Tyrolean? What to do?

Members online

Alz

Hi
I have an Edwardian terraced which I think has what looks like Tyrolean spray over it. It's very old and is now failing all over, crumbling away, blown and pulled off where windows etc have been fitted.

I have been quoted to re-render with sand and cement after loose parts have been scrapped back. They only use this method. But after looking online people are suggesting sand and cement mix might be a bad idea? This could lead to damp problems in the future as moisture can't escape. Also might crack with movement.

What would people suggest? Can it be patched with Tyrolean again or re-rendered with lime mix or something else?

Thanks

Pics of what needs doing

Attachments

• IMG-20240214-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240214-WA0004.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20240214-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240214-WA0002.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20240214-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240214-WA0001.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 50
Have you breathed throughTyrolean?
Not sure. Do you think it's not Tyrolean? It could be another kind of spray coat on there. It's pretty thin. I currently don't have any damp wall issues so what ever is on the walls is not trapping moisture
Thanks

Hi
I have an Edwardian terraced which I think has what looks like Tyrolean spray over it. It's very old and is now failing all over, crumbling away, blown and pulled off where windows etc have been fitted.

I have been quoted to re-render with sand and cement after loose parts have been scrapped back. They only use this method. But after looking online people are suggesting sand and cement mix might be a bad idea? This could lead to damp problems in the future as moisture can't escape. Also might crack with movement.

What would people suggest? Can it be patched with Tyrolean again or re-rendered with lime mix or something else?

Thanks
@Stevieo

Pics of what needs doing

It does look to me like a Tyrollean finish.
I think that it has been sprayed on top of an old render. I can see near the window frames where the old render was marked out in blockwork. This may be the reason with the keying of the Tyrolean. Plenty of cracks on the extension that needs investigation.