pva wet trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
i have read on other forums of people using pva while wet troweling, does anybody do this and why? thank for replies

Christ where have you heard that?
I've never heard of it and wouldn't imagine there'd be any advantage!
IMHO the final coat should be as pure as it can.
Anyone know different?

a cant think wat you wud achieve by doing that :-?maybees its got sumthing to do with wen you go to paint the wall? :-?

ive heard of puttin a bit of pva in your guage water to knock up with but when i tried it, it didnt seem to do anything only maybe make the plaster fall off the trowel and slide down the wall...it just seems to want to stick to itself rather than anything else...was supposed to hold it off a bit???
maybe if you stick some neat pva on a brush, then slap it on the wall in a random pattern as youre trowelling up you might end up with some sort of marbley finish???...
or maybe you could dip a 2"brush in some pva, write "all painters are fuckwits" on the wall just as youve trowelled up and let it dry...
;D
other than that, sorry no idea... :-/

Well there you go!
Only joking.
Been thinking about it and I'm convinced it would do more harm than good.
Bit like bigsegs every time I've tried putting stuff in to slow down or speed up any gear I've noticed no difference and prefer to use it "au naturelle" cos then I know what it's gonna do.

ps that don't mean i do it naked!
But there's a thought!
Hmmm
:-?

im a painter and decorater by trade and the reason i ask this question is that sometime when painting plaster it can sometimes covers in 3 or 4 and even 5 coats and using same method. so i was thinking if it cover easier it could be that there is pva added to the mix. or the over thing i though it could be is pessure on when applying plaster, im guessing the denser the plaster the less paint being absorbed in to the surface, also i found poorly plasterd sufaces usualy take more coats than a sound surface. the question qsked isnt really that important im just trying to find out stuff that i havnt already read on the forum. thanks

also comment made about decorator made me chukle

it gets clearer... :)
probably, and dont really hold me to this, what youre experiencing is the plasterers have polished the walls unnessesarilly (sod my spellin) and the paint wont stick??
if you let the wall go right off, throw loads of water at it (not bucketsful, just a splash) and then hard on with the trowel at about 30-40 degrees then youll put a shine on the wall you can see your face in...I expect you'd experience the same effect painting copper pipes or glass or painting emulsion over gloss??
'eggshell' is the finish im after for the painters...

n.b. if a damp proofer wants to upset the plasterers he'll spray some fluid up the wall...plaster wont stick...
if a plasterer wants to upset the painters, assuming hes got bugger all better to do (unlikely when there are such places as pubs etc), then he'll spend 1/2 an hour polishing the wall to a shine, 1st time newbie customers think its fantastic "gosh innit shiny!!" etc...till they come to paint it...
was only kidding bout the writin on the wall thing ;)

in fact you can go one better, and im sure someone will agree, come back in morning when its all gone dark all over, then with the trowel at a 40 degree angle, pull it backwards, TOWARDS you, VERY carefully to avoid leaving gouges in it..
this little technique will remove any lines missed from the day before (tiredness, rushing, labourers work etc) and by god will it polish it up, nice tip but you wanna avoid havin to if at all possible....

As a painter do you mist coat?
I've always been told to advise two mist coats but obviously I'm never there to see it!
What would you advise as one of the guys who has to deal with what we leave behind?
Any particualr annoyances?
:)

i allways mist coat and 2 coats neat. but some jobs i done its mist coat and 3 neat coats. and i only price for three coats. most plasters are pretty good, it does matter if it needs a bit of filler, i took a job on before a hole house in fact priced it for 3 coats through out all white, i dint really take a close look at the walls and ceiling, i put a coat on the walls and there were impefections everywere it took me 2 weeks to put it right, it went round every room with a trouble light and pencil and i was there for 4 months all to getter

talking about pissing people off if your on a site and the other plasterers are tossers if you piss in there knocking up water they'll find there plaster goes off like a rocket ,normally just after they've tipped it on the spot!

like that one ;D
wondering how u'd achieve it though...most people fill bucket and knock it straight up, youd have to be bloody quick...

The bloke i work with pissed in another spreads water butt and he said he saw him sweeling his face with it, I did laugh but its a bit naughty, i dont think he does those things any more, well i hope not any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.