Should gaps be filled before coving?

Members online

craigj

Hi all,

I live in a circa 1900 sandstone building with a lathe and plaster ceiling with a cornicing.

A large part of this old ceiling in my living room fell down and I have employed a local firm to replace it.

On day 1 they took down all of the old lath, plaster and cornicing - such that the ceiling was back to the joists. It's worth noting that the part of wall where the old cornicing was removed was now uneven with the rest of the wall - but this is to be expected.

On day 2, they filled the gaps around the joists with wool insulation and then fitted new plasterboard. They then applied a layer of plaster. They also appear to have fitted some narrow strips of plasterboard to the top of the walls - in an attempt to fill the gaps at the top of the walls left by the old cornicing.

Despite fitting these new plasterboard strips and adding bits of plaster to areas of the gaps, I still feel like with the wall is very uneven at the top and there are lots of large gaps between the wall and the ceiling.

They are returning today with the expectation that today will be their last day. My worry is that they will turn up and simply fit the new coving over the gaps i.e cover them up rather than filling them properly before putting the coving on.

My question is: should I expect them to provide fully smooth top of wall and ceiling - plastered with no gaps - before the coving is put on? Or is it acceptable to leave gaps because the coving will cover it anyway?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-08-07-40-19.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-08-07-40-19.png
    989.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
There will be no issues with that as long as the coving sits nice why you so concerned if there is gaps as you say it's getting covered.

You could possibly get sound transference from the adjoining room or ceiling void from upstairs if the fap isn't filled. Just foaming it would do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you should have done is talk to them about it at least before they turned up today, at least then they would have the bonding, hardwall etc on the van.
Many a time ive turned up for a one day job and been asked to do extra but may have needed board or adhesive or dab or etc etc......

Out of interest was it put as an insurance claim? If so I will be even more pissed off that cornice wasn't put back up