Youngster Looking for Work in Kent

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smartin

Hi All

I'm posting this on behalf of my 19 year old son (who would go ape if he knew because 'he can look after himself' !). He lives in Whitstable in Kent.

He passed his level 2 diploma about 18 months ago, and has had the odd bit of work here and there but nothing permanent. He's really keen, but just needs to get a foot in the door somewhere.

If any one has a position, please would they get in touch.

Cheers in advance

Martin

We are looking to support youngsters...

so please leave us with an email address :)

or get him on the site posting :)

Welcome

Danny

Thanks Danny. It's bloody hard for kids these days what with recession/cuts/cheap immigrant labour.

I've looked around the site. Is there a facility for people to PM one another. If not I'll leave my e-mail address.

Cheers

Hello,

yes you can only PM once you have made a few posts... this is to protect the members from spammers :) its not many posts though

Good luck

Danny

i agree you got to to train the youth otherwise where are the next generation of renderers/plasterers going to come from [be it poorly paid on recent trends], ive taken on a few appretices over the last few years,the hardest part is finding young lads that are reliable and trustworthy.

Trouble is work is so un predictable at the moment that taking anyone on seems hard as don't wanna lay anyone off if things get tight again. What's he doing at the moment? What he think he is going to get paid ect? Can he drive? Have a motor?

Trouble is work is so un predictable at the moment that taking anyone on seems hard as don't wanna lay anyone off if things get tight again. What's he doing at the moment? What he think he is going to get paid ect? Can he drive? Have a motor?

I realise that work is unpredictable at the moment, and that it is a big resposibility for employers when taking on people. They have to be sure that the work is there to keep people on.

He had a job which he got through ringing around the local companies. This was with a 'one man band' plastering company. This bloke said to him that he would take him on for a few days a week with a view to training him up and eventually letting him loose to do work on his own whilst he was away doing other jobs. He started off by saying that he would pay him 30 quid a day for an 8 hour day. This was in his hand (not ideal, and not the way we really wanted it) but it was a start. The bloke not only used him as a labourer, which was expected, but also my son was really grafting doing proper plastering, plasterboarding walls & ceilings etc etc. He was really proud of the work he was doing. He used to take pictures of rooms he had plastered to show me (really interesting !!). Then the work was getting down to one or two days a week. In the end this work just dried up and this bloke just didn't bother calling him to say he had some work for him. The thing is I really believe he's good at what he does, and he enjoys it. He just needs the right person to take him under their wing for a while to give him some confidence. He doesn't expect a massive wage at his age, he wants the experience more than anything and a few quid to take his girlfriend out and to run his car.

He won't even go and sign on, although I've told him to because I've always paid in, and I'd be happier if he was getting my tax money rather than... etc.

It's got to the point where now he's applying for anything (factory work / driving jobs) because he needs to get into the workplace before he gets labelled unemployable.

Reading that back makes it look like a right old sob story. That's not how it's meant to be. Just fact.

i do feel for the young uns today .it is a massive responsibility taking one on though and believe me they are a pain and truthly a hinderance not a help for a long time.years ago there were big companies with cards in plasterers whom could take the time to teach not now everyones self employed having to bust a gut to make some pay

At their age they can get a job any where there's no excuses unfortunately plastered are having to do their own labouring to make a few quid to pay their own bills and feed their own family

I have too short a fuse to bother with apprentices now...........after my last one I honestly think I'd kill some f*cker:RpS_crying:

but if we dont look after the young it will be a dieing art (which it already is)

But the gov screwed up that for everybody :)

If he sticks at it and is determined enough he will make it through :)

That's what I hoping for one day there will be so few spreads that work will be easy to come by and I'll get paid dick loads to do it :)To the OP we are Medway based and will keep you son in mind once work picks up and we need a another set of hands. The fact he can drive and has his own transport is a massive plus and should see him getting more the 30 a day. In my eye that's a bit of a piss take for a days work
but if we dont look after the young it will be a dieing art (which it already is)But the gov screwed up that for everybody :)If he sticks at it and is determined enough he will make it through :)

Bloody typical, I go away for 10 days and the offers come in. Thanks d*m**o, I presume we missed the boat for the work you had.
If anything else comes up please let me know. I don't think I've got the facility to PM yet. I understand that this only comes after you've posted a certain number of times. I'm a bit wary about putting my phone number on here, so I'll keep an eye on this thread or I can be e-mailed - martin.sanders@talktalk.net

Same goes for you Currier, thanks. Appreciate it.

has your boy tried stanmore they do a lot in kent try ringing lee on 07875520802 he is the guy who sorts out the work

Hello Martin, I cant seem to pm you but we have a ob starting in seven oaks and we are looking for someone to join the team, It will be MP75 onecoat plaster using a machine. We are prepared to teach him so he wont need to know about machines or the system were using. If you email me on paul@ukplasteringmachines.co.uk and leave a contact number I will give you a call and have a chat. The job is starting next week. He will need cscs and be self-employed with his own transport

Status
Not open for further replies.