1st coat dried like lightning on me..

Ljw991

Not my first wall. By far
But it is the first time I've had to hit panic stations

Doing a small wall.with a few windows in, before I could get the first coat on I could feel the mix reeeeeally firm up.

Struggled like hell to get the whole wall coated
And managed to flatten it in
Panic over.

No.

Second mix was handed to me... as pure liquid!
So I've had to leave this wall go. Flat. But rough!

Can I bang on two coats of pva today? Or should I let this dry overnight?

Gutted to be honest.
Cheers all.

So you can have a small wall on in a few minutes! If gears stiffening up in that time it's clearly out of date or bad batch or stored in damp condition maybe!

Genuinely between me starting the wall and the gear going to playdough was 10 mins or so.. couldn't believe it!

Was bg multi. New bag. Think its from b&q.

Very strange to have a lab for a small wall , especially as incapable of mixing a bucket of finish , which you don't remix but lay on ,,,,,, sorry mate , are you a plumber

Best to put a cup full of pva in mix , one coat and trowel up . And use a sponge float, you might find that helpfull.

So you can have a small wall on in a few minutes! If gears stiffening up in that time it's clearly out of date or bad batch or stored in damp condition maybe!
I skimmed a 2bagger porch today, and the bags were out of date by 2months. I find out of date bags hangs like fook,and I’m chasing it round the hawk gets wetter the more u use it strange lol

I skimmed a 2bagger porch today, and the bags were out of date by 2months. I find out of date bags hangs like fook,and I’m chasing it round the hawk gets wetter the more u use it strange lol
Seems to be the case nowadays , bit like it's already reacted pre mix and would expect to produce a weaker structure

Were the same as of board finish out of date by 3 weeks but it was sound so what are the dates for if its ok?

Seems to be the case nowadays , bit like it's already reacted pre mix and would expect to produce a weaker structure
Back when I first started/learning 18years ago: if u had out of date bags it would fire off in the bucket within a couple scoops of using it. Completely opposite now. A pal did say a while back that thistle back in the day had more gypsum in it compared to today fucks knows how much that’s true lol

Back when I first started/learning 18years ago: if u had out of date bags it would fire off in the bucket within a couple scoops of using it. Completely opposite now. A pal did say a while back that thistle back in the day had more gypsum in it compared to today fucks knows how much that’s true lol
Haha fuk it we won't extra time now an we get it for a quid a bag

Think it's pure gypsum just with regarding agents which still behave with a quick set if bag is stored well and left to go way past use by date , keep some in a dry barn . With the no / slow set I'm convinced it's bad storage but can understand people thinking it recycled gypsum with additional chemicals to re-react that are not working
Always buy from wickes , never had a bad bag from them , quick turnaround , good storage whereas other merchants shuffle it around their depot's so use by date irrelevant if it's sat on back of lorry and outside yard a few times

Bag was in date and bucket was clean, wall was prepped well and pvad up as usual.. so quite why the gear went in minutes I don't know..

Grabbed a few new bags from.wickes tonight as have a few other walls to get on with , but will re do that wall in question.

As for what trade I am. Sorry to say, I am the enemy...I'm a spark.

Still in the
'spend too long fannying about, worrying about perfection immediately rather than having faith ,getting it on and letting it pick up' phase with plastering.

Bag was in date and bucket was clean, wall was prepped well and pvad up as usual.. so quite why the gear went in minutes I don't know..

Grabbed a few new bags from.wickes tonight as have a few other walls to get on with , but will re do that wall in question.

Still in the
'spend too long fannying about, worrying about perfection immediately rather than having faith ,getting it on and letting it pick up' phase with plastering.
Hope you clean your boxes out

One of my first jobs on my own was a chimney breast. Customer fetched gear out garage . Never checked date . Put a stroke on went back to bucket couldnt get f**k**g bucket trowel out

And bonding is the opposite.

One of my first jobs on my own was a chimney breast. Customer fetched gear out garage . Never checked date . Put a stroke on went back to bucket couldnt get f**k**g bucket trowel out
No surprise, Yorkshire special mate. He probably found it in a ditch somewhere.

Still in the
I’m “having a go” at a full re-wire on a 3 bed property at the weekend mate.
Any tips please!

Use to have a crazy reaction in the bucket out of date multi would even starting baking getting really hot lol

Use to have a crazy reaction in the bucket out of date multi would even starting baking getting really hot lol
Did a room . Kid had kept gear from when we did bar over a year ago and put it with new bags . Put a m2 on and relised . Told lad to get that out bucket asap. Just got ut out before it had set.

IMG_20210311_095805539.jpg

What do you recon , foam boards first , fix boxes after lol

I’m “having a go” at a full re-wire on a 3 bed property at the weekend mate.
Any tips please!
Stick to safe zones..
Label everything..
Use a cable drum reel..

Stick a separate 4mm radial in for the kitchen power..
10mm in for hob/cooker

Go for neutrals at switches rather than fittings
Allows for smart home systems later on..

Don't twist earths

Simple stuff.

Enough there for ya? Cocky c**t

Still in the
so let me get this right, you are walking about with a handboard and a trowel in your hand, and yet i have yet to see or meet a sparky who can use a sweeping brush

I had a hawk and trowel in my hands. :inocente:

I'm not averse to a bit of sweeping up.
But thats a labours job is it not haha

I had a hawk and trowel in my hands. :inocente:

I'm not averse to a bit of sweeping up.
But thats a labours job is it not haha
you must be one of our southern freinds ljw, where are you based, seen a sparky hold a sweeping brush once , once being the operative word, he was using it as a saw and a hammer, seen 2 sparkies standing there gobsmacked as the labourer showed them how to work it, amazed they were, seen a sparkie sobbing in the corner , he was holding a brush but it was upside down he was so frustrated he could not work out where the brush end went,