Young lads plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see whats difficult about laying on 3 guages a day at 30metres a set, its a piece of piss.. its easy to earn on site, IF you are good, its a waste of your time, life and body working on site though.. Id rather do two small nice easy sets a day, in someones nice, warm house, drink tea when I please, plug ipod into the radio and just enjoy myself, whilst earning as much wedge as any site worker, by doing about a 1/4 of the work... its not rocket science which is the better option is it.
You're slow and you know you are ha ha

I dont see whats difficult about laying on 3 guages a day at 30metres a set, its a piece of piss.. its easy to earn on site, IF you are good, its a waste of your time, life and body working on site though.. Id rather do two small nice easy sets a day, in someones nice, warm house, drink tea when I please, plug ipod into the radio and just enjoy myself, whilst earning as much wedge as any site worker, by doing about a 1/4 of the work... its not rocket science which is the better option is it.
You're slow and you know you are ha ha

Hi I've got a bathroom needs skimming free rider when do you think you could do it?
I'm available between now and Christmas
Oh brilliant when do you think you could get it finished?
Christmas

no offence freerider, but your a bit of a know it all for your age

I know I may come across one, but a know it all is generally someone who comes to an irrational conclusion through ignorance and lack of knowledge, Im merely coming to the best, fair, conclusion I can by taking in everyones knowledge and experience, I just cant stand bullshit and peoples 'Im better that you' attitudes ******* stink, it winds me up, Ive never said Im better than anyone, compared to a handful of guys on here, Warrior to name one, Im just an average joe doing an average job, Ill always take my hat off to people better than me, and always acknowledge it!

Strong opinions yes, know it all, no, far far from it.

Hi I've got a bathroom needs skimming free rider when do you think you could do it?
I'm available between now and Christmas
Oh brilliant when do you think you could get it finished?
Christmas

Im booked up until January because Im that ******* good Im a bit of a God in the Domestic trade, however if you can wait I can start on the 5th of Jan, should be able to get it done by March, 200notes a day please and tea on tap. Cheers toots! x

It,s not about site work,domestic work ,it what you BANK ,as you must always show any cash works as we all know

Yer some people have it and some dont

I dont but my brother does hence we are bother plasterers but prefer to do different sorts of work.

Also I hate ******* sheets and bell ends moaning about a little bit of duct when we have just pulled down a lath ceiling!

I know I may come across one, but a know it all is generally someone who comes to an irrational conclusion through ignorance and lack of knowledge, Im merely coming to the best, fair, conclusion I can by taking in everyones knowledge and experience, I just cant stand bullshit and peoples 'Im better that you' attitudes ******* stink, it winds me up, Ive never said Im better than anyone, compared to a handful of guys on here, Warrior to name one, Im just an average joe doing an average job, Ill always take my hat off to people better than me, and always acknowledge it!

Strong opinions yes, know it all, no, far far from it.

fair enough but you have previously tried to boast about what you charge, and how easy it is. you come across slightly arrogant your 26 and i would imagine most of the people you are arguing have more experience than yourself

Im booked up until January because Im that ******* good Im a bit of a God in the Domestic trade, however if you can wait I can start on the 5th of Jan, should be able to get it done by March, 200notes a day please and tea on tap. Cheers toots! x

I thought Surrey was supposed to be up Market you get 200 in Bristol doing domestic work

fair enough but you have previously tried to boast about what you charge, and how easy it is. you come across slightly arrogant your 26 and i would imagine most of the people you are arguing have more experience than yourself

Boast about what I charge? boasting to one person, is just proving a point to someone else... Ive got nothing to boast about mate, how else can I emphasise a point without saying stuff like that? next time I have an argument remind me to not back it up with any facts..

Arrogant, not at all, not afraid to speak out though, I dont give a **** how old someone is, if they have speak sense and are logical thats all that matters, yes people I may argue with have more experience than me, but that doesnt guarentee they are any good, does it.. as we've all said before, experience doesn't mean ****, if you are ****.. I'll respect people that deserve respect, not just someone who commands it!

Spunky - since when did people with money actually pay fair prices..

Dont know why people still think speed and amount you can lay on makes you a good spread, Id much rather pay someone who takes his time but does a spot on job, has diverse knowledge and all round skills that some monkey who thinks hes got big balls just cos he can lay on a lot of gear, Id be regarded as slow by most people, but slow throw choice, not through lack of skill and experience, quality of work, enjoying your job and looking after your body is far more important than speed.

P.s. not ALL young 'spreads' are ****! but I would say 90% of ALL spreads are pretty bad, knowledge and experience don't necessarily make you a good tradesman, quality of workmanship, no matter how you go about a job is by far the most important.
But a lot of these guys have got their quality down to a fine art so in itself dictated by prices get faster bit like a robot it becomes natural they get a method of working that looks like they are not just slinging it on but know exactly controlling the material not the other way round it's about working smart

I'm sorry I can't take anything you say seriously I can't get it out of my head that really you are probably shite.....sorry mate

This is a bit of a pointless argument as it is just horses for courses . some do domestic and some do site and some even do both. at the end of the day we are all above average intelligence plasterers (i think) and given time should be able to adapt to any working enviroment that we might find ourselves in. Towel skill is the same what ever you are doing and you should be able to use an apply it to what ever the product or system is that you are using, but there may be a time of adjustment from one to another. As for speed , well that again comes and goes with differing situations .

Dont know why people still think speed and amount you can lay on makes you a good spread, Id much rather pay someone who takes his time but does a spot on job, has diverse knowledge and all round skills that some monkey who thinks hes got big balls just cos he can lay on a lot of gear, Id be regarded as slow by most people, but slow throw choice, not through lack of skill and experience, quality of work, enjoying your job and looking after your body is far more important than speed.

P.s. not ALL young 'spreads' are ****! but I would say 90% of ALL spreads are pretty bad, knowledge and experience don't necessarily make you a good tradesman, quality of workmanship, no matter how you go about a job is by far the most important.

never read so much pompous shite in my life

these days there just is'nt the opportunity for young people to learn the trade properly...very few young lads will get on board with a time served all rounded plasterer who is willing to bring them on over the years..anyone who does is very fortunate...but then in my eyes you make your own luck and create your own chances.....the old 7 year apprentiships to advanced craft city and guilds needs to come back if we are to see standards go up and a consistency of standard in the trade...but realistically in modern day construction, price and speed dominates and value is just not appreciated...this is reflected right down to the training courses sadly...

i was considered very lucky as when i started my apprentiship in 1963 it had just been cut to five years from seven. the trouble is i was only 15 when i left school and would not receive full pay until i was 20. now the children leave school either at 16 or 18 wait a year to find out what they want to do, then they need more money and can not do anything.

I know what your saying mate i would love to be in your situation but i not i was brought up on site work and that's all i know its more kick bollock and bite on site so you have to up your game but don't let the quality drop there is little ways to do this as i have posted before without busting your nuts yes you gotta get your three hits in but your not sheeting up and being carefully about your surroundings and a good lab will prep in front of you and I've seen some good young spreads on site no they don't do float and set but they are just earning a living like the rest of us

I always feel happier on site on a meterage rate as long as its not a unfair rate. If i work my balls off i get paid extra, if i dont then i get paid less. Swings and roundabouts but at the end of the year we should get a fair wage

some very good advice i was given some years ago was to push myself.instead of plastering a ceiling on its own put a wall on wi it,,use good technique to control the set.when that becomes the norm put ceiling and two walls on and so on.the idea being that your technique tightens up to the point where you never realy loose control of the plaster you have on the walls/ceiling....thats experiance and the willingness to work ya bollox off.
i'm not saying i throw loads on cos i dont, i dont have to and i choose not to...but i have developed a good technique.

I used to do as much as I could on daywork when I was learning to get my speed up and get funny looks lads bitching behind you're back etc still stands you in good stead though

Don't do it anymore though unless I'm on price lol

Every site I have been on in the last 2 years didn't have the area to do 3 hits per day, 40 - 60 m2 per day per man, any more and you'd be in the dry liners pocket.

Large commercial site work is shite, if there's mass area to go at they just get more spreads in. All the h&s too.

I think anyone who hasn't been on site for 3 - 4 years would get a big shock now,

Very hard graft to earn
Very high standards expected
Low m2 rates, £2.20 best £1.70 worst round here
No help from anyone reg scaffolds, materials, equipment & water
Bulkheads
No decent runs to go at
No pay for beading
No pay for snagging your own work
Very low pay for snagging damage/poor work £10.00 if lucky
Health and safety has gone stupid. Hats, glasses, gloves, boots, high viz.
1/2 mile walk for a cig
Walking all over finding other trades to drop cables, sort pipes so you can start.
Very tight with Cscs, iPaf, pasma, pat test ect ect.

I think a lot of people who say they can go on site and have 3 hits and earn would be very surprised if they've not been on for a while. Maybe it's why we are seeing the high turnover of younger plasterers on bigger sites, most experienced guys know its shite.

I'm talking subby work, not supply and fit site jobs

Most large commercial sites are the same, iv worked on my fair share and walked off some of them for the reasons above, schools, academy's, hospitals & apartments that the bigger contractors usually get are down there with house bashing in my opinion now.

If I did that I'd be moving site everyday, so I tend to stay away from internal site work now.

Think a lot of younger naive plasterers like me, jump on site expecting to earn big money and it takes a couple of years, a lot of hard graft, and a few unpaid wages to realise its not what it's cracked up to be any more.

Last edited:
These silly low rates and unworkable conditions only prevail because people shut up and put up. If everyone just grew a pair and said no and walked away, even if that meant doing as kemp has done, then things would have to change.
Working for twenty year old prices will just prolong the agony for all.

The way things are at the mo it's in the contractors hands you can't compete against supply and demand

mac sorry you must be doing something wrong on decent size jobs you should piss 150 a day then 200 plus if you want to put you're foot down

I done it andy, and with all due respect we are all replaceable. even more so the site skimmers by the bucket load, with lads ready to step in at a moments notice.

Iv read you do the bigger jobs andy, you must know about priorities

Budget, deadlines, h&s, standard of work all are top of the list.

Does looking after subbies, making sure they are paid a decent rate and on time ever come into it. If you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.