Triso super 10 on its own??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chaps :)

My loft conversion has been specced at only needing Triso super10 and nothing else... I am inclined to add 50mm of celotex or kingspan between the rafters... but is this needed or am I wasting time and money??

actually having re-read what you wrote, I see your dilemma.

depends how anal you are about it, if you feel like you should have more insulation already you might as well do it now or you'll be ripping the boards down just to add some kingspan, and you don't want that. just do it and then you wont regret not doing it, later.

Keep an Eye on the air gap too, seal the insulation with silver foil.i take it you're putting 2/1 battens over the foil,boarding and skimming..

It depends on what you will gain by installing, Kingspan etc is messy smelly and time consuming to install by the time you foam and tape it all, not to mention expensive. I would ask whoever spec'd the triso to do the calc's for it first cos you could be spending lots of dosh and time for very little return :RpS_unsure:

It depends on what you will gain by installing, Kingspan etc is messy smelly and time consuming to install by the time you foam and tape it all, not to mention expensive. I would ask whoever spec'd the triso to do the calc's for it first cos you could be spending lots of dosh and time for very little return :RpS_unsure:
Have you been on the beer, half a day would kingspan a loft,calcs for tri iso are an interpretation by manufactor and unproven,hence Danny is looking to beef it up, thinking about it, I would spec celotex 100 mm,then board over with plasterboard with 50 mm insulation, pass on the tri iso this time Danny...

Hmmm yup I am exceptionally anal about stuff like this.... on the quest for perfection constantly some call it Ocd.....

The rafters are 4x2 and I need to keep a 25mm air gap approx... so 50mm celotex is ok....

Triso is about £1100 for what I need and the celotex is about £700 on top.

Had staircase manufacturers round all week trying to design to my spec and stil comply to regs... the joys....

Hmmm yup I am exceptionally anal about stuff like this.... on the quest for perfection constantly some call it Ocd.....

The rafters are 4x2 and I need to keep a 25mm air gap approx... so 50mm celotex is ok....

Triso is about £1100 for what I need and the celotex is about £700 on top.

Had staircase manufacturers round all week trying to design to my spec and stil comply to regs... the joys....
£1100 ,how many rolls,? A roll does 10 m squared I think..normally we are asked for 150 mm all in, I think that has been upped since @malc , I expect you you don't have the room to deepen the joists, 50 mm plus the tri iso seems acceptable if not wonderful, problem with tri iso is you will need 25 mm air gap also , so you depth is now 125mm plus thickness on the tri iso , so that means you could batten,creating 125 mm, fit 100 mm leaving same air gap and just board over,a bit less than the max but better I think than tri iso with50 mm,,

Last edited by a moderator:
The tri ISO is sound if your gonna go with Kingspan forget the tri ISO the problem you don't want is what's been mentioned you don't want it like an oven, it works on heat loss and heat coming in it has the same calcs or it wouldn't be made or allowed.

The tri ISO is sound if your gonna go with Kingspan forget the tri ISO the problem you don't want is what's been mentioned you don't want it like an oven, it works on heat loss and heat coming in it has the same calcs or it wouldn't be made or allowed.
Not proven though flynny, some councils won't accept it, some will,most private building control won't recommend it on its own, it's an odd one, we used itin Peckham a few months ago but were not allowed 6 months prior

£1100 ,how many rolls,? A roll does 10 m squared I think..normally we are asked for 150 mm all in, I think that has been upped since @malc , I expect you you don't have the room to deepen the joists, 50 mm plus the tri iso seems acceptable if not wonderful, problem with tri iso is you will need 25 mm air gap also , so you depth is now 125mm plus thickness on the tri iso , so that means you could batten,creating 125 mm, fit 100 mm leaving same air gap and just board over,a bit less than the max but better I think than tri iso with50 mm,,

Yeah I think the tri iso does 16m2....

I had planned 50mm of celotex between joists with 50mm air gap between felt an celotex... then staple the tri iso onto rafters... batten accross the raftsrs and that will then create the 25mm air gap....

We dont have a great deal of head height to play with... We are already puttin in a drop landing so I can get the head height for my en suite....

Have you been on the beer, half a day would kingspan a loft,calcs for tri iso are an interpretation by manufactor and unproven,hence Danny is looking to beef it up, thinking about it, I would spec celotex 100 mm,then board over with plasterboard with 50 mm insulation, pass on the tri iso this time Danny...

No i haven't had a drink John and tbh i'm a bit surprised at your reply considering just the other day you posted about people offering advice and spec's without knowing detail you just spec'd the job :RpS_confused: I simply gave an honest opinion on the question danny put.

No i haven't had a drink John and tbh i'm a bit surprised at your reply considering just the other day you posted about people offering advice and spec's without knowing detail you just spec'd the job :RpS_confused: I simply gave an honest opinion on the question danny put.
Didn't mean it literally re the beer, I was trying to help too, the thing about the calcs and insulation is that there is no certainty and councils are all different re whats allowed, ps this has changed recently and I am not upto date with this change,so I will sit in my naughty step now..

i have found a company that can supply celotex 2 nd quality in sudbury suffolk. the celotex factory at hadleigh suffolk had such a problem storing the 2nds that all 2nds are now sold through this company in sudbury.

Didn't mean it literally re the beer, I was trying to help too, the thing about the calcs and insulation is that there is no certainty and councils are all different re whats allowed, ps this has changed recently and I am not upto date with this change,so I will sit in my naughty step now..

Its called the ryan step now asif..:RpS_mellow:

It's main advantage is you don't loose head height the regs on lofts are over kill and the problem with some councils not using them is old boys set in their ways. The same as plasterers who won't dab only render then the plumber who won't use poly pipe, things have changed I remember when roofs didn't have felt and loft insulation and we lived ;)

still waiitng for planning for the skylights... damn useless councils....
Hopefully it came by 2 am and you got some sleep...conservation areas are worse, a group of people in their seventies deciding what should or shouldn't change.
i wanted to remove a tree in a garden I was doing,( a horrible Xmas tree /graveyard tree, ) there was two meetingsin which it needed to be brought up..

are you not putting a dormer in dan to open it up a bit?? without one it looks like it could be a bit cramped up there specially for a lanky............fella like you??

Have never seen Triso on its own without the celotex.

I've been in that loft, half a day won't celotex that one!

Yeah its a long loft... 2.2 to the ridge... 30 degree roof.... 3.7meters between the ashlar walls....

Using 50mm celotex and tlx stuff...

Yeah just a bit slow... staorcases are desperate £5500 for a staircase....lol but gone to the darkside and hopefully using stairbox if building regs can confirm it works.... £800 if it does....

I am doing a case study on plasterers news about it all. .. lol

Yeah just a bit slow... staorcases are desperate £5500 for a staircase....lol but gone to the darkside and hopefully using stairbox if building regs can confirm it works.... £800 if it does....

I am doing a case study on plasterers news about it all. .. lol
Very expensive stairs, must be complex , normally well under two k circa 1700

Hmmm they have 2 winds in them...

The thing is I reckon I could build them if I had plans...lol nothing is rocket science. ...

Just need time to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.