Render mesh showing through plaster

Members online

JUK

Hi,

Following some advice from this forum, I've just plastered a wall using fibreglass render mesh to strengthen it as it was covered in hairline cracks (not blown). I've got a fair bit of diy plastering experience but first time using the mesh.

I'm really happy with the finish, but the problem I have now is that where the mesh overlaps (about 50mm) or so, bits of the edge of the mesh are sticking through the finished plaster. I'm guessing I didn't use thick enough coats, but the mesh is quite a lot thicker than scrim. There are other areas I can see the outline of the mesh, but they are completely smooth when I run my hands over them, so not really worried.

What are my options now? I don't mind skimming with another 2 coats if necessary, but would rather not as they are only small areas!

Cheers

What you should of done is mix some bonding into your first coat of skim for additional thickness but even this can still show through any fraying overlap joints on your first coat,what you should’ve done when you noticed them in real time is to put a strip of scrim tape over the frays or visible edge of the overlap and bedded it in to the coat and they would’ve disappeared

Ok thanks. Whats strange is that I made sure none of the mesh was visible after the second coat, it only seems to have come through as it's dried.

Whats the best way of sorting it, reskim or is scrim/easy fill an option?

Cheers

This is what I was advised to do by this very forum... the wall is fine apart from these two small areas so I can't justify hacking it all off again

This is what I was advised to do by this very forum... the wall is fine apart from these two small areas so I can't justify hacking it all off again
Don't listen to half of what you hear on this forum there all millionaires fannying round Mrs Jones pantry . Ha ha surely that was more expensive buying mesh pva then skim and now skimming it again .

Isn't that what a forum is for? Or should I have asked for advice, then completely ignored it? :LOL:
Yes of coarse it is for advice and the way you did it was OK aswell. But what I'm saying is most of the time it's easier and cheaper to start from fresh. That system is on cosmetic like skimming shot to s**t walls
It's a quick cheap tempory fix

Hi,

Following some advice from this forum, I've just plastered a wall using fibreglass render mesh to strengthen it as it was covered in hairline cracks (not blown). I've got a fair bit of diy plastering experience but first time using the mesh.

I'm really happy with the finish, but the problem I have now is that where the mesh overlaps (about 50mm) or so, bits of the edge of the mesh are sticking through the finished plaster. I'm guessing I didn't use thick enough coats, but the mesh is quite a lot thicker than scrim. There are other areas I can see the outline of the mesh, but they are completely smooth when I run my hands over them, so not really worried.

What are my options now? I don't mind skimming with another 2 coats if necessary, but would rather not as they are only small areas!

Cheers

Just do it with fine filler that's easy to sand

2 passes

Isn't that what a forum is for? Or should I have asked for advice, then completely ignored it? :LOL:
Your walls are full of cracks for a reason it old or blown or movement
Till its hacked off and re done they'll re appear. That mesh isn't Harry Potters wand as some plant pots think it is

Ok thanks. Whats strange is that I made sure none of the mesh was visible after the second coat, it only seems to have come through as it's dried.

Whats the best way of sorting it, reskim or is scrim/easy fill an option?

Cheers
torch GIF

Put your wand away and get a blow torch & scraper, and burn/melt it off gently. Play the heat lightly and focussed, don't get the plaster hot or it will crack. Maybe a bit of sandpapering - Done.

Reactions: JUK
Put your wand away and get a blow torch & scraper, and burn/melt it off gently. Play the heat lightly and focussed, don't get the plaster hot or it will crack. Maybe a bit of sandpapering - Done.

Great idea! Will give this a go, thank you

Great idea! Will give this a go, thank you
Don't forget to tell us how you got on. We like happy ever after stories at bedtime but truth is preferred.
ps some of us are apparently vampires and don't sleep at night.