Rendering/roughcasting a timber frame?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselpower

If you were asked to go and look at a timber frame house that wanted rendering, once you seen it how honest would you be?
Whoever built the blockwork skin has not left any movement joints and put the weep vents in pretty much all the wrong places, sorry forgot to say client is project manager and told them what he wanted and in accordance with local regs.

If he said go ahead and do it whatever the price is would you carry on and make good money or alert him to all the faults before you start and do all the remedial work before starting?

honesty will go a long way with in this situation i think......pull out all the weep vents, the drill and plug sort can be inserted after rendering( much cleaner and prettier). As for expansions every 5m, it's not uncommon to retrospectively cut them in where needed without too much bother. After he's been made aware of these necessary but simple alterations it's his call then init, either way you glow with knowledge and pedigree like

Yeah you're right mate. First thing i told him was the lack of movement joints( every 6m max but 3m max from a corner) and weep vents were gonna get hammered off and drilled in after, especially as they have used two different colours.
Bad enough worrying about cracks and shoite when you go by the book never mind covering up some rough c**t's work..

if you just render round the vents and cracks appear later or during from no expansion....it'll magically be ur fault somehow anyway and generally put down all ur good work

remember expansion joints in rendered finishes are at around 5or 6m depend on the render spec and dont always mean there will be structural movement joints in the actual building at the same intervals, so double check before you start digging on where joints in the substrate should be but look after your own in the render if you go with a basecoat then hi polymer mesh coat over that then some manufacturers will allow 20m stretches before joints unless there is one sooner (structural) in the building that must be always mirrored through

why have they built a wall? is it sitting just infront of the frame?

Forgot that i had started a thread on this, well i told the guy everything that was wrong with his build but he said he was going by drawings and now, magically a drawing has appeared with movement joints shown but what pisses me off is the fact the amount that are shown and where, do not concur with local building regulations but the drawings have still been passed.

Anyway, got the guy cutting them out himself and managed a nice £per m..

Status
Not open for further replies.