£5m2 on domestics inc mats

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

i just been chatting to a guy and this is what he charges at the mo, sounds cheap to me but he says its going rate.
i have seen somewhere on here some1 say they charge £5 m2 on site skim to board inc mats that sounds about right but not on domestics????????????? :-\

I charge £7.00 per m2 inc for skimming, however I am finding that other spreads often under cut me by as much as 40% what there work is like I don't know.

I think 20m2 skimming a day is a fair wack on domestics time you move furniture, sheet up unibond, plaster and then clean up. The client gets a first class job we get a fair days pay.

What do other members think?

Capital spread said:
I charge £7.00 per m2 inc for skimming, however I am finding that other spreads often under cut me by as much as 40% what there work is like I don't know.

I think 20m2 skimming a day is a fair wack on domestics time you move furniture, sheet up unibond, plaster and then clean up. The client gets a first class job we get a fair days pay.
i charge £10.00 per m2,more if ive got to move stuff ill charge more however i do tell them the room needs to be emptied before i start work
What do other members think?

do you not just charge a standard day rate of £120-£150 for skimming/patch & skim, i mean if want my bathroom ceiling skimming would you really do it £28 inc mats, lets just say its 2X2 metres

mac_plastering said:
do you not just charge a standard day rate of £120-£150 for skimming/patch & skim, i mean if want my bathroom ceiling skimming would you really do it £28 inc mats, lets just say its 2X2 metres
ive got a minimum charge of £100.00 or the job wouldnt be worth it

pricing by the metre dont work on domestic.

I just charge day rate and do what I feel comfortable doing a day, which ranges on how I feel at the time, just work out how long I wanna take on the job and go from there, aim for minimum of £150 a day + materials, struggle to get £200 in the current climate.

Freerider_2009 said:
pricing by the metre dont work on domestic.

I just charge day rate and do what I feel comfortable doing a day, which ranges on how I feel at the time, just work out how long I wanna take on the job and go from there, aim for minimum of £150 a day + materials, struggle to get £200 in the current climate.

the same as me mate, didn't thinks things were that bad (£5m2), i have never priced a domestic on m2.
i can understand doing it at £7,8,9 you might make a half decent whack, f u c k i n g £5 i dont know whether to laugh or cry

thing is, even at £10 a metre you dont half have to lay a lot on EVERY day to make money.. and the fact is, you aitn gonna find enough domestic work to warrant it due to a lot of our work being small ceiling skims (bathroom, kitchen etc/)

at the end of the day, you can bet ya life on site they charge 10-15quid a metre, but only pay the spread 3-4quid, so why would ya price work at 5quid domestic, when even the big site bosses dont go in that cheap, its f**k**g ludicrous if you ask me! :)

i have just priced up my living room at 5m2 to get the bigger picture its 4x4 with a breast ;) (chimney) and a bay window and it comes out at about £260 inc mats which are -
7 bags of multi £4 x 7 = £28
pva £10
6 beads £6
total £44 so you would take home £216 at best if thats right

worth it????

Freerider_2009 said:
thing is, even at £10 a metre you dont half have to lay a lot on EVERY day to make money.. and the fact is, you aitn gonna find enough domestic work to warrant it due to a lot of our work being small ceiling skims (bathroom, kitchen etc/)

at the end of the day, you can bet ya life on site they charge 10-15quid a metre, but only pay the spread 3-4quid, so why would ya price work at 5quid domestic, when even the big site bosses dont go in that cheap, its (french word)ing ludicrous if you ask me! :)

I don't think they charge that on site, i would say £5-£6 per m2 on commercial proberly less in this climate.

And evan less again on house bashing, as that is so competitive.

£5 a meter yeah on a domestic if its 3/4bed and ive just reboarded it walls and ceilings at £12 a meter no worries 8) but only a desparado would think of doing over artex etc for £5 meter

i price per day plus mats on domestic, not worth pricing per meter as it doesn't take into account laying dust sheets, cleaning up etc.

why bother with m2 price on domestic? i hear one builder in the town will not pay more than £90 a day now for a plasterer as things are tight? he asked how much i want and when i said £220 with my lab . well you no th rest! glad i gt m own work! mind you would b nic 2 wor 4 someone else all work lined up no stress

I only do work now for perhaps 2-3 builders so most of our work is domestic, for example today we did a 3.7x3.7 bedroom ceiling scrape poly tiles off, bag up waste. Plasterboard ceiling 9 boards and skim clear up and hoover £ 360.00 which I don't think is too bad.
But a lot of builders are now struggling around our way, Watford so I'm lucky to have a bit of domestic work. :)

Most of my work is all private and i charge £13 ceilings £11 on walls for skimming this has been my busiest year for 3 years ,hardly been idle at all ,i always charge by m2 .
If you are time served good at your job you will get work ,If you are one coater with your fished tailed beads then you will get found out 5m2? f**k that!

i price by the set within reason.... whatever i can put on in one set without killin myself..
2 sets a day, second one on the walls for 2 oclock latest, all prep included...
charge em extra for any hardwalling holes or boarding up or gybond etc etc...
rads off etc...
how people can just go 'well i charge £x per metre' over the phone on domestic is beyond me..
youd need a different rate for every set size and background imaginable...
skimming board is skimming board, thats why newbuild pays metre rates... plus the fact that it allows the builders to screw the tradesmen over things like reveals, windows margins etc...

last board and skim cieling i did was on a water damaged council house i charged £25.00 per m2 re-board and skim 15 m2 total £375.00 it took 13 boards @ £2.50 each = £32.50 2 x multi = £10.00 £4.00 scrim and nails total £46.50 leaving £328.50 less tax @20% leaves £262.00 £60 for my labourer 4 hours leaves £202.00 for me which is reasonable i think??? it was an insurance job and some jokers were pricing the job at £1.200.00

Always treble the price for insurance and recommend a mate of urs to give the 2nd 'quote' ;D
Insurance job on a council house ??? Can they get buildings insurance on something they dont
own/have a mortgage on :eek: :eek: :eek:

Im With Irish on this one,some insurance compaines make yu wait 2 months before payment and mess you around,im multi trade and do the complete job i.e plastering,painting,tiling kitchens bathroms etc and to wait 20 30 even 60 days or more for you money you outlayed a lot of your own cash is not a good thing in this climate.
What also you goytta remeber with insurance work is if you even leave a small chip or damage or dont do as good a job as the client expects you wont get paid unless you go down the court route,insurance wont pay until customer is happy 100% (most insurance compainies)!!!!
Reboard and skim a water damaged ceiling 4x4 domestic and repaint the celing walls the lot £700
Same job insurance £1500 for the risks and outlay you make /take.

Way it is mate.
Ive been called into to redo 4 ceiling jobs so far this year from insurance companies where the standard was poor from other plasterers.
1 of them was fine to me.2 of them were pretty awfull,one of them ceilings i had on the deck in under 5 minutes complete as it had been nailed on with 1 foot spacing with un stagered joints,and the final polished plaster finnish looked worse than my first coat.
Hit insurance companies beleive me.it not worth the hassle else.
i dont even quote for insurance work nowdays unless im a bit slack as its not worth the hassle.
Filling in forms,risk assemants,asbestos tests.making endlkess phone calls chasing your money.
If you do insurance work than everything has to be to the book!!!!!

3.50 - 4.00 supply an skim over board is good and the work should be nothing less than top notch. thing is you want a decent run of work and plenty to go at for this money (like 5 flats or houses or more). on a domestic that aint the case due to size prep etc, better price by the day and wap the mats on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.