its what level you are going to come into plaster trade at at , you should be ok with reskims going at your own pace that an sure, site work I would worry for you unless your with lads who no the score on site.

I did a 6 week course which Just finished yesterday, now i have
my 9 day exam at the end of the month.

I am working in sales and getting privates all the time...
I did an 18 metre ceiling last week and my mate with 30 years exp
looked at it and said was a nice job considering...

Next week I have to plaster a garage as its been dot and dabbed as
we speak.. (its only single skin wall, so i expect a lot of condensation after
I skim it, I told the guy this, he said - ah just skim it) ...........................

You see, cowboys...

your 6 week course will give you unbelieveable theory
knowledge, this is your foundation, at least your wont be a chancer like
most of the foreign plasterers who just chance their arm at it and seem to be making
a lot of money... i know i see it everyday as i work for a builders merchants

you can learn as much as you like - but it's down to practise, day in day out. Build your stamina and hone your physical dexterity. That takes time.

Before you do the course, at least hang out with a plasterer and do some labouring. Then your get an idea of what it's like. If it was me again, I'd have a look at other trades that aint that demanding too ;)

I am working in sales and getting privates all the time...
I did an 18 metre ceiling last week and my mate with 30 years exp
looked at it and said was a nice job considering...

I love that, what is it considering, that you have only been doing it for a few weeks or what.
Put it thus way go into someones house and plaster it for them but just be warned they want pay if its sh!t and bad word travels quicker than good

Status
Not open for further replies.