Render over a painted garden wall?

Members online

Vern68

Hello everyone. Just a DIY-er here.

I've got a front garden wall made out of those horrible 1970s textured blocks - the ones with a deep riven face and smooth backs.

We keep painting the wall every few years, but it always ends up peeling and doesn't look good even when freshly painted. I want to take the wall down by one course of blocks, render it, and put smarter coping stones on it.

My plan (atm....open to ideas!) is to get every bit of loose paint off and key the wall as best as I can with a wire brush, then strap the 2 vertical cracks in the wall with builders steel band, paint wall with an exterior 'pre-grit', put a scratch coat of Weber OCR (with plastic mesh embedded to beef it all up and hopefully prevent cracking), then top coat with Weber OCR.

How does that sound? I know Weber is dearer than sand and cement, but I'm hoping it'll have more flex, plus it is lighter to work with and pre-mixed - so I'll save on a mixer.

Do I need to get every bit of paint off, or would a pre-grit take care of it?

I'd really appreciate any pointers and advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
No chance. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Knock wall down to footing employ bricklayer to build a quality brick wall.

No chance what? Do you mean the render won't stick because of the paint?

I just want advice...I am taking this on myself because I have to. I barely have the money to cover rendering materials, let alone the thousands a new brick wall would cost (but thanks for the kind advice). If I had that sort of money, do you really think I'd be coming on here asking for advice?

Last edited:
In a country famous for its shite weather .
@ Render garden wall is the worst

Stuck for cash ,attach 2x1 treated battens.
@Clad with feather edge boards

cheers 000, that did cross my mind, as well as lurking on ebay for some bargain brick slips (which would be a different sort of nightmare!).

Ideally, yes I would like a brick wall, as not only do they look the business, but they are zero maintenance. But I am where I am financially.

I fully understand that rendering is option Z, but it's the only one I have...and I have some quality coping stones that'll finish it off nicely.

So if anyone has any advice they could give on how to go about this, I'd appreciate it.

My big worry is there will probably be a lot of paint left on the block wall.... is that a real no-no, or will an exterior pre-grit sort that? And if I am rendering an exterior wall, is Weber OCR the way to go?

Last edited:
I just found a product called 'Rendagrip' (by EverBuild). One of the reviews said it was useless and the render blew after a couple of months. So I'm thinking wire mesh all over, plugged and screwed. Time consuming, but at least the render will be on something that's proper stuck to the wall.