0ne coat.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why is it okay to do one coat if your applying by machine but not if your hand applying?

merlin said:
why is it okay to do one coat if your applying by machine but not if your hand applying?

dont ask me mate but it is. thats my understanding anyway.

No excuse one coating in my opinion doesnt take long or much gear for the second coat even in a cupboard.... if people want something skimmed it has to be worth a propper job.

Cant answer the machine question though

Danny

Pinch the odd cupboard wall, it's no harm and if the gear would be thrown away your helping the environment.

cant see the problem myself , if its a decent finish doesnt matter whether its had one coat or four :eek:

I have always applied two coats and dont think I could get as good a finish with just 1 coat.

If it can be done and the finish is the same then surely there isnt a problem?

Are there any major differnces between 2 mm and 3mm of skim?

One coat:
put it on a lot thicker than normal,
flatten off,
then leave a while,
couple of trowels job done ;)

And the same finish & thickness can be achieved as 2 coats!

Not my preferred method but from time to time this comes in handy if you can do it ;)

JohnnyChrist said:
One coat is pointless. The finish isn't as good as two coat, and it takes roughly the same time,but with poorer results.

i allways find that one coat plasterers are s**t and just f**k**g lazy just do it the way its surpose to b done ;D ;D ;D

Over the years I've done loads of insurance work for firms & a lot of jobs were over board skim & re-artex.
So if it wasn't taped & jointed before artex it had one coat of skim!
No point 2 coating if it's gonna be artexed or even re papered with a blown vinyl ;D

Beau & johnny Christ your only slagging off one coat because you simply
can't do it.
Have you ever worked on site?
A bloke I worked with on site in the past would lay a coat on the tapes then one thick coat all over & his one coat was a better quality finish than the 2 coaters next door ;)

Don't get me wrong I always 2 coat but like I said if you can do it it'll come in handy now & again ;)

Nisus said:
Over the years I've done loads of insurance work for firms & a lot of jobs were over board skim & re-artex.
No point 2 coating if it's gonna be artexed or even re papered with a blown vinyl ;D

can't do it.
A bloke I worked with on site in the past would lay a coat on the tapes then one thick coat all over & his one coat was a better quality finish than the 2 coaters next door ;)

Don't get me wrong I always 2 coat but like I said if you can do it it'll come in handy now & again ;)

worked on loads of sites mate its easy work ;D all the plasterers ive seen do one coat it allways looks crap

beau said:
Nisus said:

can't do it.

worked on loads of sites mate its easy work ;D all the plasterers ive seen do one coat it allways looks crap

Fair enough mate but i'm not crap! Honest ;D

When Multi first came out we were told by BG it was a one coat application so I did a couple of full houses using this method and got just as good a finish as using two coats but found there was no time saving as I had to take my time to get one coat on to a decent thickness and keep it tidy enough to make trowelling up OK so I went back to using two coats. This was on a mixture of plasterboard and S&C. I'll still whack on the odd cupboard ceiling or wall if I've got a bit of gear left at the end of putting a hit on though.

its not that hard to make a good job with one coat if the boardings neat! if i had to skim on housing sites now for £1.80 to £2.00 m2 i be deffinatley one coating ;D

Nisus said:

can't do it.

Ok I agree its handy if you have a little gear left at the end of a guage and its a small area such as a return or the like but doing one coat for all plastering is just pointless I would say. Just my opinion

merlin said:
its not that hard to make a good job with one coat if the boardings neat! if i had to skim on housing sites now for £1.80 to £2.00 m2 i be deffinatley one coating ;D
fcucking too right

Used it around a couple of limestone fire places were they had been installed before making good was done. So being white, less likely to stain this pain in the arse natural stone then using say bonding and finish

Hi All

nothing wrong with one coat i think all spreads hav done it at one time wether thay ment to or not ;) dont do it on domestic work not worth the call back if u now what i mean but on site when boarding is good once over tapes to bed them in nice then one thick coat job done and am no cowboy either just before some says it :D :D

i did a bathroom that was gonna be tiled over, all on boards the other day in one coat.
it turned out fine no noticable difference to doing two coats really.
Lay it on thick and square it up nice and wait for it to pull in.
Wouldnt say it saves a lot of time other than mixing time as it will still take 1.5 hrs to go of either way 1 or 2 coats.
Remember its one thick coat.
Personally i wouldnt do it everyday.

Thats why i did it on that occasion but have donme it many times,when the walls have allowed it.
Ideal over board if boarded correctly like said earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.