The angle bead covering a boarded RSJ has come away. Can this be repaired by skimming it or does it all need to be completely redone.

Members online

The angle bead covering an RSJ has come away. Can this be repaired by skimming over it or does it need to be completely redone?

Attachments

• 5AF73FC4-DAC7-4D1B-A095-B47D812DC66F.jpeg
    5AF73FC4-DAC7-4D1B-A095-B47D812DC66F.jpeg
    808.2 KB · Views: 82
Normal building drying out, maybe the scrim tape is missing - fill it, repaint and move on. It'll probably always crack with seasonal changes.

don't put yourself down pal saying you're not a spread.....go on utube and observe the ego tossers for 10 mins and you'll be fully qualified at it

Thank you for your comments. The RSJ was fitted and boarded out some years ago with metal angle bead at corners. I don’t think scrim tape was used. After a few years these cracks appeared along the edge of the beading.I have tried filling them but it doesn’t look very good and opens up again. I was wondering if you plasterers had come across this before and knew of any solutions? Thanks Tim.

What scrim could possibly be missing from there mate?
Running a bit of scrim tape over the mesh edge of beads seems to help prevent cracking where the background is a bit different and might be subject to a bit of movement. E.g in my case metal stud work on false chimney breasts. Certainly not normal but I learnt it from an old spread/instructor and it seems to work. On regular housing, board and studwork I wouldn't bother.

Running a bit of scrim tape over the mesh edge of beads seems to help prevent cracking where the background is a bit different and might be subject to a bit of movement. E.g in my case metal stud work on false chimney breasts. Certainly not normal but I learnt it from an old spread/instructor and it seems to work. On regular housing, board and studwork I wouldn't bother.
Mate, that's the basics, but fair play for learning it ! (y)