Skim over board and solid wall

Members online

ajsm

Plastering beginner and wanted some advice on plastering over a wall with mixed substrates (solid wall/brick, plasterboard, solid wall). See picture. Plan was to fill in patches in solid walls with two layers bonding plaster after PVAing (up to 20mm deep in places) then two layers of skim coat over the whole wall (adding mesh over joins with first layer).

Will that work or is it liable to crack where plasterboard meets solid walls? What are other options?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG20231010151302.jpg
    IMG20231010151302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
Update: Finished first side of wall and pretty pleased with result given first attempt at skimming. Pretty smooth/flat overall though needs a bit of sanding, some filling in a few areas.

For any other newbs, definitely don't underestimate how hard it will be. I think this was too big a wall to start on (2.5 x 3.6m) and first half an hour was almost comically bad (plaster sliding off hawk, off wall, terrible technique). Much improved on second coat but you're up against it for time, starts hardening up incredibly quickly. Recommend watching a tonne of YouTube videos and doing a practice wall somewhere unnoticeable first.

Still need to put clock back up ;-)
IMG20231110181813.jpg

Update: Finished first side of wall and pretty pleased with result given first attempt at skimming. Pretty smooth/flat overall though needs a bit of sanding, some filling in a few areas.

For any other newbs, definitely don't underestimate how hard it will be. I think this was too big a wall to start on (2.5 x 3.6m) and first half an hour was almost comically bad (plaster sliding off hawk, off wall, terrible technique). Much improved on second coat but you're up against it for time, starts hardening up incredibly quickly. Recommend watching a tonne of YouTube videos and doing a practice wall somewhere unnoticeable first.

View attachment 76210
The end.

View attachment 76210
I am not a plasterer but from a DIY point of view I think that is a great first attempt. Brave too. Needs tarting up but seems generally sound. Also you didn't have to let any of the clowns giving advice here into your home. Happy tarting.

Tarted - plus other side.(We're getting a new clock.)

Recommend any DIY-ers up for a challenge give it a go... but it's #*!?$ hard work.. hats off to the pros.
IMG20231214180942.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20231214181122.jpg
    IMG20231214181122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43