2014 Price Increase???

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Right then chaps!

Obviously not specifics. Was just wondering who's intending on increasing there rates this year? Personally had a busy year last year but on lower rates in general than previous years.

Now that it seems that it wasn't just a good run and that everyone seems to be getting busier I've decided im going to slowly start to increase my rates on each job this year as got a couple of months in front of me already and happy to start losing a few jobs and not be booked up for as far in front to achieve less breathing space before running out of work to hopefully achieve more profit.

So basically just curious to honest feed back on who's intending also increase there rates this year?

Hop this thread doesn't offend anyone.

Zombie

300th post!!!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

Im not putting rates up but i am making a point in not giving any of my customers a cheaper rate just because they promise loads more work, one rate straight across the board.

My main source of work ( a builder and good friend) died in November. So for me its kind of back to the drawing board and for the first time ever have placed a couple of adverts out there as being complacent catches you out!? I have other contacts etc but my builder mate was great and great jobs too. As for my rates? Am sticking to it and like you @yeoplast I'm not doing discounts? Am just going to stick to my guns and see what happens? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sticking with same rates,, unless things go mental ,, not really chasing the money so much now, rather have a nice steady year

My main source of work ( a builder and good friend) died in November. So for me its kind of back to the drawing board and for the first time ever have placed a couple of adverts out there as being complacent catches you out!? I have other contacts etc but my builder mate was great and great jobs too. As for my rates? Am sticking to it and like you @yeoplast I'm not doing discounts? Am just going to stick to my guns and see what happens? :)

Sorry to hear about your friend mate. Ive had similar experience with regards to having all my eggs in 1 basket so to speak and it can be a massive reality check.

Don't know if this is underhand or not but have you considered ringing around your local builders and just letting them know that due to the sad loss of your builder friend if they need a hand at short notice to consider yourself.

They will have probably been let down by all sort of chancers in the past and if for any reason there current main guy isn't available they could call you if you explain that you cover all aspects and have worked along side a good reputable builder for many years it will be a massive feather in your bow!

If its anything like round my way they will of had allsorts of clowns turn up and not know where to start on a job or organise/conduct them self.

Another massive big tip mate is to have a little drive round pub car parks on Friday teatime bar/sat afternoon and see if you notice a pattern of regular builders vans/trades and pop in for a half in a work tea shirt etc .

Its amazing how in a relaxed casual way you can make potential good contacts!

All the best for 2014 mate!

zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your friend mate. Ive had similar experience with regards to having all my eggs in 1 basket so to speak and it can be a massive reality check.

Don't know if this is underhand or not but have you considered ringing around your local builders and just letting them know that due to the sad loss of your builder friend if they need a hand at short notice to consider yourself

They will have probably been let down by all sort of chancers in the past and if for any reason there current main guy isn't available they could call you if you explain that you cover all aspects and have worked along side a good reputable builder for many years it will be a massive feather in your bow!

If its anything like round my way they will of had allsorts of clowns turn up and not know where to start on a job or organise/conduct them self.

Another massive big tip mate is to have a little drive round pub car parks on Friday teatime bar/sat afternoon and see if you notice a pattern of regular builders vans/trades and pop in for a half in a work tea shirt etc .

just read that back mate that sounded right patronising...sorry mate!

just read that back mate that sounded right patronising...sorry mate!
it sounds like your are just trying to help and offer useful advise zombie, sure marshy will see it that way as well, hes a top gezzer

Sorry about your mate.
I too have a few very good freinds in the biulding trade and after reading what happened to you it makes me kind of realize how much i accutuly depend on them for work, i think its good to advertize every now and then(you can always do with more customers) best of luck for this year.

Don't know if this is underhand or not but have you considered ringing around your local builders and just letting them know that due to the sad loss of your builder friend if they need a hand at short notice to consider yourself.

Also sounds a good excuse for a pi*s up :RpS_thumbup:

I don't really have a rate coz every job is different, I have ten different day rates depending what I'm doing and how much so gonna stay the same, gonna keep giving the dickheads who are looking for the cheapest the shock of their lives and the window shoppers the shock of their lives and try and be the dearest plasterer in town :)

Just a word of warning lads, I increased my prices around late October last year.

I just started looking at the jobs I was doing and thought it was a little cheap (I would either have to slow down a bit or charge a little extra) and decided I wanted a bit more for a jobs, I mean I have good standards, use quality tools and have a decent little set up, insured, qualified and I slice 20% off all my wages for the taxman.

it backfired slightly, it might have been just the run up to Xmas, but I didn't win 50% of the jobs I had priced, which if you have drove across town at 7pm to price, is soul destroying and costs you money.

it has been a hard December, January booked up quickly, but looking back maybe I should have kept my prices down slightly.

a lot of handymen and maintenance guys are taking the internal skimming work, people will have to compete with these, and will probably lose.

boarding, skimming even re-skims is fast becoming as easy as putting a shelf up, if you are desperate to put your price up do it only on the 'proper' work like floating, rendering.

Things are still very, very tough, don't believe the news when they say the economy has recovered, it hasn't, people are still skint.

Well said mac , most handymen it would take them at least a 1/3 more time to do a job than a plasterer , so work fast enough and make the handymans 2 days in 1 day , jobs a goodun and we will all be millionaires this time next year laughin at this thread ......... Haha

when people get 3 or more prices for a job whether it be plastering or any other trade when you hear what the prices are ,more often than not theres not a lot of difference between the prices, there for i would be a bit worried about putting prices up by much,, i will be leaving mine as they are

U would be surprised leebo , quite alot of difference in some aswell ..... Fair enough though a small room there is only so much allowance in your price for profit etc

Gulp!!!.....I wish id not asked now!!! lol

But seriously always nice to have different opinions for a balanced view!!!

The general opinion then seems to be keep the continuity of work going over the risk of becoming uncompetitive.

I guess my main plus is that I don't advertise so in more occasions than not its repeat/referral.

Will give some honest feedback later in year on outcome but definitely going to attempt 20% as a starting point!

Thanks chaps

Zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

I would start at 10% Zombie, and go from there :RpS_thumbup:

probably a good call that mate!

Maybe 10% for first quarter with a view to adding another 10% beginning of 2nd quarter whens generally a busy time of the year anyway!

Zombie:RpS_thumbup:

Currently into the last half of a 3 year phase so no planned increases on site this year :RpS_angry:, that said the rates are pretty good anyway, and to have 18months of work in front is a major plus:RpS_thumbup:.
I have upped my private rates, but only because im not bothered if i get them or not, and i still seem to be picking plenty of these jobs up.

Double your rates, starting from now.
From what I have seen on here most of you hate money.

Depends what u charge in the first place really to up rates or not....
...personally were so goddamm cheap we have customers telling us we shud up our price...

;);)

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.