trowels

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
sorry if this question has be asked before. when skimming is it better just using 1 trowel or two different size trowels for the different stages e.g 11inch or laying on and a bigger trowel for flatening down ? also being a novice is it advisable to use a sponge float,

better to lay on and flatten with a bigger trowel, youll get it on quicker and get it flatter, drop down to an 11" or even a 9" when you find the plasters ready for its final trowel, its just easier on the arm to get the pressure on where you need it and by that time youll have it flat anyway.
If you havent tried a 14" yet or bigger stick with your 11" for the time being (assuming your pretty new to plastering), get really confident with it and then upgrade, youll find it more awkward using the bigger trowel at first and youll keep catching it wrong...

same here, wet brush for skimming, sponge on render or bonding if its goin quick, some people use a garden sprayer to wet the walls up, personally i try and use as little water as poss, just in the corners with the brush, then trowel into the wall/ceiling

I agree with bigsegs. big MT stainless for laying on/flattening then my fave is a carbon steel 11" tyzak for final trowels.
Dunno y just carbon seems to have better edge.
That said I often go to B&Q and buy s**t just cos it's shiny!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.