2 coats from same mix

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drak

When you guys do a small wall on its own, say 6 metres. Is it ok to water down the same mix
used for the 1st coat and use that wetter mix for 2nd coat? Will it weaken the finish by adding
water.

Just curious before I try it.

NOOOO!! dont. nein! niet!
if you really wanna save time and its a boarded wall just get the first coat on quick and nicely level and top it from the same mix but DO NOT add any water to it...
once its mixed it starts to set and all youll do is turn it into quick drying fat and assuming you can even keep up with it it'll look a right c**t..

Cheers bigsegs, the wall is a reskim anyway will give it a go on your advice with a water bottle
to hand. ;)

if its a reskim mate id knock up again for the topping. dunno the circumstances but if its anything other than fresh board and you want it bang on, for the sake of a decent finish its worth the extra imo...
I'd just look at it as a p'ss easy set, take the paper...
could mean the difference between a recomendation or not..
thing is, dont top it too quick or you might as well just throw one thick coat on..
does depend on the wall though, if its near enough to start youll prolly get away with it but you need to be pretty good to get a decent finish (no orange peel, no tiger stripes) in one coat...(which topping with the same mix is)..
ive just done a fresh board ceiling, 6x3m garage conversion so i could reach it off the floor... 3 hours as opposed to 2..
could have put one coat on but i gave it two, perfect finish, blokes a small builder and there'll be more where that came from..

just knock up a half bucket for first mix , making sure you knock up enough though
then nock up a quarter bucket for lay down coat .....JOB DONE

if its only 6 sq them just over half a batch will do it 1st an 2nd coat u shud have ur 1st coat on in less than 5 mins loads of time to read the sport av a brew scratch ur ass abit then should only need 2 good board full to 2nd coat nice easy less than 2hr set if u dont pva the life out of the wall

if you want it to go off quicker so you can get youre second coat on you can add dirty water, warm water, cement , piss ;D or mix it twice as long as usual

I 2 coat all the time if the set is 20m2 or under and not many people can fault my work but i do lay fast and flat then flatten off with big spat then lay again quick its all done in under 30 seconds lol.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.