Silicone render help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singlesman

Hi Gents, just stumbled across this site and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to give me a few pointers on a couple of rendering jobs I've been asked to do?
Briefly, been building, (mainly plastering) for 30 years, done a fair bit of s&c rendering but all domestic, small jobs. Certainly nothing over 25/30m2.
Now these k- rend jobs have come up and although I'm keen to have a go I really don't want to make a mess of them. Neither job has any massive wall areas, (20m2) and both are over new medium density block work.
What I need is a idiot proof guide to getting the stuff on, I've got the plastic bead / bell- cast thing but so many things I'm clueless on,
Will I realistically mix and get it on the walls alone? ( no problem with s&c)
Primer, base coat, mesh on new block work ?
If I can 2 coat straight onto block work does the second coat go on asap.
Tools? Serrated straight- edge, I-beam, scratching up float, do you think that's all I'll need over and above all the normal plastering tools I have?
Sorry for such a long winded first post, but any advice much appreciated,
Paul.

Welcome along mate , first of all don't be trying to mix and lay on, it's not massive areas but it's more labour intensive than s&c , on new blockwork , slightly dampen , lay first coat on at 8mm mesh to stress points flatten with serrated then second coat straight on at 8 -9 mm , over with serrated again as flat as poss, you can close in with spat if you want, we don't bother as our edges are well worn , then go back later in day and use your i bar to get super flat, then over with scratcher and brush off [emoji106]if you want to get it done quicker use accelerator in the mix

Thanks Clivo, will borrow a labourer off a mate, am I reading right that it's a 10 minute mixing time or is that mix, wait, mix again?
Jobs are a couple of weeks away but will post some photos if they turn out alright, or maybe not ir they don't. :crying:

Thanks Bobby, I know what your saying but I enjoy what I do , just feel I'm a bit behind the times just using traditional renders. Nothing ventured and all that!
First smaller job is on a mates house. He's well aware it will be a practice job and the extension wall faces a neighbours fence so pretty well out of sight!

Thanks Clivo, will borrow a labourer off a mate, am I reading right that it's a 10 minute mixing time or is that mix, wait, mix again?
Jobs are a couple of weeks away but will post some photos if they turn out alright, or maybe not ir they don't. :crying:
Mix for 10 min then let it bind for 5 to 10 min, knock up another tub while first is sitting then quick spin on first tub before you lay on and keep that process going , good luck just don't rule off the second pass too thin or you'll end up scratching back to the first pass then jobs knackered [emoji106]

Hi Gents, just stumbled across this site and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to give me a few pointers on a couple of rendering jobs I've been asked to do?
Briefly, been building, (mainly plastering) for 30 years, done a fair bit of s&c rendering but all domestic, small jobs. Certainly nothing over 25/30m2.
Now these k- rend jobs have come up and although I'm keen to have a go I really don't want to make a mess of them. Neither job has any massive wall areas, (20m2) and both are over new medium density block work.
What I need is a idiot proof guide to getting the stuff on, I've got the plastic bead / bell- cast thing but so many things I'm clueless on,
Will I realistically mix and get it on the walls alone? ( no problem with s&c)
Primer, base coat, mesh on new block work ?
If I can 2 coat straight onto block work does the second coat go on asap.
Tools? Serrated straight- edge, I-beam, scratching up float, do you think that's all I'll need over and above all the normal plastering tools I have?
Sorry for such a long winded first post, but any advice much appreciated,
Paul.

Welcome to the forum @Singlesman (sorry its late)

Thanks Danny, great site, can't believe I've never stumbled across it before.
Having read your review I've bought some speedskim rules and a plaziflex trowel, not for everyone I know but they don't half take some of the hard work out of it for us old'uns.
(Still waiting on a start date for the k- rend jobs)

Thanks Danny, great site, can't believe I've never stumbled across it before.
Having read your review I've bought some speedskim rules and a plaziflex trowel, not for everyone I know but they don't half take some of the hard work out of it for us old'uns.
(Still waiting on a start date for the k- rend jobs)
Haha that is good to hear :) thanks :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.