Some courses do work?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you russ but a courses is just a courses. sooner then later you have to get in the sadle.

first of all ignore spunky and his comments tends to get carried away, i think your comments would have come across better if you had approx 5 years plus experience of different types of plastering , certainly in carlisle i have never known a site agent or indeed someone in a senior position who is a plasterer ,they all tend to be joiners or bricklayers, the main reason though why spunky is so upset/angry/foaming at the mouth, is probably because we have all served a time served apprenticeship, during which we all experienced the good and bad times of being an apprentice, my apprenticeship was 3 years, my uncles was 5 years, and my grandfathers was 7 years, so you can see a pattern forming here, unfourtanetly as the years go by time served is less and less , to the situation nowadays where there is no apprenticeships but just these courses where unfourtanetly some of them get carried away with there arrogance and self importance, but nowadays the workplace is totally different now and not just the building trade, but i do agree with you that any young person should be encouraged to aim higher ,but the one thing you can not learn on a course is experience and thats why most of these young lads should grab any oppourtunity they can to gain experience on site, labouring included, unfourtanetly you seem to give the impression that this is not important, all best hector , ps hopefull spunky will calm down now

Flynny he has no intention of becoming a spread just used the course to put him self into a different career so why would you come on here saying this i presume to get people onto a different track the same as himself? Quals don't mean jack in the plastering industrie.

I think your wrong i had no intention of being a moderator on a plasterers forum 22 years down the line its just where you find yourself, we are all on a plasterers forum most nights so we all have a passion for it some earlier on in their lives than others. Spunky they have banned me from the college :(

this forum is all about helping others and giving tips, there has been nothing constructive from this thread.

Yes there has anyone who has done a course will get torn to pieces and hopefully **** off out of the industry because they don't deserve to be here chancer ******* wankers :RpS_thumbsup:

first of all ignore spunky and his comments tends to get carried away, i think your comments would have come across better if you had approx 5 years plus experience of different types of plastering , certainly in carlisle i have never known a site agent or indeed someone in a senior position who is a plasterer ,they all tend to be joiners or bricklayers, the main reason though why spunky is so upset/angry/foaming at the mouth, is probably because we have all served a time served apprenticeship, during which we all experienced the good and bad times of being an apprentice, my apprenticeship was 3 years, my uncles was 5 years, and my grandfathers was 7 years, so you can see a pattern forming here, unfourtanetly as the years go by time served is less and less , to the situation nowadays where there is no apprenticeships but just these courses where unfourtanetly some of them get carried away with there arrogance and self importance, but nowadays the workplace is totally different now and not just the building trade, but i do agree with you that any young person should be encouraged to aim higher ,but the one thing you can not learn on a course is experience and thats why most of these young lads should grab any oppourtunity they can to gain experience on site, labouring included, unfourtanetly you seem to give the impression that this is not important, all best hector , ps hopefull spunky will calm down now

Spunky did a short course which kills him to say :)

Flynny don't want to break you're heart but being the light weight you are I don't take you're posts seriously x

I think your wrong i had no intention of being a moderator on a plasterers forum 22 years down the line its just where you find yourself, we are all on a plasterers forum most nights so we all have a passion for it some earlier on in their lives than others. Spunky they have banned me from the college :(

He's already said he has no intention of becoming a plasterer and he just wants every one to know it can lead onto further education with the courses he has done which in all fairness is fine but the like of me or any one who got there quals through assessment just so we can carry on doing what we been doing 15+ years before have no chance of getting into that sort of thing.

Too all the people who said well done thanks but I didn't mean to write this to be about me I just used myself as an example for others who may be coming out of school and thinking about college, you'll be surprised how many people look on building forums for opinions.

Im not having a go at you Russ it's a shame you don't want to get into plastering as you seem switched on mate but what ever you do mate good luck with it.

He's already said he has no intention of becoming a plasterer and he just wants every one to know it can lead onto further education with the courses he has done which in all fairness is fine but the like of me or any one who got there quals through assessment just so we can carry on doing what we been doing 15+ years before have no chance of getting into that sort of thing.

When you say that sort of thing im assuming a HND, HNC or something similar? Of course you can you just need to go and enroll but wether there will be a job at the end of it is another thing or its something you will enjoy.

Im not having a go at you Russ it's a shame you don't want to get into plastering as you seem switched on mate but what ever you do mate good luck with it.
brilliant trade to know for a bit of cash on the weekend so will be carrying on with small jobs, and thanks.

Lol thats the crazy thing with it Flynny you chose plastering as a career where as I just inherited it from my father with out choice, of course I had a choice but when presented with a choice of taking an easier option and being around family whilst entering the scary world of working i took the easy path which in turn was the hardest path.

Lol Yeah there there massive everything else seems water logged strawberry's are looking a bit rotten should have grown rice this year think it would have done well.

Same here mate but my strawberries chose their own route they had a choice the turnips went to seed but not out of choice they were confused but the strawberrieries chose to grow because I force ****** them neat fertiliser lol

All I read on here is that these plastering courses are a waste of time and people shouldn't waste their money on it and they would learn more mixing up for a spread blah blah blah, but are they really? I have recently finished my level 3 In plastering and i am now going into higher education with the option to get a degree in building management, architect, surveying and many others and ill aslo have a trade back ground if it dont work out,So what I can't understand is why are most people so negative to these courses? I would of thought a lot of the older, wiser ones would be telling younger people who come on here asking for advise telling them to do these courses use it as a stepping stone to higher education so they don't have to wear themselves out by the age of 35 not get on the laboring sticks because you will never make it as a plasterer on a course or your wasting your time dont bother learning it because the works dead. Well that's my little say on what I think courses can offer if any bodies looking at getting onto one, it ain't just plastering you can do once you get some qualifications. Also if there's any people on here that have gone onto a hnc or degree I would like to hear what the experience was like and what it offered you. Was it worth it?

why was your 3 year plastering course free??

why did u choose to do a plastering course to go into building management?

why do you think you now have a trade background?

how old are you??

how big is your nob? x

Doing any course doesn't make you a better plasterer, but then again not doing a course doesn't make you a better plasterer either. A course gives you a broader knowledge of the different parts of the plasterer's job but it doesn't give you the experience of doing big hits or site life. What a course, or an NVQ can do is open doors for you so you can do emigrate if you want, or go on to do other things. A plasterer I know who started with his Grandad and Dad got his NVQ, went into teaching ang got his teaching degree. This is not for everybody but his NVQ gave him that option.

I have got my advanced craft and in all honesty I have never been asked for it before I started any plastering job but it opened doors for me in lots of other areas and that is the main thing about them. For the people who say forget the course and get some experience of working with a spraed, how many of you could afford to take a lad on now and train them up properly when prices and work is very thin on the ground, and make sure that they know what they are doing.

Perhaps it might be a good time to encourage the younger generation to go do a course for 3 years because it might give them options later on in life, or we could tell them to hang about on the street corner for the rest of their lives being a drain on our taxes.

Yes there has anyone who has done a course will get torn to pieces and hopefully **** off out of the industry because they don't deserve to be here chancer ******* wankers :RpS_thumbsup:
I'm a courser spunky so you can muff my northern ass..........did two city & guilds courses in plastering prior to leaving the army and then did on site NVQ's when i left after working with a relative. Those courses stood me in good stead as it was a complete career change from what i did in the army....its all down to who delivers the training and if they have the passion and patience to teach you properly. Dont get me wrong the lads doing these weekend DIY courses then banging out some poor fcukers living room is a big no no...the government has to take some responsibilty for allowing fly by night compaines to set up without accreditation and wasting valuable funding to deliver dogshit training and running with the cash......

P.S. well done for getting that gold at the olympics by the way.. all that running away from RS has helped you knock valuable seconds off ya time trials....:RpS_thumbup:

spunky......spunky.......are you still there marra

Well...I'm gutted that I've got to attain an NVQ to get into sitework after 15 years of domestics/refurbs experience.

Went to the assessors office (I'm being assessed onsite for it as an experienced tradesman) and had to take 2 'skills for life' tests.
WTF are we coming to? One of the questions had a picture of three lift buttons numbered 1, 2 and 3. It asked "Which button would you push to go to the third floor?" !!!!!!

I wouldn't mind...but I got some wrong lol.

Muff my northern ass...........nice makes a difference from its not a spade it's a shovel
wehey.....the spunkster is back..............well done on that ollyimpic gold marra.............:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.