£500 for a 2 bed house re-skim......yes please

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

had another joker today, 2 bed semi house in a right mess. upstairs walls were straw bonded together with a lime coloured backing then skimmed.
not seen that before...
anyway, this guy wants house re-skim 2 beds, bathroom, landing, stairs, hallway, liv room, dining room & kitchen.
really bad condition cracks everywhere, plaster fallin off back to brick.
the ceillings are all ok though.

also wants me to box a few pips in maybe 5-6, and also tile splash back around sink, cooker and bath.
which again is no problem.

another plasterer turns up which is happening more and more these days and it really fooks me off, so i am talking to him in kitchen while the other plas looks upstairs he says "we was lookin at around £500.00" so i say "what for the lot" "yeah" he replies.

i give him some cards and say my goodbye's to him his wife and the other plasterer.
he rings me on my way home to ask me about tiling the bathroom.
i tell him i wont touch the job for less than £2500
i also tell him that no plasterer in their right mind would do that for £500.

sorry to go on but this is really starting to piss me off, having ppl waste my time. the other week it was an asian guy trying for more or less the same.
do these people know anything about...well anything.

rant over.

ps if the guy rings back which i doubt i will let u know whats said.

mac

tell the guy jps plastering will do it thats me ill have the £500 to start then £1000 half the way through then £500 at the and for skiming and tilling + materials happy days mate 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

I went to see a job the other day. Fella tells me over the fone he wants his conservatory,living room and 2 bedrooms skimmin, so I said I ll be there tomorrow 6 o clockish to price up. I knock on the door, tell him Im the plaster and he says '' sorry mate I ve got someone else to do it, I was meant to fone ya but I got no credit on me fone''. CHEEKY (french person). Did nt even get the chance to give him a price

I had a call to price up a loft conversion and when I turned up (yesterday) I was ushered up a ladder and asked "how much then"......... I calmly came back down the ladder and politely explained that the loft needs to be at least partly built before I could give an estimate .... they assumed I could price it looking at a loft space full of box's of christmas decorations etc ...

tossers

I was meant to start a job today. Skim master bedroom walls, bond/skim landing ceiling and board/skim kitchen ceiling.
I got a text yesterday saying that someonelse had done the walls last week but can i still do the ceilings.
Apparantley the other fella is too busy to do the ceilings.
I was going to do it all for a decent price as he got my number from a mate but i decided to put my price back up with a bit on top for being messed around.
He decided he will wait till the other fella is free.
I dont mind though, i dont really like working for people like that.
I didnt like the way the other fella got the easy job either!!

problem is i am having to move onto domestic work, because of all the site's shuttin up shop.
i use to do domestic maybe 2-3 a month but i would do them at night or on weekends.
i never really advertise just word of mouth, but now 2-3 jobs a month is not enough, so i am chasing the domestic market hence people trying to rip me off.

I have found that more people are mentioning that they are getting other quotes in.
I know this is the best thing to do but i know they are really just trying to say that if i dont come cheap someonelse will and i wont get the job.
Even with repeat customers that know im going to do a good deal and job for them, they still like to try it on.

richardbrown said:
I had a call to price up a loft conversion and when I turned up (yesterday) I was ushered up a ladder and asked "how much then"......... I calmly came back down the ladder and politely explained that the loft needs to be at least partly built before I could give an estimate .... they assumed I could price it looking at a loft space full of box's of christmas decorations etc ...
tossers

that reminds me i was working in oz doing exterior textures and got sent to a job by the company we were subbing off and when we arrived there was just the slab so made sure we were in the right place and then phoned the t&t who `d sent us. he was`nt embarrased or owt but actually asked us how many meteres there was .so i explained no cobber there is just a slab i know you pommy git measure it up, so told him i`d call back got in van set off home and called him with an "average " amount of meteres then thought no more of it. a few months pass and he called me to give me a boolicking as the measurement i had given him was 30 m2 out it was at this point i lost my job

the cheeky bugger has called me back, 2 weeks work. but now wants to pay £650.00 but just asked me if i could take fireplace out.
i told him to be careful because anyone who will take that much work on for £650.00 will be a complete cowboy.
i work alone and think there would be 3 weeks there gettin it lookin nice. so i cant see 2 lads doin it for 2 weeks at £162.50 each per week.

feel sorry for the guy because he is askin for trouble and i told him this on phone i also told him who-ever he gets in let them skim 1 room then check their work out.

After a bad day last saturday i went to do a quote on the other side of the wirral. got there at the right time, knocked on the door and rang the bell - no answer. then i hear whispering behind the door. knock on the door again and shout that it's the plasterer to do a quote. no answer. so i phone them up from my mobile. i can hear their phone ringing out inside the house and more whispering from behind the door. i leave a message on their answering machine that i am outside. nothing. wtf. people don't have the ******* decency to phone up and say they've changed their mind or have got someone else in. cretins.

BARFLY said:
After a bad day last saturday i went to do a quote on the other side of the wirral. got there at the right time, knocked on the door and rang the bell - no answer. then i hear whispering behind the door. knock on the door again and shout that it's the plasterer to do a quote. no answer. so i phone them up from my mobile. i can hear their phone ringing out inside the house and more whispering from behind the door. i leave a message on their answering machine that i am outside. nothing. wtf. people don't have the ******* decency to phone up and say they've changed their mind or have got someone else in. cretins.

should have opened their lotterbox and said "erm.. i can hear you!?" then sent a postif through ther box stating they have clearly wasted your time and charged them for 2 hours of your wasted time
alternatively, keep calling in each time you pass by to really get on their tits

yeah. or call them at two in the morning every now and then with number withheld. ******* ridiculous - hiding in your own house pretending you're not in! why not phone and say you've changed your mind about needing some plastering? or else let me in to have a look and then say you'll get back to me? and no - noone was trying to get in the van but some ****** swung their car door into the side of it in a car park and left a big dent. bad week overall. good to have a couple of days off. £500 for a two bed house! i find that some punters have got no idea - like this fella by the sound of it. but others actually resent having to pay you. they dont see all the overheads. they work it out and see £150 or £200 a day and multiply by five or six and resent you for it. they want the work done but dont want to pay for it. the again, i've found the last three or four weeks have really picked up again.

I had a lady .... now this is true folks ... tell me the other day that she had her entire front room skimmed including the ceiling for £125 including materials and the man was on his own and did the whole job in 1 hour AND it was the best plastering job she had ever seen. I called her a liar

Rich

richardbrown said:
I had a lady .... now this is true folks ... tell me the other day that she had her entire front room skimmed including the ceiling for £125 including materials and the man was on his own and did the whole job in 1 hour AND it was the best plastering job she had ever seen. I called her a liar

Rich
rich, are you telling porkys ;D

del said:
richardbrown said:

Rich
rich, are you telling porkys ;D

I never tell porkies mate. ever

Looks like he eats a lot of porky pies , lol , sorry rich.We have a guy here in Farnborough , doing whole rooms for £125.00 , reasonable quality , but s**t , theres some mess when he goes , apparently .

Status
Not open for further replies.