which render for my nightmare wall?

Members online

emzy

hi all...Im looking for some advice on which type of external render and internal plaster would work on a solid brick wall that's in a pitiful state!:oops:
its been a mixture of confusing suggestions from various tradesmen since i bought the house several months ago.
the wall in question is a gable end of what was once a cowshed but was joined to the house a long time ago to form a utility room . its solid brick and get the brunt of the weather {most often rain around my area}.
its been repointed with cement mortar at some point in time.
quite a few brick a blown on the outside, some to a depth of around 5mm or so.
on top of that, its been painted with sandtex which is flaking off!
the inside was damp when i first got here but ive taken it back to brick removing all plaster etc and its since dried out.
my {old school} plasterer said to sand and cement render the outside but i feel thats going to bring back the damp!
I think it out to be a breathable render /plaster on both sides but what do i know {not much when it comes to this stuff:frenetico:}
Any advice would be hugely appreciated...what would you do if it were your wall??
thanks in advance(y)

hi all...Im looking for some advice on which type of external render and internal plaster would work on a solid brick wall that's in a pitiful state!:oops:
its been a mixture of confusing suggestions from various tradesmen since i bought the house several months ago.
the wall in question is a gable end of what was once a cowshed but was joined to the house a long time ago to form a utility room . its solid brick and get the brunt of the weather {most often rain around my area}.
the inside was damp when i first got here but ive taken it back to brick removing all plaster etc and its since dried out.
my {old school} plasterer said to sand and cement render the outside but i feel thats going to bring back the damp!
I think it out to be a breathable render /plaster on both sides but what do i know {not much when it comes to this stuff:frenetico:}
Any advice would be hugely appreciated...what would you do if it were your wall??
thanks in advance(y)
I live in a 200 odd year-old cottage, built with solid brick walls.
I'm taking off the sand and cement render and replacing it with an insulated render system.
90mm GEPS with a Monorex EHI render over. This can be finished in a sympathetic manner to suit an older property.

I'm taking off the sand and cement render and replacing it with an insulated render system.
90mm GEPS with a Monorex EHI render over. This can be finished in a sympathetic manner to suit an older property.
Sympathetic manner! U mean slap it on and sponge it ya rough b*****d :ROFLMAO:

thanks in advance(y)
If you didn't want his advice, why did you ask him?

thanks in advance(y)
@luke105

Hi guys, here's a couple of pics of the outside
15951565030396242691989245046188.jpg

Attachments

• 15951565953066414030187160386827.jpg
    15951565953066414030187160386827.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 124
Or I could just do it lol
Hi, thanks for reply...do you have any issues with damp/blown brick in the area which has the cement mortar?
I'm wondering if I render the external, will the moisture that's in the brick be forced to exit through the inside wall where I'm intending to plaster.
Insulation is not my priority since it's going to be used as a utility room and the temperature inside won't affect the rest of the house

Hi, thanks for reply...do you have any issues with damp/blown brick in the area which has the cement mortar?
I'm wondering if I render the external, will the moisture that's in the brick be forced to exit through the inside wall where I'm intending to plaster.
Insulation is not my priority since it's going to be used as a utility room and the temperature inside won't affect the rest of the house
We used to get damp and mould on the walls. But that was damp that was penetrating the walls, just that the brickwork was cold and the internal surface was the dew point. I'd definitely look to insulate that brickwork regardless of what you're going to use the room for. Just my opinion, I don't consider myself an expert in this field. @lurpak what do you think?

We used to get damp and mould on the walls. But that was damp that was penetrating the walls, just that the brickwork was cold and the internal surface was the dew point. I'd definitely look to insulate that brickwork regardless of what you're going to use the room for. Just my opinion, I don't consider myself an expert in this field. @lurpak what do you think?
He ain’t been on since April has he?