spray bottle vs brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
instead of using a spray bottle today.... i used a brush to wet the walls... i cant get over how much better, the finish is. :eek: :eek: :eek:

probably silly question but.....how do u go about using a brush... while on stills.

well what can i say simply.... my good fellow..i was taught to use a brush at that establishment.....i adapted to use a bottle ....because it great darn quicker...no more running back to ones bucket....so neeeeeerrrr.........all dirty like you and that brush of yours

Good lord are there still gents out there still using the old boars hair ? whatever next a machine that sprays on the wall for you ;D

SkyZOO said:
what do u do with the fat when using a bottle?
scrape it off you trowel on your board or onto your bucket. what do you do with it if you use a brush skyzoo?

on the window cill......... ha ha. na on the the edge of the flexi bucket and my shorts.... think ill use a brush from now on, works for me better than a spray bottle

et a £6 b&q one they work well, trust me once u go black ur never go back, or once u spray u never flic again?!?

SkyZOO said:
spunky...... is most of your work on board

yeah... i hardly ever skim on board, only old work. i find because it needs loads of troweling, i end up with fat on the walls. with a brush, i'll wipe the fat off everytime.

i have a lil paint kettle with a rad brush in it for corners and wipein the trowel. best tip of here was to get a long handled rad brush!

this cant be just me surely...
i use a brush, a little 2" brush...
i very rarely have to flick water on the walls but when i do its usually cos i need to lubricate the trowel...
i find i didnt have to do this half as much when using the old ragni carbon steel trowel but the stainless one seems to need it more often and im thinking of getting another spray bottle...
i tried one a while back but found i still wanted my brush in my hand to clean the back of the trowel etc so binned the spray bottle...

but i just keep needing to flick a tiny bit in front of this stainless trowel whearas before i never had to...

i usually just run the brush lightly up the corners when its gone far enough and pull that across or down the wall.... quick lick along the skirting line and pull up.. thats all it needs until the trowel starts furring the finish up..
never did that with the old carbon...

so is that just me or what?

ill prolly end up having 2 trowels, stainless to lay in and flatten and swap to a decent carbon for the rest ???...

Chris, I get what your saying, 14" stainless for laying on and a 11" carbon for trowelling up, and still use a brush. Find I'm going back to the bucket to clean my trowel too many times anyway so I get clean water then but each to their own.

I wasn't sure whether to reply to this one, but here goes. Those of you that use a spray or just flick your water on using a brush are completly missing one of the main purpose's of using a brush when troweling up. Under many circumstances the troweling up will go better by laying the wet brush on the wall/ceiling in front of the trowel. This breaks the surface of the plaster and makes troweling up easier, using a spray just can't replicate this. When I finish a hit of setting my spot board is clean ready for the next one, no fat all round the sides, use a brush wipe the trowel straight of into an empty bag. Don't make more work for yourself having to clean all that crap of the board, it all costs time.

i use a marshalltown 4 inch dry lining scraper..always in back pocket..work with 2 guys ones old school brush other is same as me on spray...gave my old spray bottle to old school fella a few jobs back....hes given up his brush for good he recons......hes been converted to spray bottle....after 38 years of brush.....evryone has their own way....but i still think bottle is quicker takes only a second to clear fat off board but takes a good few returns to bucket to get water ....spray bottle in left hand trowel in right....its like feking kirate kid .....wash on wash off....paint the fence...wax on wax off.....tidy like

your out numbered. the real spreads on here have all agreed, i do what andy says. spray bottles, do you take it home at night and water the house plants as well with your little pink gloves on ;D ;D ;D

Do you lads use same brush on the wall as you would for cleaning off back of trowel etc or would you have cheaper brush in the water bucket?

neither coke bottle with a nail hole in the top and a rad brush to finish corners, Andy what your saying seems to imply you are brusing the whole wall the break the surface ??? surely this is just a primative version of sponging finish :p

Status
Not open for further replies.