1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Smooth render with silver sand

Discussion in 'Video Tutorials On How To Use The Plasterers Forum' started by m.harper, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. m.harper

m.harper New Member

Hi people

The builder who is incharge of the job as requested a smooth finish over brick.. He's got snowcrete with silver sand for top coat finish.. I won't have went down this route myself but he wants it. What's the best ratio for this? 5 sand 1 snowcrete an 1 lime? As heard the line helps it bind? With free flow or plastizier. I've roughcasted with it but never floated up with it. Any tips or should I not do it ha! Thanks

2. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Best ratio is to get back in the van fire it up and tool it down the road !!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bopper

bopper Active Member

We used something similar once in Ireland,it wasint silver sand tho everything was to achieve a white finish...... never done it before then or after!!

4. m.harper

m.harper New Member

Wasn't my first choice.. All I use is enewall up here in Scotland nowadays.. So when the guy said silver sand an snowcrete.. i wasn't to happy going back to the olden days .. An if it looks s**t it's on me. So might rubber it eh

5. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

What's your background like- strength? Are you aware that snowcrete has stronger final finish than portland? Silver sand and builders are too fine for render, at least for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

7. m.harper

m.harper New Member

It's on brick. Yeah I read this ..your ment to make your mix higher for both coats. Really can't be bothered with a nightmare of a job. Building sand goes white anyway with snowcrete.. Silver sands s**t to work with.

8. m.harper

m.harper New Member

I've used builders sand a lot but it's getting harder to get good stuff nowadays.. Seems to be very gritty. Few years back it was great to float up.

9. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

Here is the catch - silver sand is the cleanest and snowcrete is the strongest. You can make the math .

10. m.harper

m.harper New Member

I'm s**t at math ha! What's the answer

11. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Marshy gave you the best answer!

12. m.harper

m.harper New Member

I know.. Other guys say it's a dream.. Last time I used to wet dash.. It was a mare. But never floated.